2 questions not related to each other. Dh and I can’t agree. I don’t want to make 2 posts.

hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Your son can retake the test next year. I,m an ex NYer and found this out. As for the tent, let them have their own tent.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:02 pm Question 1: We’re going camping for a week next month. We’ve been camping plenty of times but we always rent a cabin at the campground. This year we’re tent camping. My 8 yr old is fighting hard to either share a tent with her 7 yr old sister or get her own tent. Dh and I planned on making the 7 and 8 yr olds share with us. I’m not quite sure if I want them in their on tent. Dh thinks it’s fine. What do you think?

Question 2: I live in Ny and the high school kids take regents exams at the end of the year. (I have no clue how other states do it) my 15 yr old passed all regents. I got an email a few days ago from the algebra teacher saying that my kid passed the math regents with an 85% but he has the ability to get mastery level, which I guess is 95% or better, so the teacher wants him to retake it at 8 am August 13. Which is in the middle of our camping week. The campground we go to is 45 minutes away. He would have to be at the school for 3 hours. I think it’s fine to let him skip it because he did pass, he doesn’t want to retake it because he’ll miss a huge chunk of the day. Dh thinks he should retake it since he didn’t do as well as he could. What say you?

Dh and I usually agree on everything but these two things we’re stuck on. I’m just wondering what everyone else would do?
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

1. Girls get their own tents. We same every year and the kids always, unless infants or toddlers, got their own tents.
2. If son doesn't want to take it then don't fired him to. It should be his decision.
i want candy!
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

1 - get a two room tent. One room for you, the other for the girls. Same tent with a bit of privacy.
2 - If your regents are like the FSA, the score matters to the school for money, not the actual kid. Tell them to stick it, your son passed.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 pm On question 1, I'm trying to figure out why on earth it wouldn't be ok for the two girls to share a tent together. We've done a lot of tent camping over the years and our boys shared their own tent from a young age. It's not like they are on the other side of the campground. They are still on the same site as us, their tent literally feet from our tent. Why would you make them be in a tent with you guys? I'm genuinely curious.

On question 2, what is the purpose of the regents? Is it just simply to make sure they pass? Or are scores used in determining next years classes (like whether to put him in honors classes or not)? If it's just simply to pass and that's it, then I see no reason to retake the exam. If there's more to it like class placement then it might be more important to retake it, even if he has to miss part of the camping trip.
Personally, my biggest concern would be child predators that might be camping nearby. I’m probably being overly paranoid, but I have 2 girls and feel they would be very vulnerable in a tent by themselves.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 pm On question 1, I'm trying to figure out why on earth it wouldn't be ok for the two girls to share a tent together. We've done a lot of tent camping over the years and our boys shared their own tent from a young age. It's not like they are on the other side of the campground. They are still on the same site as us, their tent literally feet from our tent. Why would you make them be in a tent with you guys? I'm genuinely curious.

On question 2, what is the purpose of the regents? Is it just simply to make sure they pass? Or are scores used in determining next years classes (like whether to put him in honors classes or not)? If it's just simply to pass and that's it, then I see no reason to retake the exam. If there's more to it like class placement then it might be more important to retake it, even if he has to miss part of the camping trip.
The Regents exams are finals that are made up by the state. Some high school classes have school-made finals and some classes have Regents. The Regents exams do not weigh any more heavily than school-made finals, but the scores are listed on the students' final transcripts. I think the only reason a college would bother looking at that column is like if the student is applying to be a science major, they might look to see if the kid's Regents scores were in line with his other scores in the subject area. I doubt most schools would bother.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Then, call me paranoid, too. I'd worry about the same thing.
Anonymous 6 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Personally, my biggest concern would be child predators that might be camping nearby. I’m probably being overly paranoid, but I have 2 girls and feel they would be very vulnerable in a tent by themselves.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

The children should be in the tent with you and your DH. You can buy cabin tents with two rooms.

Let your son decide about retaking the test unless a higher score would have a significant impact.
Thunderbug75
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I would the kids have their own tent but their tent would be real close to mine.

As far as the test goes, I'd let him skip it if he wanted. The only exception would be if scholarship money was dependant upon the test score.

Have fun camping .... personally I would hate it but I know lots of people who live for annual camping trips.
Emandab
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I agree with your dh on both accounts. Sorry.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Yes, you are being overly paranoid because it's tents. You can hear everything. If someone tried to get into the kids' tent you would hear it. If you are so heavy a sleeper that you wouldn't hear them getting into the kids' tent, then you won't hear them getting into your tent either and therefore the girls are at as much risk in your tent as in their own tent right next to yours.
Having them in your own tent is nothing more than a false sense of security.
Locked Previous topicNext topic