Am I trashy for having vending machines?

RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:33 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:32 pm Not something I would do. Instead I would speak to the parents directly and let them know if their kids are going to be over here all the time eating and drinking they should drop off snacks and drinks occasionally and just keep a big supply on hand.

But those parents should be doing that anyway. If I knew my kid was always at someone's house eating and drinking- I would slip them a $20 now and again to cover food and drinks for my kid
These are teenagers. No way am I going to speak to their parents about bringing snacks over. This way the kids pay for what they eat and that is that
then maybe just tell them either to bring their own snacks and drinks or have none. But the vending machines work too I guess. Teens is more okay to do this than say a little kid
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I mean, the appearance of vending machines IN the house is pretty trashy. Yeah. I'd maybe stick them in the garage as opposed to the basement next to the TV and couch KWIM. That said, I too am the neighborhood "Snack mom" I haven't made the kids pay for anything yet but the kids that come over are always courteous enough to ask me (or my kids) if it's okay if they grab a snack just in case I have plans for something I bought. I always keep plenty of healthy fruits and veggies on hand and not just chips, granola bars, etc. If it becomes "troublesome" I might leave a jar out labeled "Snack funds" and let kids contribute to it voluntarily but that's about it. I don't mind funding the snacks for the kids.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Idk...it's hard to fathom that many teens over at a house at one time on a regular basis. I don't foresee this as ever being a problem here.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

As a mother of 4 kids who live a block away from the school I think that's a GREAT idea! I don't buy junk but I can't count number of times I've come home and they've gone through a loaf of bread, a couple containers of juice and a bag of apples. It's not like it's incredibly expensive but when you get home from work and discover you're out of things that you now have to go back to the store to get drives me nuts. I rememeber the one night I was in a hurry and went to make Kraft dinner because I literally had 15 minutes to make food for 4 kids and went to the cupboard to get a couple boxes only to find the entire 12 pack I'd bought a week before gone. The kids had been coming to our house for lunch and making Kraft dinner - 3 boxes at a time. That was the last time she was allowed to have friends over at lunch. Sure it's only 3 bucks in KD but it's the frustration of having to go get MORE everytime they eat it all.

If they rotated houses I wouldn't have a problem with it but it's always our house. It sounds like you're in the same situation. I don't see a problem with charging the kids a little bit to offset the cost and stop them from eating just to eat.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I have 3 teenagers, they each have at least 2 friends over after school, every day.

I would never put in a venting machine. I put out whatever I am offering that day, usually bottled water, or hot cocoa if it's cold, and fruit, veggies, pretzels etc. when it's gone it's gone. I can't image forcing someone to pay to have a snack or drink at my house.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:15 pm I have 3 teenagers, they each have at least 2 friends over after school, every day.

I would never put in a venting machine. I put out whatever I am offering that day, usually bottled water, or hot cocoa if it's cold, and fruit, veggies, pretzels etc. when it's gone it's gone. I can't image forcing someone to pay to have a snack or drink at my house.
6 extra kids is much different than 20+ extra kids
I am not forcing anyone to do anything.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:27 pm
SolidlyAverage wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:24 pm Yes. If money is that tight, just don’t buy snacks everyone. Or don’t host.

It’s the same as someone charging friends and family per plate at events. If you can’t afford it, just don’t do it. Don’t charge guests money for food in your home
These are not people I have invited over for an event. Just random kids at my house usually for a little after school.
They are your children’s guests, which makes them your guests as well. If you don’t want someone in your house, tell them no at the door. Your lack of a backbone in saying no is not an excuse for treating them like customers instead of guests.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’d just say no guest, or they can bring their own food.

I mean on one hand I think whatever, but on the other hand I do find it tacky.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:31 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:27 pm
SolidlyAverage wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:24 pm Yes. If money is that tight, just don’t buy snacks everyone. Or don’t host.

It’s the same as someone charging friends and family per plate at events. If you can’t afford it, just don’t do it. Don’t charge guests money for food in your home
These are not people I have invited over for an event. Just random kids at my house usually for a little after school.
They are your children’s guests, which makes them your guests as well. If you don’t want someone in your house, tell them no at the door. Your lack of a backbone in saying no is not an excuse for treating them like customers instead of guests.
I am okay with the vending machines. Everyone but this one parent is happy with it. I can say no but I just dont see the need when I solved my problem
Anonymous 4

Unread post

My opinion depends on how much profit you are making.
Locked Previous topicNext topic