school dress code... for parents

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, a school shouldn't have to make a code like this because parents should have common sense. If I know I'm just driving up and dropping off, I might be in fuzzy pants and a tee with no bra. But if I know I have to go inside for something (ie. to talk briefly to a teacher), I'll at least throw on jeans and a bra and a nice tee and brush my hair and throw it back in a pony tail. And if I'm having a specifically scheduled meeting, I'll dress as if I'm going into the office at work.

If people used common sense like that then there would be no reason to initiate a dress code for parents. My guess is that parents at this particular school are sorely lacking in common sense and need to be schooled just as badly as their kids need to be.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:36 pm I think it is a stupid policy. I have a friend who is a personal trainer and goes to peoples homes to train them. Her work attire is leggings, with a t-shirt, and her hair in a pony tail. If you called her and told her that she needed to pick up her son because he was sick, is she to go home and change into something else?
She could just keep a pair of jeans or a long skirt in her car to put on over the leggings. Why is it unreasonable to expect parents to dress appropriately on school grounds as well? We lead by example. What example are we as parents setting for our kids if we don't dress appropriately at a location they spend most of their day at?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

There were times when my girls were in private school that I had to run in with them to help them carry something and I was going to the gym next door so I was in my workout shorts/ shirt. I was not going to be dolled up to help them carry something in on my way next door.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would comply because it is not a hill to die on. I didn't like how it was worded. And I do think it becomes a slippery slope, in policing clothing and how adults should dress.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Im glad my kids dont go there because no one is going to tell me how to dress. I dont wear pj's to the school but I do wear leggings, tshirts and sometimes a baseball hat.
I never wear hoochie shorts/shirts or any revealing clothing.
One of the pj/hoochie clothes wearing moms are going to call the cops when the schools refuse to let her pick up her kids......this is going to be a shit show
Bubelah
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:17 pm Our schools have dress codes for parents too. It might seem ridiculous but it really serves a purpose, especially at the elementary school age. You don't want your kid to be known as "THAT kid" whose mom always comes through the pick up line in short shorts and a bikini top, or wearing mini skirts and fishnet stockings, or the kid whose dad's underwear is showing all the time. Kids are brutal and will tease and bully each other for the slightest thing which impacts their overall performance in school. Even with anti-bullying policies schools can only do so much. One way of that is to implement tools to help prevent bullying in the first place. If that means telling parents to dress like functioning F***ing adults when on school grounds then that's what they will do. Honestly I think parents should set better standards for their kids in the first place.
This. Say it louder for the people in the back.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:17 pm Our schools have dress codes for parents too. It might seem ridiculous but it really serves a purpose, especially at the elementary school age. You don't want your kid to be known as "THAT kid" whose mom always comes through the pick up line in short shorts and a bikini top, or wearing mini skirts and fishnet stockings, or the kid whose dad's underwear is showing all the time. Kids are brutal and will tease and bully each other for the slightest thing which impacts their overall performance in school. Even with anti-bullying policies schools can only do so much. One way of that is to implement tools to help prevent bullying in the first place. If that means telling parents to dress like functioning F***ing adults when on school grounds then that's what they will do. Honestly I think parents should set better standards for their kids in the first place.
Let’s be honest, “parents” that were going to pick up their children dressed as you described just aren’t going to read the dress code. All this does is prevent me from going through carline in my PJs at drop off when I’ve had the morning from hell. And that’s stupid since I don’t actually get out of the car.
Spookly
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Eh. I could see how people would get ticked about it, but it doesn't relate to me personally. I'm usually in work uniform when I pick up or drop off my boys.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

I'm on the side that says I will what I damn well please to drop off or pickup my kid.
sheramom4
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Six months from now that same principal will be complaining that the school enrollment is down and that parents aren't coming in to help in the classroom. Or that the PTA has fallen apart. Additionally, children are afforded the right to a free public education Turning children away during enrollment for how their parents are dressed violates that right.
Refusing to allow a parent to pick up a child based on how they are dressed (or any reason other than one of danger to the child) is also illegal. If this were me I would allow the denial and then immediately contact the authorities and let them know the school has refused to release my child to me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic