I caved and bought my daughter a new phone

Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

She is going to be sophomore and has a crappy I phone 6 on its last leg. The audio has now gone due to the screen repair place messing it up. There is no point on me putting any more money into this old phone. We have strict screen time limits in place due to bad grades in school. She has hardly any apps only homework/church/life 360 and limited texting. She had to take summer school all day for 3 weeks and retake algebra and she did well. She got a C 1st sem and B for second she also really liked this teacher. The phone has been a huge problem since she was on it all the time so once we implemented strict screen time limits and removed some apps she now has a life outside of her phone. New phone rules will be implemented as well for this new phone

I didn't want to get her the latest and greatest. I have an iphone 7 plus which I love and its paid off. I bought her a brand new Sprint I phone 8 plus, supposed to arrive tomorrow, for the same price as what the Sprint store wanted for a used one. This E bay seller is huge and has a 99.1 rating and phone was shipped quick and supposed to be here tmrw. The phone was $449. That is a steal for new. I am adding her to my Sprint plan for $25 a month since we are bringing in our own phone.

So I hate the phone topic but I think its a necessary evil and since the screen time limits have been working, during the school week I am limiting her to 1 hour a day, obvious exception for her homework apps which are unlimited.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Cool!
My almost 15 yr old does not have a phone yet. Maybe she will get one next year.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My son will have a phone when he can pay for it. We have a house phone in the meantime.
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

well honestly I wanted to get her a flip phone which she will refuse to use. She picks her brother up from school and we need to communicate. 99% of her friends have one and most have nicer phones than her which I don't care about but I think the 8 + is a nice upgrade and for the cost it was a good deal is that is going to be her phone for the next 1-2 years. She likes to choose her cases and they suck. My phone has an awesome bendy flex case, and my phone has been dropped at least 2 dozen times and has NEVER broke. I ordered her the case I have and she has to use it. No exceptions.

Inmybizz wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:28 pm Cool!
My almost 15 yr old does not have a phone yet. Maybe she will get one next year.
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My almost 11 year old granddaughter has a phone. It is heavily controlled by her mom and dad but it was decided to let her have one so she can be reached and she can reach out in case of emergency. She rarely uses it, and although I'm one of the few who can text her, she goes weeks without turning it on. She does use it to design outfits and make little movies. When she was on a trip with her other grandparents last week she sent us pictures of the things she saw.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Cool.

I still can't imagine spending hundreds on a phone like that for anyone in the household. I have a new LG Phoenix 4 that I spent $80 on. DH has a used iPhone 4 that we spent I think $60 on a few years ago. DS14 have my old iPhone 3GS that just does talk and text. I bought that used several years ago for $40. He doesn't even use it, only takes it with him when I tell him to "just in case". DS12 has no phone at all.

DH and I have AT&T prepaid plans that have unlimited text and data. We each spend $45/mo for that plan.

I don't see the point in spending more.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Ok.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

stilltfez wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:48 pm My almost 11 year old granddaughter has a phone. It is heavily controlled by her mom and dad but it was decided to let her have one so she can be reached and she can reach out in case of emergency. She rarely uses it, and although I'm one of the few who can text her, she goes weeks without turning it on. She does use it to design outfits and make little movies. When she was on a trip with her other grandparents last week she sent us pictures of the things she saw.

In case of emergency.

I guess I don't understand this. My son is 10 and isn't allowed to go anywhere while I'm gone, unless his friends parents say he can stay there. I know where he is at all times. I would just go get him in an emergency or call his friends phones or their parents phones. And we have a house phone. It's what everyone did before cell phones. Not sure why it can't apply today. Maybe I'm just overprotective but at this age he isn't allowed to go to the park, etc even with friends without an adult.
noitsmebecky
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My 11yo has had a phone since he was allowed to stay home by himself for an hour here or there. It’s never been an issue. The worst I’ve caught him doing is texting late at night but I talked to him about it.
“Nevertheless, she persisted.”
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My 11 yr old son has a crappy Tracphone flip phone. I renew the minutes and texts every 90 days.

He never has the phone on him anyways we only have it for rare times he is home alone for an hour or 2. I will eventually give him my phone if and when I decide to upgrade.

noitsmebecky wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:05 pm My 11yo has had a phone since he was allowed to stay home by himself for an hour here or there. It’s never been an issue. The worst I’ve caught him doing is texting late at night but I talked to him about it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic