ODD - Oppositional defiant disorder

Anonymous 5

Unread post

My son was diagnosed with it as a child. It was changed as he has gotten older. It is usually a diagnosed given when they are unsure of what they a actually have. My son was later diagnosed with dmdd.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:32 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:22 pm Another made up disorder to excuse bad parenting.
It’s commonly a result of trauma and/or having parents who lack parenting skills, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a real thing. It also doesn’t mean it’s the only reason children fit the diagnosis. Some families with kids who have ODD have other children raised by the same parents in the same house who have no behavioral issues at all.

Psychiatric disorders are ways to explain patterns of behaviors and feelings that you see occurring similarly throughout the population. Obviously there’s something there if a significant portion of the population are independently presenting with the same symptoms. The medical community goes “hey, all of these people have these similar symptoms, let’s give it a name so we can classify it so we can attempt to quantify subjective information in order to study it and identify who is at risk and find treatments.” All psychiatric disorders are “made up.” There isn’t a single psychiatric disorder that doesn’t have some aspect of social/“nurture” causes.
So based on what I'm reading here, it's what was always termed rebellious then?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:22 pm Another made up disorder to excuse bad parenting.
It's a real disorder, but like many disorders these days, its way over diagnosed to the wrong kids imo. I was diagnosed as a kid also, because my school felt it was necessary. I got into a lot of trouble in school and to them it was because I was a defiant child. Actually, I was a child with ADHD and a non herd mentality. I marched to my own drum and didn't like being lumped in with everyone else just because. I had no problem behaving and doing what I was told so long as you had my attention and you made sense. I had the ability to respect authority but only when the authority figure made sense and didn't have me questioning their motives. I wasn't neurotypical and a lot of my teachers didn't like that. The funny thing is, even though I gave half my teachers a hard time, the other half had no idea what they were talking about because they never had one problem out of me aside from the typical ADHD issues.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The problem with diagnosing ODD is that the diagnosis uses the subjective diagnostic model DSM-5 for a pattern of behaviour over a previous six month period. I am of the impression that when some people jump right on and say that ODD is an excuse for bad parenting, don't know anything about ODD or have not bothered to research it. But those people are not always entirely wrong.

ODD exists, but it is rare and usually present in young children when it is discovered. Again, the problem with diagnosing ODD is that if your child is having a difficult period like the Terrible Two's, many days that child may totally qualify as having ODD based on the DSM-5 criteria, when really they are just being two. A couple of years ago I posted a reply on the old Cafe Mom site that in Canada, they estimated that the DSM-5 diagnostic tool was responsible for about 16 percent of wrong diagnosis where medication was prescribed for that misdiagnosis.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:00 am The problem with diagnosing ODD is that the diagnosis uses the subjective diagnostic model DSM-5 for a pattern of behaviour over a previous six month period. I am of the impression that when some people jump right on and say that ODD is an excuse for bad parenting, don't know anything about ODD or have not bothered to research it. But those people are not always entirely wrong.

ODD exists, but it is rare and usually present in young children when it is discovered. Again, the problem with diagnosing ODD is that if your child is having a difficult period like the Terrible Two's, many days that child may totally qualify as having ODD based on the DSM-5 criteria, when really they are just being two. A couple of years ago I posted a reply on the old Cafe Mom site that in Canada, they estimated that the DSM-5 diagnostic tool was responsible for about 16 percent of wrong diagnosis where medication was prescribed for that misdiagnosis.
The child is in the teens, has ADHD and is on the spectrum. The anger could be anxiety related. According to the DSM-5, it would be a mild form of ODD as per the criteria, the anger is exhibited only at home. There are other children in the home who are "normal" so I really don't think it's due to "bad parenting". I'm leaning towards anxiety as they tend to take out their frustrations at home because that's where they're comfortable to do so. The PCM has been treating the ADHD and believes ODD is there. I was just wanting to know if anyone here had experience with it before we head back down the psychiatric path. The child is in therapy, but with a psychologist.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Usually it's diagnosed along with another disorder of some type such as ADHD. My son had ODD along with Anxiety. ODD develops as a coping mechanism for the individual when the other disorder is not being properly treated. My son developed the ODD because we weren't aware of his anxiety and therefore weren't treating it and so he developed ODD behaviors.

