She demanded to see the registration for my service dog

Anonymous 5

Unread post

I wish I could LIKE this 1,000 times!
Anonymous 8 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:19 pm I agree there needs to be stricter rules in place for those with legit service dogs. We have too many people passing their untrained animals as service animals, who are doing a disservice to the real people that benefit from them. Part of the problem is any Tom, Dick, or Harry can buy one of the service animal vests off Amazon slap it on their dog, and boom!
Anonymous 5

Unread post

THIS. I wish it was a law in all 50 states, that all SERVICE DOGS had to have a LICENSE. "No license on the dog"...No admission.

Diamepphyre wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:27 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:40 pm Some random lady came up to me in the library saying that she wanted to see the registration papers for my "service dog" (she did the whole air quote thing). This isnt the first time this has happened and I usually try to handle the situation by just educating people on service dogs. I didnt even get a few words out before she was saying that I was full of shit because they dont let pit bulls be service dogs

My dog isnt a pitbull she doesnt even look like a pit bull. Like not even a little bit, she is a golden retriever. I decided my best bet was to just walk away.

I bet her head would have exploded if I told her there is no such thing as a registered service dog or that I trained mine myself. It just wasnt worth it to try to explain it to someone that dumb.

My dog is a real service dog. I have MS and she helps me all day every day and I could not function properly without her. I dont mind answering questions about her but I have had to deal with people enough to know when it is just not worth it.
Because of all the losers who take advantage of the laws by claiming their animal is a service animal when it isn't, it's high time that we changed the laws to allow businesses to demand proof before they allow the animal in. I think it's beyond stupid that we don't already allow that. Anyone who truly has a service animal should not be offended by the question.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I thought she was trying to say that she'd like for businesses to not have to guess as to whether or not the animal is a service dog. As it is right now, businesses have no way of determining that a dog is truly a service dog and out of fear of being sued, they lean towards not asking the patron. Typically, they simply allow the dog to enter.

I don't think service dogs are the issue. More and more people are getting their dogs registered as "Emotional Support Animals" (ESA). To do that, all one needs is 10 minutes and access to the internet. Immediately after you've "registered" your ESA, you & your ESA will most definitely be granted access to most any local establishment...because the poor business owner doesn't know whether or not you have the right to have that animal in his store. Thinking your dog is a service dog he will simply allow the dog to enter.

There lies the problem. Because it is so easy to get animals registered as ESAs, there are a lot of people doing it! Hence, a rise in the number of dogs entering establishments. Store owners are confused as to what their rights are and they fear infringing on the rights of disabled people. So...they are allowing all the dogs to enter.

To insure that service dogs are always permitted IN and any other dogs are kept OUT, I'd like to see all service dogs be granted licenses. FULL LICENSE=FULL ENTRANCE. NO LICENSE=NO ENTRANCE. I think it would save a lot of grief for those with service dogs, retail establishments, and patrons.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:30 pm
Diamepphyre wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:27 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:40 pm Some random lady came up to me in the library saying that she wanted to see the registration papers for my "service dog" (she did the whole air quote thing). This isnt the first time this has happened and I usually try to handle the situation by just educating people on service dogs. I didnt even get a few words out before she was saying that I was full of shit because they dont let pit bulls be service dogs

My dog isnt a pitbull she doesnt even look like a pit bull. Like not even a little bit, she is a golden retriever. I decided my best bet was to just walk away.

I bet her head would have exploded if I told her there is no such thing as a registered service dog or that I trained mine myself. It just wasnt worth it to try to explain it to someone that dumb.

My dog is a real service dog. I have MS and she helps me all day every day and I could not function properly without her. I dont mind answering questions about her but I have had to deal with people enough to know when it is just not worth it.
Because of all the losers who take advantage of the laws by claiming their animal is a service animal when it isn't, it's high time that we changed the laws to allow businesses to demand proof before they allow the animal in. I think it's beyond stupid that we don't already allow that. Anyone who truly has a service animal should not be offended by the question.
Proof of what from where?
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

Everybody's dog is a service dog these days....
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Where are all these service animals? I rarely see them.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think it’s a good idea to have a national registry. An individual can train their dog to be a service dog ( it is their right) and have a licensed trainer test, sign off and register the dog; or have the foundation where the dog was bred, trained, and placed from do the registering. Additionally, require refresher training snd relicensing every two or three years, or some such standard.

To OP: you probably already know this but it is not required to disclose your disability under the ADA. They can only ask if the dog is s Service animal snd what does it do for the person with the disability if it is not obvious (like a wheelchair or s blind person).

I know it’s sometimes easier to disclose in order to educate and diffuse skeptics.

My dear friends’s son has a service dog in training from a foundation. He’ll be done training in less than one more year. They were educated on their rights under the ADA and their rights under the state where they live. My friend even has the section under the state’s office of disability bookmarked in her phone.
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 am I think it’s a good idea to have a national registry. An individual can train their dog to be a service dog ( it is their right) and have a licensed trainer test, sign off and register the dog; or have the foundation where the dog was bred, trained, and placed from do the registering. Additionally, require refresher training snd relicensing every two or three years, or some such standard.

To OP: you probably already know this but it is not required to disclose your disability under the ADA. They can only ask if the dog is s Service animal snd what does it do for the person with the disability if it is not obvious (like a wheelchair or s blind person).

I know it’s sometimes easier to disclose in order to educate and diffuse skeptics.

My dear friends’s son has a service dog in training from a foundation. He’ll be done training in less than one more year. They were educated on their rights under the ADA and their rights under the state where they live. My friend even has the section under the state’s office of disability bookmarked in her phone.
That's quite the expense for someone who may be living on government assistance unless the registration is free. Even every two years can be too soon.

I'd like more store managers to get enough balls to tell someone with a misbehaving dog to get out. They don't have to allow even a service animal that is misbehaving.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

That's horrible. I didn't know that service dogs weren't registered, I thought they had to be too. However, I never would have asked someone to see the paperwork.

It's gotten out of hand because like others said, people claim their pet is a service dog. I know someone that did that, and I told her constantly to knock it off. People like that ruin it for everyone.

I honestly think the dog should have to be registered as a service dog, and have a special tag on the collar. It would prevent a lot of this.

madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If she worked or volunteered there then that was illegal. A business cannot legally ask for proof of registration.
i want candy!
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t think such a registry should be an expense. It could just be that a licensed trainer has access to it and the trainer submit a flat fee to a fed agency or state agency.

I agree that shop owners should ask and do have a clear right to ask for a disruptive animal to be removed from the premises.
AllofFive19 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:34 am
cgd5112 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 am I think it’s a good idea to have a national registry. An individual can train their dog to be a service dog ( it is their right) and have a licensed trainer test, sign off and register the dog; or have the foundation where the dog was bred, trained, and placed from do the registering. Additionally, require refresher training snd relicensing every two or three years, or some such standard.

That's quite the expense for someone who may be living on government assistance unless the registration is free. Even every two years can be too soon.

I'd like more store managers to get enough balls to tell someone with a misbehaving dog to get out. They don't have to allow even a service animal that is misbehaving.
Locked Previous topicNext topic