I am probably going to get fired from my job because they cancelled school in the middle of the night

PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This will probably offer small comfort to you but if they're going to fire you because you have small children and can't come in because the school was closed due to a safety threat you probably don't want to work for them. It isn't like this is " my kid has the sniffles and I can't be bothered to find someone to watch her".
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Maybe not. See how the meeting goes. Good luck!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:01 pm
Pjmm wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:46 am How old are the kids? It's not the best situation but mine could be left at home alone from eight on up. I would go home at lunch to make sure he was all right. This was if he was sick. And usually if school was cancelled the after school programs he was in would take up the slack for me. In dire straits I had a retired friend I could ask but fortunately I never had to.
WOW, no way would I leave an 8 or even 10yr old 8+ hrs alone.
I didn't. I would run home at intervals to check on him and normally I could leave work early. My parents left me home alone that long back in the day if I was sick. They had very few options in the seventies in a small town. Is it a great solution? No. But I wouldn't fault her for doing it.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If it's a newsworthy event that has all schools closed, chances are your boss is aware of it and hopefully understanding. I mean, a last minute school closure, there's not much you can do about that. If your boss is not understanding about that then she's not worth working for. It's never worth working for a cold-hearted bitch.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would go with in with an apology, explanation, about you plans A, B, C falling through, THEN a plan D such as:
Care.com sitter with a nanny cam? In our area, we have sitters that for high rates work last minute issues like this. Or is there a community center that takes them on closed school days? Research it and it may help to plead your case.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

You could try calling the daycare centers near you and see if they have 'drop-in' policies. We did that when we had to go to a funeral. We took our daughter to a KinderCare and they took care of her while we were at the funeral for a nominal fee.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:20 pm This will probably offer small comfort to you but if they're going to fire you because you have small children and can't come in because the school was closed due to a safety threat you probably don't want to work for them. It isn't like this is " my kid has the sniffles and I can't be bothered to find someone to watch her".
It is a good company but they made it clear that they didn't want anyone missing during the probation period. That is typical at tons of places
Anonymous 1

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 pm You could try calling the daycare centers near you and see if they have 'drop-in' policies. We did that when we had to go to a funeral. We took our daughter to a KinderCare and they took care of her while we were at the funeral for a nominal fee.
Everything was full.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Well, I guess that lady is no longer a concern.... Sheesh.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

So what ended up happing with your job?
Locked Previous topicNext topic