Donnie
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:13 pm
Donnie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:57 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:51 pm The exam is four parts, the recommended study time for each part is 80-100 hours. I would probably spend 8-10 weeks studying for each section, so that would be one test a quarter. The pass/fail rate right now for this exam is 50%, so there are good odds that I won't pass on the first try. I would hope to be done in a year after passing my first section.
You lumped passing the test AND getting a new job together as a reason not to get pregnant in the fall.

What if you studied and took the tests but didn’t worry about a new job right now? Does that make it reasonable for you to continue with the pregnancy plans?

Or, what if you forget about the test, for now, and focus on finding a job that you don’t hate? How does that change things?
I would struggle studying while pregnant and/or with a newborn. I know my studying habits especially when I'm not 100% sure that I want it- to be a CPA. You have to live and breathe it. I've seen friends who wanted it fail. It's hard.
I would have to go back to it once the baby was older/sleeping through the night. And my husband would have to step up in a big way.
I am keeping an eye on the market, most jobs are looking for a CPA or someone with parts passed. The only good thing about my current job is that there is no pressure to pass. Some jobs make it difficult for you if you aren't studying or passing. I will keep looking.
This might be too far out there, but I don’t know of anyway to help other than to give you food for thought:

Have you considered the possibility that you are in the wrong job field?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would study for the exam & postpone having a child.

Although I am a quite career driven, some of the motivation behind every degree I get, is for my family. I think a CPA is better for you and your family. I would not get pregnant or have another baby until you have completed it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Donnie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 pm
Donnie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:57 pm

You lumped passing the test AND getting a new job together as a reason not to get pregnant in the fall.

What if you studied and took the tests but didn’t worry about a new job right now? Does that make it reasonable for you to continue with the pregnancy plans?

Or, what if you forget about the test, for now, and focus on finding a job that you don’t hate? How does that change things?
I would struggle studying while pregnant and/or with a newborn. I know my studying habits especially when I'm not 100% sure that I want it- to be a CPA. You have to live and breathe it. I've seen friends who wanted it fail. It's hard.
I would have to go back to it once the baby was older/sleeping through the night. And my husband would have to step up in a big way.
I am keeping an eye on the market, most jobs are looking for a CPA or someone with parts passed. The only good thing about my current job is that there is no pressure to pass. Some jobs make it difficult for you if you aren't studying or passing. I will keep looking.
This might be too far out there, but I don’t know of anyway to help other than to give you food for thought:

I've considered it. I enjoyed accounting in college, but not many options without a license. My indecision on taking the exam is the deciding factor. I feel that I owe it to myself to really give it a shot. If I fail after two/three tries, I could give up and know I tried my best, it's not for me. Or I might just pass and I'd have more options than I would know what to do with.
If I only had a career, what I said above would be my decision. I have a family to think about. We need for for me to work, but how difficult would a receptionist/administrative assistant job be? No added pressure, I could have time for DH, DD, and a future child.
I feel like I'm running out of time to decide.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:48 pm Hmm. You've got a lot to think about.

I got my degree in Accounting and about a year after graduating I tried for my CPA. I failed and decided it wasn't for me. But where I lived at the time there was no issue finding good accounting jobs without a CPA. All I needed was the degree, so there was no real motivation for the CPA for me. 20 years later and I still have no need for my CPA for what I want to do.
But just because it wasn't a big deal for me doesn't mean it wouldn't be for you. You need to decide you.
I’m going to be somewhat bitchy to you because you responded to one of my posts the other day in a very bitchy way. Directly out of college I passed every part of the CPA exam. It just wasn’t that hard.

Right out of law school I also not only passed the bar exam on my first try, but I also had an almost perfect score on the MBE (required in most states). Just because you couldn’t do it doesn’t mean she can’t.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Have you thought all about something a little less demanding than a CPA? Like a CIA or even a CFE? The CFE was easy and looks good on a resume. It's not as in demand as a CPA, but if you aren't totally set on public accounting, one of the other exams could open some doors too.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:07 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:48 pm Hmm. You've got a lot to think about.

