Mental Health requirement

Anonymous 7

Unread post

I support the mental health curriculum my daughter's school had. One of the topics was how to help a friend. When my 13 year old daughter sent a cryptic message to her friend nearly a year ago, instead of brushing it off as her friend being dramatic, the girl went straight to her mother who drove over to my house to check on my daughter. I was having a nap (she admits to choosing to do it because she knew I was napping) and rushed into her room to find her on a chair with a noose around her neck and blood dripping from cuts on her wrists. The message was "im sorry, I love you but I can't do this anymore". Had it not been for the mental health lessons they had had in grade 6 and 7 there's a good chance I would have buried my daughter that week instead of visiting her in the hospital for a month.

When she returned to school she was able to talk openly abour her diagnosis instead of hiding it away and her peers supported her because they'd been taught that mental illness isn't something shameful.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Maybe such a class will help a struggling kid seek help instead of shooting up the school or hurting themselves. Seems like a small price to pay to potentially save lives, no?
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Absolutely. I think mental health is very important and have said a very long time that it should be focused on in schools when it’s brought up because of school shootings.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:14 pm I support the mental health curriculum my daughter's school had. One of the topics was how to help a friend. When my 13 year old daughter sent a cryptic message to her friend nearly a year ago, instead of brushing it off as her friend being dramatic, the girl went straight to her mother who drove over to my house to check on my daughter. I was having a nap (she admits to choosing to do it because she knew I was napping) and rushed into her room to find her on a chair with a noose around her neck and blood dripping from cuts on her wrists. The message was "im sorry, I love you but I can't do this anymore". Had it not been for the mental health lessons they had had in grade 6 and 7 there's a good chance I would have buried my daughter that week instead of visiting her in the hospital for a month.

When she returned to school she was able to talk openly abour her diagnosis instead of hiding it away and her peers supported her because they'd been taught that mental illness isn't something shameful.
I'm so glad your daughter is OK and that her friend checked on her! I think this type of class should be a requirement for all schools everywhere. If such a curriculum was available when I was in school I might not be so fucked up now. I only got a proper diagnosis 3 months ago after struggling my whole life being told to calm down and toughen up. If you don't have a healthy mind, then you're not healthy period. Mental health is just as important as physical health even more so.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Your reply nearly made me cry reading it. I know your struggle and daughters struggle all too well. I’m glad her friend took it seriously.
Anonymous 7 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:14 pm I support the mental health curriculum my daughter's school had. One of the topics was how to help a friend. When my 13 year old daughter sent a cryptic message to her friend nearly a year ago, instead of brushing it off as her friend being dramatic, the girl went straight to her mother who drove over to my house to check on my daughter. I was having a nap (she admits to choosing to do it because she knew I was napping) and rushed into her room to find her on a chair with a noose around her neck and blood dripping from cuts on her wrists. The message was "im sorry, I love you but I can't do this anymore". Had it not been for the mental health lessons they had had in grade 6 and 7 there's a good chance I would have buried my daughter that week instead of visiting her in the hospital for a month.

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:27 pm I would be in favor of allowing the student to choose between the mental health class and an immersion in reading comprehension/science/math. I wouldn't want my child to be stuck in one class when he could use the help in another.

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:23 pm I would prefer it be immersed in the typical reading comprehension, science and math curriculum.
I would prefer that the entire curriculum for several weeks in their required core classes focus on academic but with the topic of mental health: so English/reading would be reading about mental issues and then a novel that is at the appropriate level, about stigma of mental health with comprehension exams. I would want them to focus their science lesson on the brain, and also the brain body connection and the impact mental has on physical health. I would want math to focus on doing problem solving about the cost of mental health to our nation, pharmaceuticals vs. alternative therapies & other equation problems; their civics class could talk about community policy and prevention, etc.

As the old saying goes, "two birds, one stone".

So they are still getting basic academics, but with a mental health focus.

Our elementary school already has essentially what I consider a mental health prevention course for students, where they talk about managing emotions, stress, resiliency, etc. They focus on mindfulness and other researched techniques to help kids. It's nice, but it is better than Spanish? (which is what they used to have instead) IDK...
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So what is it exactly? Are they teaching the kids about the different types of mental health issues and what they mean for a person who has it? Because I'd say that's extremely important, moreso than a lot of the other academic stuff they teach. As a society we are severly lacking in education and comprehension of mental health issues. It's a good thing if schools are starting to teach kids about it and what it means.

Chances are about 30% of the kids in the class have some sort of mental health issue themselves. Another 50% probably have a parent at home with a mental health issue. When kids don't understand something is when they get the most scared of it.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:05 pm I think it would be a great idea. It would not have to be a year long course but a section of course. For example have it added to PE or such for one week. It is a very important aspect of our well being and one that has been sadly ignored for way too long.
I agree except I think one week is way too short for mental health. I would say a year long Health Class where one semester is mental health and the other semester is physical health. Both types of health are equally important.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:14 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:27 pm I would be in favor of allowing the student to choose between the mental health class and an immersion in reading comprehension/science/math. I wouldn't want my child to be stuck in one class when he could use the help in another.

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:23 pm I would prefer it be immersed in the typical reading comprehension, science and math curriculum.
I would prefer that the entire curriculum for several weeks in their required core classes focus on academic but with the topic of mental health: so English/reading would be reading about mental issues and then a novel that is at the appropriate level, about stigma of mental health with comprehension exams. I would want them to focus their science lesson on the brain, and also the brain body connection and the impact mental has on physical health. I would want math to focus on doing problem solving about the cost of mental health to our nation, pharmaceuticals vs. alternative therapies & other equation problems; their civics class could talk about community policy and prevention, etc.

As the old saying goes, "two birds, one stone".

So they are still getting basic academics, but with a mental health focus.

Our elementary school already has essentially what I consider a mental health prevention course for students, where they talk about managing emotions, stress, resiliency, etc. They focus on mindfulness and other researched techniques to help kids. It's nice, but it is better than Spanish? (which is what they used to have instead) IDK...

Look at the CDC's statistics on suicide, especially for teens. It's grim. Our society has a serious problem. It can happen in any family. So can mental illness. Things won't change until people are educated about the issue. It's more important than a Spanish class.
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'm not sure it warrants its own class, but mental health should absolutely be covered in health class.

I'm not sure how public schools do it now, but beginning in middle school, we had health class one semester and gym the the other. So that was 3 semesters in middle and 4 semesters in high school dedicated to health. Plenty of time to address mental health within the time allotted.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
Locked Previous topicNext topic