If you budget for groceries do you include non-food items?

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:44 pm
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:36 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:29 pm If you are trying to budget, yes you should include all your expenditures.
Does it make sense to have one category for just food and another for other stuff like paper towels and tampons?

I’m trying to come up with a good starting point, I looked over what I’ve spent between groceries and pets and I’ve spent over 300 for the month of May already and I know I’m spending more than I should.
If it's easier for you to create different categories the yeah. Especially if you shop at different stores for the pet food and tampons vs grocery store. Otherwise, it might be easier to have one category "groceries" that includes food, toiletries, pet food, cleaning products, etc.

Hmm. Yeah I’m thinking I may separate it all.
Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Yes, sort of. It’s in my budget, but not specifically grocery budget. Some of those items I only buy every other month, some it’s once a month. So I have 2 monthly budgets and alternate every other month. For food, I budget $150 a week when it’s 3 of us and $200 when mdd is home as well.
Spookly
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Nope. Non food items go into my misc. budgeting which is usually around $100/ month.
Jlop0004
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Yes, we always do.
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

All consumables, so everything that needs to be replaced on a regular basis. Dog food comes from the dogs’ budget.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No, because those items I don't buy at the grocery store.
Emandab
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I do, cat stuff too. It would come out to about 125 per person. I'm not a strict budgeter though. Some months I spend more, some less. Just depends. Not cloths, shoes etc though.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:17 pm Things like:

Laundry detergent
Pet food
Shampoo

Or do you just budget for food?

I’m trying to act like a responsible adult and actually use a budget but what I’m reading is to budget 125 a month per person and that seems low if it’s also supposed to include things other than food.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I don't but that's because I buy things like paper towels, td, etc at Costco. My food budget includes anything I buy food shopping, including the bag's tip, and my Starbucks on the way home from the commissary.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t budget all per say. I just keep a number Od like to be under in mind and yes that includes everything I’d put in the cart.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes. But honestly, my budget is loose.
Locked Previous topicNext topic