Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:58 pm
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:48 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 pm
Probate in my case took almost a year.
Your Grandma hasn't been gone that long. Based on all your family discord, I'm pretty sure it is being contested.
It may be a very long time before you see any of that money, if you get it at all.
Sorry.

Sadly, you’re probably right. The thing that blows my mind is we aren’t talking about a huge sum of money either, not even enough to pay my rent for a year.

Post office says I can pick it up at 7am tomorrow, I’m not even holding my breath it will be there like it should but hopefully I’ll get some answers then.
I'm sure her lawyer is being paid out of the estate. That will leave even less money to go around.
Good luck.

Yep, she’s also the kind who would do everything in her power to prevent me from getting any money even if that means she loses money in the end. So I’m not expecting much of a check at all.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I’m in Texas and when my mom died without a will (10 years ago so some details are fuzzy), my dad had to probate her portion of the “estate”. He had to hire a lawyer, who sent my brother and I forms through certified mail. The forms basically stated that we weren’t contesting the fact that our dad had ALL legal rights to our mom’s part of the estate.
My brother and I signed them and sent them back by certified mail.

All that just to say, it could be any kind of forms/correspondence. I think, usually lawyers send stuff through certified mail so that there is a record of the person receiving the forms. It is to make sure that people can’t claim that they never received any kind of letter from the lawyer.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:57 pm I’m in Texas and when my mom died without a will (10 years ago so some details are fuzzy), my dad had to probate her portion of the “estate”. He had to hire a lawyer, who sent my brother and I forms through certified mail. The forms basically stated that we weren’t contesting the fact that our dad had ALL legal rights to our mom’s part of the estate.
My brother and I signed them and sent them back by certified mail.

All that just to say, it could be any kind of forms/correspondence. I think, usually lawyers send stuff through certified mail so that there is a record of the person receiving the forms. It is to make sure that people can’t claim that they never received any kind of letter from the lawyer.

Ahh I didn’t even think about that, maybe that’s what it is.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

It could also be the check. Be sure to update us. Good luck.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:23 pm

And that would not surprise me in the least.
Your Grandma hasn't been gone that long. Based on all your family discord, I'm pretty sure it is being contested.
It may be a very long time before you see any of that money, if you get it at all.
Sorry.

Sadly, you’re probably right. The thing that blows my mind is we aren’t talking about a huge sum of money either, not even enough to pay my rent for a year.

Post office says I can pick it up at 7am tomorrow, I’m not even holding my breath it will be there like it should but hopefully I’ll get some answers then.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:56 am It could also be the check. Be sure to update us. Good luck.
Sorry.

I’m fixing to go to the post office and see if they have it for me. I’ll let y’all know.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:07 pm Grandma left a will.

She left me some money which has pissed off several aunts and cousins.

One of the pissed of aunts is the executor and she hired a probate lawyer.

The court date came and went and she didn’t bother to tell me about it, which I believe by law she has to, but now I come home to a pink slip from usps saying I have a certified letter from the attorney she hired.

Any clue what it is? I suspect it’s a check for my portion of the estate but the court date was July 3rd and I can tell based on online info about it that she was named the executor. Could that happen this soon? Or is it something else?

She hasn’t responded to texts since June 11th nor emails or phone calls so I can not ask her.

And yes. I’m aware that no one here is psychic and can tell me what’s in that letter but I’m assuming if you’ve probated a will you might have a better idea on what it could be.
Generally I work in family law, but I do some estate law too. Unless you are a beneficiary, she has no legal obligation to contact you or tell you anything about the Will - at least in the jurisdictions that I have worked in. Probated Will are public documents. You can draw the file from the courthouse and read it.

As for the USPS pink slip, that could be anything really, so just pick it up and open it.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:02 am
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:07 pm Grandma left a will.

She left me some money which has pissed off several aunts and cousins.

One of the pissed of aunts is the executor and she hired a probate lawyer.

The court date came and went and she didn’t bother to tell me about it, which I believe by law she has to, but now I come home to a pink slip from usps saying I have a certified letter from the attorney she hired.

Any clue what it is? I suspect it’s a check for my portion of the estate but the court date was July 3rd and I can tell based on online info about it that she was named the executor. Could that happen this soon? Or is it something else?

She hasn’t responded to texts since June 11th nor emails or phone calls so I can not ask her.

And yes. I’m aware that no one here is psychic and can tell me what’s in that letter but I’m assuming if you’ve probated a will you might have a better idea on what it could be.
Generally I work in family law, but I do some estate law too. Unless you are a beneficiary, she has no legal obligation to contact you or tell you anything about the Will - at least in the jurisdictions that I have worked in. Probated Will are public documents. You can draw the file from the courthouse and read it.

As for the USPS pink slip, that could be anything really, so just pick it up and open it.

I am named in the will as a beneficiary.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

That's great! Thanks for the update. I hope things do go very smoothly for you. :)
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:19 am That's great! Thanks for the update. I hope things do go very smoothly for you. :)
Me too, we shall see though
Locked Previous topicNext topic