LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:28 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:14 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:27 pm I would be in favor of allowing the student to choose between the mental health class and an immersion in reading comprehension/science/math. I wouldn't want my child to be stuck in one class when he could use the help in another.

I would prefer that the entire curriculum for several weeks in their required core classes focus on academic but with the topic of mental health: so English/reading would be reading about mental issues and then a novel that is at the appropriate level, about stigma of mental health with comprehension exams. I would want them to focus their science lesson on the brain, and also the brain body connection and the impact mental has on physical health. I would want math to focus on doing problem solving about the cost of mental health to our nation, pharmaceuticals vs. alternative therapies & other equation problems; their civics class could talk about community policy and prevention, etc.

As the old saying goes, "two birds, one stone".

So they are still getting basic academics, but with a mental health focus.

Our elementary school already has essentially what I consider a mental health prevention course for students, where they talk about managing emotions, stress, resiliency, etc. They focus on mindfulness and other researched techniques to help kids. It's nice, but it is better than Spanish? (which is what they used to have instead) IDK...

Look at the CDC's statistics on suicide, especially for teens. It's grim. Our society has a serious problem. It can happen in any family. So can mental illness. Things won't change until people are educated about the issue. It's more important than a Spanish class.
I know, it is heartbreaking isn't it? Suicide rates are sky-rocketing in our teen girls. Drug abuse is actually higher than ever. I haven't gone back through the thread to see if you are the one who was so personally affected. I am sorry if you were and I hope your family member is doing better.

I still feel this is really trying to put a band-aide on the problem. The problem with this needs to start with FAMILIES much earlier, so we are parenting children in a way that provides them with the life skills for today's challenges. Social media, tech and peer communication is unlike any other generation has experienced, "the well, I turned out alright" and "it's all a chemical imbalance" or "well if we just raise awareness among peers" are not cutting it. I don't think many of us really understand how to best navigate all the current world challenges -- myself included, I am NOT pointing fingers. I read one parenting book a week practically, and read TONS of research and I am still fuzzy on what to do. Did you know that 1 in 4 mothers are clinically depressed, that bodes to worse outcomes for out children as well. Why are we? why are our teens and children suddenly unable to cope and find mental wellness, when in reality they have MORE economic & social advantages than every other generation?

I think mental health starts in toddler-hood and pre-school. Most parents are doing the best they can, but with the dramatic safety and achievement concerns, some are way TOO engaged. And no parent wants to be told how to parent, I mean, those are fighting words, right? And then you have the segment who just don't give a damn, no matter what you say. IDK, the answer.

Please do not misunderstand, I'm not opposed to the curriculum, but any curriculum takes money/funding. I have not noticed a robust set of skills in my children based on the curriculum. I just to make sure we are putting the resources where they can BEST impact our youth and society's future.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:28 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:14 pm

I would prefer that the entire curriculum for several weeks in their required core classes focus on academic but with the topic of mental health: so English/reading would be reading about mental issues and then a novel that is at the appropriate level, about stigma of mental health with comprehension exams. I would want them to focus their science lesson on the brain, and also the brain body connection and the impact mental has on physical health. I would want math to focus on doing problem solving about the cost of mental health to our nation, pharmaceuticals vs. alternative therapies & other equation problems; their civics class could talk about community policy and prevention, etc.

As the old saying goes, "two birds, one stone".

So they are still getting basic academics, but with a mental health focus.

Our elementary school already has essentially what I consider a mental health prevention course for students, where they talk about managing emotions, stress, resiliency, etc. They focus on mindfulness and other researched techniques to help kids. It's nice, but it is better than Spanish? (which is what they used to have instead) IDK...

Look at the CDC's statistics on suicide, especially for teens. It's grim. Our society has a serious problem. It can happen in any family. So can mental illness. Things won't change until people are educated about the issue. It's more important than a Spanish class.
I know, it is heartbreaking isn't it? Suicide rates are sky-rocketing in our teen girls. Drug abuse is actually higher than ever. I haven't gone back through the thread to see if you are the one who was so personally affected. I am sorry if you were and I hope your family member is doing better.

I still feel this is really trying to put a band-aide on the problem. The problem with this needs to start with FAMILIES much earlier, so we are parenting children in a way that provides them with the life skills for today's challenges. Social media, tech and peer communication is unlike any other generation has experienced, "the well, I turned out alright" and "it's all a chemical imbalance" or "well if we just raise awareness among peers" are not cutting it. I don't think many of us really understand how to best navigate all the current world challenges -- myself included, I am NOT pointing fingers. I read one parenting book a week practically, and read TONS of research and I am still fuzzy on what to do. Did you know that 1 in 4 mothers are clinically depressed, that bodes to worse outcomes for out children as well. Why are we? why are our teens and children suddenly unable to cope and find mental wellness, when in reality they have MORE economic & social advantages than every other generation?