Once we addressed and treated the Anxiety, his ODD behaviors disappeared on their own. He still has slight hints of it here or there, but for the most part ODD is no longer an issue because he knows how to handle his anxiety through years of therapies.

So if you treat the other issue(s), then the ODD will take care of itself. In the rare case where ODD is present alone, then I would say therapy is the best bet.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:55 pm Nope. But I suspect the child with ODD has lots of other things going on that is causing the angry outbursts. I saw a video on youtube about a little girl who had literally been kicked out of all the schools in the area due to her behavior and explosive temper. Finally, the parents were able to get a team of doctors to evaluate her and it was determined that she was on the spectrum and suffered from anxiety and the anxiety was manifesting in anger. It was explosive anger that would turn destructive. She couldn't be reasoned with. It was hard for her to calm down. But once she got the diagnosis she was placed in a school that specialized in special needs kids and there were animals like horses, goats, etc. that the kids got to spend time with since they noticed that being with animals really grounded her and calmed her down.

Then there are other issues that may cause it like Reactive Attachment from neglect or abuse or a traumatic experience when they were really young.
That sounds very much how my son was, but the girl sounds more extreme. Plus my son is not on the spectrum, but the anxiety part is exactly how he was. His anxiety would manifest as anger and he would have outbursts. The worst one had him in the hallway at school pounding his fists on the lockers while screaming and yelling. He never harmed another human being during his outbursts, but he sure scared the hell out of them when they didn't understand what the f**k was going on with him. The solution for him was a place that specialized in childhood behavioral issues and lots of therapy. Now if he feels and outburst coming on, or feels his anxiety rising, he knows what to do to go calm it down again and as long as he's allowed those few minutes to step away and deal with it in his way then he's just fine. It's been years since he's had a true outburst.

All too often it's not that they are "bad kids" but really that the kid is just misunderstood.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:56 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:00 am The problem with diagnosing ODD is that the diagnosis uses the subjective diagnostic model DSM-5 for a pattern of behaviour over a previous six month period. I am of the impression that when some people jump right on and say that ODD is an excuse for bad parenting, don't know anything about ODD or have not bothered to research it. But those people are not always entirely wrong.

The child is in the teens, has ADHD and is on the spectrum. The anger could be anxiety related. According to the DSM-5, it would be a mild form of ODD as per the criteria, the anger is exhibited only at home. There are other children in the home who are "normal" so I really don't think it's due to "bad parenting". I'm leaning towards anxiety as they tend to take out their frustrations at home because that's where they're comfortable to do so. The PCM has been treating the ADHD and believes ODD is there. I was just wanting to know if anyone here had experience with it before we head back down the psychiatric path. The child is in therapy, but with a psychologist.
Good reply. I hope you are able to find another mom in here that can help you are at least that you can have relate to you with this.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 am
SolidlyAverage wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:32 pm
It’s commonly a result of trauma and/or having parents who lack parenting skills, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a real thing. It also doesn’t mean it’s the only reason children fit the diagnosis. Some families with kids who have ODD have other children raised by the same parents in the same house who have no behavioral issues at all.

Psychiatric disorders are ways to explain patterns of behaviors and feelings that you see occurring similarly throughout the population. Obviously there’s something there if a significant portion of the population are independently presenting with the same symptoms. The medical community goes “hey, all of these people have these similar symptoms, let’s give it a name so we can classify it so we can attempt to quantify subjective information in order to study it and identify who is at risk and find treatments.” All psychiatric disorders are “made up.” There isn’t a single psychiatric disorder that doesn’t have some aspect of social/“nurture” causes.
So based on what I'm reading here, it's what was always termed rebellious then?
No. There was no “always termed” about it. That’s one of many different adjectives that was used, but it would also have been used to describe either normal behavior or many other diagnoses like ADHD, bipolar disorder, PTSD, reactive attachment disorder, anxiety, etc.
Locked Previous topicNext topic