ODD - Oppositional defiant disorder

madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:52 pm My experiences are only with students. And I've seen that it's a real thing. There are some kids who have an instinctive, knee-jerk impulse to go against the flow. However, in all cases, I saw parenting choices that made the problem worse, not better.

The trick is to recognize that it is very hard for them to go with the flow, to follow rules, to behave appropriately. But it's still necessary to insist that they do and to do what you can to keep them on the path to succeeding at that. Use all the tricks...the predictable structure to the day, the traffic light cue words, the sticker chart (if it works). And it's crucial to show genuine appreciation when they succeed.

There will be some fails. There will be some unpleasant, embarrassing, exhausting events. Those cannot be avoided. Believing they can be avoided...it's a trap. They will happen from time to time no matter what. Don't let the occasional fails derail the whole train...just gotta stay on track.
My niece has this. My sister was very abusive towards her. Since she has beeliving with her father, though, she has been doing extraordinarily well.
i want candy!
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Make sure it's ODD. Some forms of anxiety can present as ODD as can some forms of ADD/ADHD. No experience with ODD, but for anxiety: Celexa worked great on my youngest. For ADD/ADHD, I currently take Strattera and it's a godsend. FYI: if it is anxiety, a stimulant med can make it worse. Good luck.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:21 pm Does anyone have experience with this? Medications? Therapies?
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

How is the ADHD being treated?

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:56 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:00 am The problem with diagnosing ODD is that the diagnosis uses the subjective diagnostic model DSM-5 for a pattern of behaviour over a previous six month period. I am of the impression that when some people jump right on and say that ODD is an excuse for bad parenting, don't know anything about ODD or have not bothered to research it. But those people are not always entirely wrong.

ODD exists, but it is rare and usually present in young children when it is discovered. Again, the problem with diagnosing ODD is that if your child is having a difficult period like the Terrible Two's, many days that child may totally qualify as having ODD based on the DSM-5 criteria, when really they are just being two. A couple of years ago I posted a reply on the old Cafe Mom site that in Canada, they estimated that the DSM-5 diagnostic tool was responsible for about 16 percent of wrong diagnosis where medication was prescribed for that misdiagnosis.
The child is in the teens, has ADHD and is on the spectrum. The anger could be anxiety related. According to the DSM-5, it would be a mild form of ODD as per the criteria, the anger is exhibited only at home. There are other children in the home who are "normal" so I really don't think it's due to "bad parenting". I'm leaning towards anxiety as they tend to take out their frustrations at home because that's where they're comfortable to do so. The PCM has been treating the ADHD and believes ODD is there. I was just wanting to know if anyone here had experience with it before we head back down the psychiatric path. The child is in therapy, but with a psychologist.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

hotspice58 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:26 pm How is the ADHD being treated?

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:56 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:00 am The problem with diagnosing ODD is that the diagnosis uses the subjective diagnostic model DSM-5 for a pattern of behaviour over a previous six month period. I am of the impression that when some people jump right on and say that ODD is an excuse for bad parenting, don't know anything about ODD or have not bothered to research it. But those people are not always entirely wrong.

ODD exists, but it is rare and usually present in young children when it is discovered. Again, the problem with diagnosing ODD is that if your child is having a difficult period like the Terrible Two's, many days that child may totally qualify as having ODD based on the DSM-5 criteria, when really they are just being two. A couple of years ago I posted a reply on the old Cafe Mom site that in Canada, they estimated that the DSM-5 diagnostic tool was responsible for about 16 percent of wrong diagnosis where medication was prescribed for that misdiagnosis.
The child is in the teens, has ADHD and is on the spectrum. The anger could be anxiety related. According to the DSM-5, it would be a mild form of ODD as per the criteria, the anger is exhibited only at home. There are other children in the home who are "normal" so I really don't think it's due to "bad parenting". I'm leaning towards anxiety as they tend to take out their frustrations at home because that's where they're comfortable to do so. The PCM has been treating the ADHD and believes ODD is there. I was just wanting to know if anyone here had experience with it before we head back down the psychiatric path. The child is in therapy, but with a psychologist.
18mg of Concerta. They were on Focalin but that brought out depression and rage. Once switched, they were able to focus and has been good for a few years. However this has been a bad year for depression so now there is Lexapro and therapy with a psychologist. The PCM was thinking ODD and while I can see how some of it fits, I think it's more ADHD / depression and anxiety. They're testing at school this week (state tests) and it's been high stress on top of everything else.
Locked Previous topicNext topic