I got my degree in Accounting and about a year after graduating I tried for my CPA. I failed and decided it wasn't for me. But where I lived at the time there was no issue finding good accounting jobs without a CPA. All I needed was the degree, so there was no real motivation for the CPA for me. 20 years later and I still have no need for my CPA for what I want to do.
But just because it wasn't a big deal for me doesn't mean it wouldn't be for you. You need to decide you.

I would not be at my current job if it wasn't for the two days at home with DD. Even now with the additional clients, I make it work by working while she naps or after she's in bed for the night. I'm mostly frustrated because my firm takes on any client and I'm left with their books from their previous accountant that won't tie to the prior year return and things that should take x amount of time takes twice as long. I'm constantly brought in to the partner to discuss my time. My dept isn't invited to the training sessions the firm holds and because of that I had multiple errors on the 1040's I worked on regarding Section 199A. This will affect my review. feel like everything I do is wrong and it's a common feeling throughout my department.
The CPA exam is a huge undertaking.When I graduated I hadn't planned on taking it. I have 150 credits because of an associate's degree I earned prior to changing my major to accounting. So I am eligible. I wouldn't be able to study effectively pregnant or with a newborn.
Why would you tell yourself you’re not going to pass a test related to something you spent years studying?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

caustib wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:28 pm Have you thought all about something a little less demanding than a CPA? Like a CIA or even a CFE? The CFE was easy and looks good on a resume. It's not as in demand as a CPA, but if you aren't totally set on public accounting, one of the other exams could open some doors too.
I'll be honest, I hadn't considered it. I've only worked in public accounting but I feel that I'm ready for a change. I'll do some research on the CFE. Maybe that's a good compromise for now.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:30 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:07 pm

I would not be at my current job if it wasn't for the two days at home with DD. Even now with the additional clients, I make it work by working while she naps or after she's in bed for the night. I'm mostly frustrated because my firm takes on any client and I'm left with their books from their previous accountant that won't tie to the prior year return and things that should take x amount of time takes twice as long. I'm constantly brought in to the partner to discuss my time. My dept isn't invited to the training sessions the firm holds and because of that I had multiple errors on the 1040's I worked on regarding Section 199A. This will affect my review. feel like everything I do is wrong and it's a common feeling throughout my department.
The CPA exam is a huge undertaking.When I graduated I hadn't planned on taking it. I have 150 credits because of an associate's degree I earned prior to changing my major to accounting. So I am eligible. I wouldn't be able to study effectively pregnant or with a newborn.
Why would you tell yourself you’re not going to pass a test related to something you spent years studying?
The short answer is that I'm about 5 years out of school and I don't know if I want it bad enough to devote the next 12+ months to it. I don't know if I'm just burnt out, but deep down I feel that I should get myself together and just study.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:23 pm
Donnie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 pm

I've considered it. I enjoyed accounting in college, but not many options without a license. My indecision on taking the exam is the deciding factor. I feel that I owe it to myself to really give it a shot. If I fail after two/three tries, I could give up and know I tried my best, it's not for me. Or I might just pass and I'd have more options than I would know what to do with.
If I only had a career, what I said above would be my decision. I have a family to think about. We need for for me to work, but how difficult would a receptionist/administrative assistant job be? No added pressure, I could have time for DH, DD, and a future child.
I feel like I'm running out of time to decide.
I know the role can vary significantly, but in my experince, the more qualifications &.certifications you have, will you more marketable which means you gain far more negotiating power with a flexible schedule for family. Many (not all) receptionists and admin assistants work hourly, have less flexibility, and are clocking in & out with lots of responsibilities but no power. I think it is myth that it is a low stress job.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:27 pm

I’m going to be somewhat bitchy to you because you responded to one of my posts the other day in a very bitchy way. Directly out of college I passed every part of the CPA exam. It just wasn’t that hard.

Right out of law school I also not only passed the bar exam on my first try, but I also had an almost perfect score on the MBE (required in most states). Just because you couldn’t do it doesn’t mean she can’t.
I wasn't suggesting she can't. I wasn't suggesting anything to her at all. She has a very complex decision in front of her. I can't make that for her. All I can do is give her my own relevant experience and let her take from it what she wants - and that's all I did.

As for the bitchy response, I'm sorry, I never intend to be directly bitchy on here. Straightforward, yes, but bitchy, no. But without knowing what you are referring to I can't say anything further on it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic