Career/Life indecision

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I work part-time for a small accounting firm and I handle their bookkeeping/back office for small businesses. There is talk of outsourcing my department in 5-10 year time frame which is a concern, but not an immediate one. My real problem is that I don't like my job at all. My department is short staffed, so they are giving me more clients, and I've been working from home on my days off to stay afloat. I have really bad days at work where I say I can't do this anymore and I make plans to studying for the CPA. Then I get a good review from my boss and I say I have job security, why bother studying? At this point, no one has started and stopped studying without taking one part of the exam more than me.
My husband would prefer that I not take the exam now, because we agreed to start trying for our second child once DD starts kindergarten in the fall. The exam and my finding a new job would derail these plans for a few years. I am about to turn 30 (which is not old) but I had a high risk pregnancy with DD (gestational diabetes and preeclampsia along with preterm labor). Because of this I want to be done having kids by 35.
Not to have this post be too long, but I am keeping up with the job market in my area and there are not many options for non-CPA's. As outsourcing becomes more common, opportunities will grow even less. I know that no one can make this decision but me, but I wanted some opinions. Would you jump ahead with your career (studying for the CPA and finding a better position at another firm)? DD will start full day kindergarten in the fall which will give me more time to devote to studying and working full-time.
Or would you have a baby now and get back to studying at a later date? Or maybe not take the exam at all?
Donnie
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

If you started studying today, when would you be able to take the test?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Hmm. You've got a lot to think about.

I got my degree in Accounting and about a year after graduating I tried for my CPA. I failed and decided it wasn't for me. But where I lived at the time there was no issue finding good accounting jobs without a CPA. All I needed was the degree, so there was no real motivation for the CPA for me. 20 years later and I still have no need for my CPA for what I want to do.
But just because it wasn't a big deal for me doesn't mean it wouldn't be for you. You need to decide you.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

The exam is four parts, the recommended study time for each part is 80-100 hours. I would probably spend 8-10 weeks studying for each section, so that would be one test a quarter. The pass/fail rate right now for this exam is 50%, so there are good odds that I won't pass on the first try. I would hope to be done in a year after passing my first section.
Donnie
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:51 pm The exam is four parts, the recommended study time for each part is 80-100 hours. I would probably spend 8-10 weeks studying for each section, so that would be one test a quarter. The pass/fail rate right now for this exam is 50%, so there are good odds that I won't pass on the first try. I would hope to be done in a year after passing my first section.
You lumped passing the test AND getting a new job together as a reason not to get pregnant in the fall.

What if you studied and took the tests but didn’t worry about a new job right now? Does that make it reasonable for you to continue with the pregnancy plans?

Or, what if you forget about the test, for now, and focus on finding a job that you don’t hate? How does that change things?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:48 pm Hmm. You've got a lot to think about.

I got my degree in Accounting and about a year after graduating I tried for my CPA. I failed and decided it wasn't for me. But where I lived at the time there was no issue finding good accounting jobs without a CPA. All I needed was the degree, so there was no real motivation for the CPA for me. 20 years later and I still have no need for my CPA for what I want to do.
But just because it wasn't a big deal for me doesn't mean it wouldn't be for you. You need to decide you.

I would not be at my current job if it wasn't for the two days at home with DD. Even now with the additional clients, I make it work by working while she naps or after she's in bed for the night. I'm mostly frustrated because my firm takes on any client and I'm left with their books from their previous accountant that won't tie to the prior year return and things that should take x amount of time takes twice as long. I'm constantly brought in to the partner to discuss my time. My dept isn't invited to the training sessions the firm holds and because of that I had multiple errors on the 1040's I worked on regarding Section 199A. This will affect my review. feel like everything I do is wrong and it's a common feeling throughout my department.
The CPA exam is a huge undertaking.When I graduated I hadn't planned on taking it. I have 150 credits because of an associate's degree I earned prior to changing my major to accounting. So I am eligible. I wouldn't be able to study effectively pregnant or with a newborn.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Donnie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:57 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:51 pm The exam is four parts, the recommended study time for each part is 80-100 hours. I would probably spend 8-10 weeks studying for each section, so that would be one test a quarter. The pass/fail rate right now for this exam is 50%, so there are good odds that I won't pass on the first try. I would hope to be done in a year after passing my first section.
You lumped passing the test AND getting a new job together as a reason not to get pregnant in the fall.

What if you studied and took the tests but didn’t worry about a new job right now? Does that make it reasonable for you to continue with the pregnancy plans?

Or, what if you forget about the test, for now, and focus on finding a job that you don’t hate? How does that change things?
I would struggle studying while pregnant and/or with a newborn. I know my studying habits especially when I'm not 100% sure that I want it- to be a CPA. You have to live and breathe it. I've seen friends who wanted it fail. It's hard.
I would have to go back to it once the baby was older/sleeping through the night. And my husband would have to step up in a big way.
I am keeping an eye on the market, most jobs are looking for a CPA or someone with parts passed. The only good thing about my current job is that there is no pressure to pass. Some jobs make it difficult for you if you aren't studying or passing. I will keep looking.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I wouldn't be having a 2nd child if you had all those problems with your first pregnancy. Work towards getting your CPA now, it will be a lot harder with 2 kids and the older you get.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would do the course and take the test. Once you have the CPA, you can stay in your job or look for another, depending on how well that fits with your child care situation. But it will be much harder to study with a new baby...
Anonymous 1

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:20 pm I wouldn't be having a 2nd child if you had all those problems with your first pregnancy. Work towards getting your CPA now, it will be a lot harder with 2 kids and the older you get.
I hear you on that one. I feel we were very lucky, it was a good hospital/good doctors, it could have went the other way. It was a scary time and it took me 4 years to be on board with trying this again.
I agree, the exam will be more difficult the longer I wait and with another child.
Locked Previous topicNext topic