I think mental health starts in toddler-hood and pre-school. Most parents are doing the best they can, but with the dramatic safety and achievement concerns, some are way TOO engaged. And no parent wants to be told how to parent, I mean, those are fighting words, right? And then you have the segment who just don't give a damn, no matter what you say. IDK, the answer.

Please do not misunderstand, I'm not opposed to the curriculum, but any curriculum takes money/funding. I have not noticed a robust set of skills in my children based on the curriculum. I just to make sure we are putting the resources where they can BEST impact our youth and society's future.

I'm not the member you're thinking of. My sister has battled mental illness. She had a lengthy hospital stay. We failed her in the beginning of her illness. We were highly educated people who knew zero about mental illness. We honestly didn't think it could happen to someone like our sister or in our family.

There is still such a stigma about mental illness that it keeps many in ignorance. That's not going to change until we talk about it as openly as we diacuss things like high blood pressure. There's so many people who try to cope with things like depression on their own because they're scared of being judged. Approaching it in a matter of fact way in a class dedicated to mental health is an excellent way to start taking the fear and shame away.

The classes won't fix the problem by themselves. They are a strong first start. The results will be there though it may take years to see them.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

The average school in America is not failing children.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:48 pm Would you allow your sixth grader to take a mental health class as part of the school curriculum?
When schools are constantly forced to cut back, when schools are failing our children academically at every age do you think spending money for a mental health class is justified?
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I think it's a wonderful idea.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:27 pm I would be in favor of allowing the student to choose between the mental health class and an immersion in reading comprehension/science/math. I wouldn't want my child to be stuck in one class when he could use the help in another.

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:23 pm I would prefer it be immersed in the typical reading comprehension, science and math curriculum.
You think that they would be replacing reading science or math for this class? That wouldn't make sense. Yes, this would be helpful for all the kids who are wondering if there is something wrong with them or help them understand why some kids might act "weird" to them or parents who are depressed. The stigma is starting to go away. Twenty-somethings are pretty open about their diagnoses unlike decades ago when it had to be hidden. Let's hope this continues.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I know what my son would have done if he were given a choice in the matter. He'd choose more help in math.

Earlier in the post, I asked OP to cut and paste a description of this mental health course. I wish she would so that I (we) would be better equipped to respond most appropriately. I don't know what the class would help with because I don't know what the class entails.

But yes. I'm in favor of a focus on removing the stigma that is attached to mental health disorders.
Lemons wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:37 pm

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:23 pm I would prefer it be immersed in the typical reading comprehension, science and math curriculum.
You think that they would be replacing reading science or math for this class? That wouldn't make sense. Yes, this would be helpful for all the kids who are wondering if there is something wrong with them or help them understand why some kids might act "weird" to them or parents who are depressed. The stigma is starting to go away. Twenty-somethings are pretty open about their diagnoses unlike decades ago when it had to be hidden. Let's hope this continues.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm all for required mental health classes for upper elementary and beyond. It isn't spoken about enough publically imo, and there is still the negative stigma attached to it. Drawing focus to mental health at a younger age could relieve some of that stigma, making it easier for people to reach out for, and to offer, help.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

I know, it is heartbreaking isn't it? Suicide rates are sky-rocketing in our teen girls.
Uhhh...what?

Teenage boys commit suicide at five times the rate of teenage girls. This isn’t a gender specific problem, but if it were, it would be a male problem. Males have always had higher rates of completed suicide at any age at any point in history. Girls attempt more with non-lethal means, but boys have far, far higher risk for completed suicide.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:49 am
I know, it is heartbreaking isn't it? Suicide rates are sky-rocketing in our teen girls.
Uhhh...what?

Teenage boys commit suicide at five times the rate of teenage girls. This isn’t a gender specific problem, but if it were, it would be a male problem. Males have always had higher rates of completed suicide at any age at any point in history. Girls attempt more with non-lethal means, but boys have far, far higher risk for completed suicide.
Don’t lecture me please. I was referring to the recent JAMA study, not covering every mental health issue in one conversation.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... tudy-finds
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:16 pm So what is it exactly? Are they teaching the kids about the different types of mental health issues and what they mean for a person who has it? Because I'd say that's extremely important, moreso than a lot of the other academic stuff they teach. As a society we are severly lacking in education and comprehension of mental health issues. It's a good thing if schools are starting to teach kids about it and what it means.

Chances are about 30% of the kids in the class have some sort of mental health issue themselves. Another 50% probably have a parent at home with a mental health issue. When kids don't understand something is when they get the most scared of it.
By 18 85% of Canadians will have been affected by mental health issues - either having an illness themselves or having a family member, friend or classmate with a mental illness. That stat came from polling 18 year olds. I bet even more are affected but the person hasn't been diagnosed. We can assume the number would be about the same in the rest of the developed world.

I'd much rather have my kid learn about mental health than spend a month on Champlain settling Canada.
Locked Previous topicNext topic