Is not speaking to someone disrespectful ?

AubreeGrace17
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:52 pm
AubreeGrace17 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:16 am I need more info to answer this.
Son and stepfather don’t speak.
That is disrespectful.
RedBottoms

Unread post

mama_danetta wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:55 pm Standing there in petulant silence as someone tries to make conversation? Rude.
No one is owed the pleasure of my conversation

Unread post

AubreeGrace17 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:01 am
Guest wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:52 pm
AubreeGrace17 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:16 am I need more info to answer this.
Son and stepfather don’t speak.
That is disrespectful.
Who is disrespectful ? Should conversations be forced?
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If I'm in a household and I noticed that two people were never speaking to one another unless spoken to, I might see that as a clear indication of trouble to follow.
Guest wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:38 pm
WickedLauraBelle wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:20 pm Depends. If a child isn’t speaking to a parent or adult yes. What I mean is if I’m the adult and 12 year old Susie is mad at me and not speaking to me but I ask her a question she better damn well answer me. If she just doesn’t want to chit chat fine. But if she is down right ignoring me. That is disrespectful.
If asked a direct question they answer but they don’t say anything to each other, no direct questions or anything
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I believe that it's ignorant to enter a dwelling and not say hello to any person you come in contact with.

RealisticBeauty wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:44 pm yup. My SO dd use to walk into our home without speaking to me and I told him that its unacceptable

Unread post

SeekingPeace wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:31 pm If I'm in a household and I noticed that two people were never speaking to one another unless spoken to, I might see that as a clear indication of trouble to follow.
Guest wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:38 pm
WickedLauraBelle wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:20 pm Depends. If a child isn’t speaking to a parent or adult yes. What I mean is if I’m the adult and 12 year old Susie is mad at me and not speaking to me but I ask her a question she better damn well answer me. If she just doesn’t want to chit chat fine. But if she is down right ignoring me. That is disrespectful.
If asked a direct question they answer but they don’t say anything to each other, no direct questions or anything
I can’t force them to do anything. As long as they speak when spoken to & no fights. I can’t do anything.

Unread post

If two people have mutually agreed that they are better off not speaking, I wouldn't consider that disrespectful toward each other. However, it is disrespectful of them to put anyone else in the middle. And if they're living together, they are probably putting the rest of the household in the middle in some way or another.

Unread post

Guest wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:49 pm If two people have mutually agreed that they are better off not speaking, I wouldn't consider that disrespectful toward each other. However, it is disrespectful of them to put anyone else in the middle. And if they're living together, they are probably putting the rest of the household in the middle in some way or another.

I don’t feel in the middle. I would prefer that they talked, I cannot force it.
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I respectfully disagree with your assessment that your "home is peaceful."
Your son and your husband haven't been speaking for months.
Silence can be deafening and it can remove ALL the peace from a household.
Them not speaking for months, is most definitely what led to the CLASH that recently occurred between your husband and your son.
I don't know if your husband is just as guilty as your son; but it does appear to me that your son is not speaking to your husband as a means to not accept him. That's just my take on things from your other post. Either way...the "no talking" to one another has, in my opinion totally alienated them from each other.

I feel bad for the whole household and I think each of you are just as responsible as the next for doing whatever needs to be done to start talking.
Guest wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:38 pm
mrsmacgiver wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:55 pm So, step son and step father don't get along?

And they've decided the best way to deal with the situation is to not speak to each other?

I don't know if I'd call it disrespectful but it's definitely dysfunctional.
Yes it’s dysfunctional but not disrespectful. Not everyone is going to get along all the time. The home is peaceful, they just unspokenly decided not to talk anymore
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

And I respect that!

I do think it's perfectly fine for two adults to decide that they are better off not speaking to one another. Sometimes, that's the only way to maintain civility, too! :)
SisterSomeone wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:16 am Eh. For me, insult is always the intended purpose of the act. I don't do not speaking as a passive-aggressive thing. If I don't speak to someone, that is because I quite literally do not think that they are worth a single second of my time. On the other hand, it takes A LOT to get me to that point, so by the time I reached it, not speaking to the person is actually the most respectful thing I am capable of doing in their presence.
Locked Previous topicNext topic