If you have some type of keepsake memorial for a loved one...

Anonymous 4

Unread post

CandTmom wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:30 pm I'd just collect cash and send it in a card.
This, hubby's coworkers did this for us when his mom died last fall. It helped us so much at a rough time. Things were tight after a month of driving back and forth pretty much daily to the hospital over two hours away, and him missing work to be there to make decisions. He was her POA. So it helped us get back on track and just knowing how much people cared just really meant a lot to him.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

A nice floral arrangement, either directly to her or the funeral home. Or a tree or flowering shrub/bush.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:26 pm I'm curious as to why anyone would talk about how much something cost when it comes to a gift from the co-workers of the daughter of the deceased. He's not even your co-worker, his daughter is. So why would anyone be talking about or need to know about the cost? This is starting to look like you're trying to make a big show for your own benefit rather than supporting her thru her grief & finding a way to honor her dad.

I asked because I only have have a limited amount of money. So I did not want someone to show me something I didn't have enough for. That's why I also included the dollar amount I think I could collect. Plus I figured anything really nice is going to be expensive.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:38 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:26 pm I'm curious as to why anyone would talk about how much something cost when it comes to a gift from the co-workers of the daughter of the deceased. He's not even your co-worker, his daughter is. So why would anyone be talking about or need to know about the cost? This is starting to look like you're trying to make a big show for your own benefit rather than supporting her thru her grief & finding a way to honor her dad.

I asked because I only have have a limited amount of money. So I did not want someone to show me something I didn't have enough for. That's why I also included the dollar amount I think I could collect. Plus I figured anything really nice is going to be expensive.
don't you think it would make more sense to give her the money in a card signed by everyone who contributed instead of some useless, expensive decoration that has no actual connection to her dad? The money could help with funeral expenses, any medical bills, or help compensate for the time off she's had to take. A card signed by everyone who contributed would make it easier for her to thank those that helped.

If by the off chance that she and/or her dad were independently wealthy & money is no worry, then a donation to a charity related to his cause of death or one that her father or she were supportive of is still better than some random knicknack.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Multiple co-workers just donated a paver stone, that reads something like, in memory of “d........” friend, father, leader. It lines a walk to a national organization which he valued.

I also have donated money for bricks at a local children’s farm & park, the zoo, and a local performing arts center, in memory of friends. It just depends on what the deceased valued in life & if remaining family would be comforted to see the stone or paver in future visits to those locations.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

And I am sorry for your loss, I still miss my friend dearly. I hope you are doing OK.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I make memorial lanterns for people when they lose a loved one. They aren't pricey but they are well loved.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think she said that in order to provide a budget should anyone have any ideas. I don't think she was boasting about how much she was able to collect.

I think the OP sounds very thoughtful to be rallying her co-workers as she is. Its a very nice gesture what she's trying to do.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'd probably just give the cash with a card OP so that the family can use it in whatever way they deem fit. We never know what expenses people have. Maybe they can or it toward his marker or something like that.

That was very thoughtful of you ❤❤❤
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

If you could get a shirt or item of clothing that actually belonged to her dad they make bears or pillows out of them now called memorial bears or pillows. It is pretty cool. I put a link to one site but there are lots of others as well.

https://www.legacymemorybears.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic