You sound like you're about 10 yrs old.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:09 am
Valentina327 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:41 pm
Pjmm wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:48 pm

But it's their aunt and uncle so why wouldn't you? I don't understand but sure. Carry on.
I think it's more of a comfortable thing than a disrespect thing. You're more casual and less formal with those you're close to. I don't think this is meant in a mean way.

Everyone has little inside jokes with those they're closer with. My nieces call their other 2 aunts aunt first name. Me they call AA or bunny. I've been very involved with them since they were 20 minutes old. The other aunts they see maybe twice a year.
I suppose so. It just seems odd to me they laugh about it, especially with the sil wanting to be called aunt. Apparently there's history and no one likes her. I grew up calling most of my parents friends aunt someone, not just relatives. It was meant to be respectful but not as formal as Mrs. So and so.
Yep. That's what we did too! It makes me laugh now that I'm the adult, because my BFFs nieces all call me AA (shortened version of auntie Ann). My middle nieces boyfriend who I adore calls me AA. Some of their basketball friends do too. I think it's cute. Plus I love being an auntie!

I still use aunt with my BFFs aunts out of respect. I'm 52. Old habits die hard! LOL
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:59 am You sound like you're about 10 yrs old.
I was when they started doing this. It's something all the grand and great grandkids have learned.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That is not a situation that would fly in my extended family. I wouldn't think it's funny or cute for my kids to be that rude and that behavior would be stopped. You don't have to like everyone the same, but you dont publicly rank everyone and disrespect them.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:40 pm That is not a situation that would fly in my extended family. I wouldn't think it's funny or cute for my kids to be that rude and that behavior would be stopped. You don't have to like everyone the same, but you dont publicly rank everyone and disrespect them.
None of the other adults know what's going on. It's only the grandkids and me. No one else knows. It's one of the things only the younger ones gets.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:23 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:40 pm That is not a situation that would fly in my extended family. I wouldn't think it's funny or cute for my kids to be that rude and that behavior would be stopped. You don't have to like everyone the same, but you dont publicly rank everyone and disrespect them.
None of the other adults know what's going on. It's only the grandkids and me. No one else knows. It's one of the things only the younger ones gets.
"The adults were talking about it and trying to figure out who gets called what" not according to your post. And it isn't any less disrespectful just because it's done behind their backs.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm a southern girl so respect is a big thing for me..that includes titles. My girls are not allowed to call their aunts/uncles anything but Aunt/ Uncle ______. Period. End of story. They are required to use Mr. or Ms. _________ for our friends. They are not allowed to use just their names.
This makes you seem very immature IMO. It doesn't matter if you are closer in age to the children..you are an adult and as such should impress upon them that they are being disrespectful.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:29 pm
CherryTreez wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:23 pm
"The adults were talking about it and trying to figure out who gets called what" not according to your post. And it isn't any less disrespectful just because it's done behind their backs.
They don't know why who gets what. Just that they call differen people different things.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:33 pm I'm a southern girl so respect is a big thing for me..that includes titles. My girls are not allowed to call their aunts/uncles anything but Aunt/ Uncle ______. Period. End of story. They are required to use Mr. or Ms. _________ for our friends. They are not allowed to use just their names.
This makes you seem very immature IMO. It doesn't matter if you are closer in age to the children..you are an adult and as such should impress upon them that they are being disrespectful.
Half of the grandkids kids are adults or older teens. I was two years older and never wanted to called aunt. I never want to be called aunt. I like being called by a nickname by the kids.
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We only use nicknames if the person requests it or they grew up with that nickname.
i want candy!
Locked Previous topicNext topic