ODD - Oppositional defiant disorder

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Does anyone have experience with this? Medications? Therapies?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Another made up disorder to excuse bad parenting.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:22 pm Another made up disorder to excuse bad parenting.
So that would be a "no" for you.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It is very prevalent in internationally adopted children. I have friends that have kids with ODD that were adopted from not so great situations. It is a very real thing.
Can it be an excuse? Sure.. people use tons of excuses for parenting issues, but unfortunately in some cases it is very real and very difficult to live with until therapies begin to help..not cure, but help everyone understand how to manage the condition.

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:22 pm Another made up disorder to excuse bad parenting.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My experiences are only with students. And I've seen that it's a real thing. There are some kids who have an instinctive, knee-jerk impulse to go against the flow. However, in all cases, I saw parenting choices that made the problem worse, not better.

The trick is to recognize that it is very hard for them to go with the flow, to follow rules, to behave appropriately. But it's still necessary to insist that they do and to do what you can to keep them on the path to succeeding at that. Use all the tricks...the predictable structure to the day, the traffic light cue words, the sticker chart (if it works). And it's crucial to show genuine appreciation when they succeed.

There will be some fails. There will be some unpleasant, embarrassing, exhausting events. Those cannot be avoided. Believing they can be avoided...it's a trap. They will happen from time to time no matter what. Don't let the occasional fails derail the whole train...just gotta stay on track.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

No. It's really not. And people like you only make it harder for parents who are stuck in that hell.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

It’s commonly a result of trauma and/or having parents who lack parenting skills, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a real thing. It also doesn’t mean it’s the only reason children fit the diagnosis. Some families with kids who have ODD have other children raised by the same parents in the same house who have no behavioral issues at all.

Psychiatric disorders are ways to explain patterns of behaviors and feelings that you see occurring similarly throughout the population. Obviously there’s something there if a significant portion of the population are independently presenting with the same symptoms. The medical community goes “hey, all of these people have these similar symptoms, let’s give it a name so we can classify it so we can attempt to quantify subjective information in order to study it and identify who is at risk and find treatments.” All psychiatric disorders are “made up.” There isn’t a single psychiatric disorder that doesn’t have some aspect of social/“nurture” causes.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Nope. But I suspect the child with ODD has lots of other things going on that is causing the angry outbursts. I saw a video on youtube about a little girl who had literally been kicked out of all the schools in the area due to her behavior and explosive temper. Finally, the parents were able to get a team of doctors to evaluate her and it was determined that she was on the spectrum and suffered from anxiety and the anxiety was manifesting in anger. It was explosive anger that would turn destructive. She couldn't be reasoned with. It was hard for her to calm down. But once she got the diagnosis she was placed in a school that specialized in special needs kids and there were animals like horses, goats, etc. that the kids got to spend time with since they noticed that being with animals really grounded her and calmed her down.

Then there are other issues that may cause it like Reactive Attachment from neglect or abuse or a traumatic experience when they were really young.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

When my teen was younger, I was pointed in the direction of ODD by Dr. Cafemom. I looked into it and took my findings to his doctor. She told me that ODD and ADD present similarly but have vastly different treatments. So I got a referral to a psychiatrist. After an entire summer of questionnaires and tests he was diagnosed with ADHD and Asperger's, now Autism spectrum.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Just because you had lazy shitty parents doesnt mean every parent is like that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic