Wish me luck-I will need it. Have to go to PTA meeting at the yuppie school

highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Nachobizness wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 am Mandatory volunteer hours? What happens if you don't do it? How old is your kid? That's wild this is even a thing.
That is what I was thinking. I work, DH works. We run around after school to get our children to other activities. What happens if you do not have time? Are they going to kick your child out of the school?
RedBottoms

Unread post

Sassy762 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 am Good Luck
I would talk to her about the weather the entire time and call her my bff, lol Also smile and wink at her, every chance you get.
I would have so much fun with her ......
LMAOOOOOOOO
bwahaha I kinda love this.
Nachobizness
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

The shit you have to do for your kids lol I hate having to attend those things with stuck up moms who try to one up everyone and are fake af. Good luck 😂
RedBottoms wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:31 am
Nachobizness wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 am Mandatory volunteer hours? What happens if you don't do it? How old is your kid? That's wild this is even a thing.
I know right?! Its a "magnet" school and so your choose to send your kid there and part of that is they require 18 mandatory volunteer hours for every kid you have there. Don't do them-get kicked out.

They are not too hard to get them all. I finished this year's back in september. I am going to try to get all mine done early again this year thus why I want to start right away.

He is 11
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I can understand why the moms are a bit full of themselves. They're volunteering their time while others are staying home watching Lindsay Lohan. I mean I'm working and that's my excuse lol. I do volunteer but not at the school. I've never done a thing with the PTA. Scouting yes, that's more convenient for me. Just go in, do your job, move on. Most of my friends don't have kids for some reason. It's either my age or my attitude. I'm not sure.
thunderkiss65
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Good luck!
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

One of my friends from the co-op has to have volunteer hours at the school her kids attend on Tuesdays. It is a hybrid school for homeschoolers. She has 3 kids that take numerous classes and she has to have so many hours per kid per class they attend. In order to get around it, as she has a hard time getting all of the required hours in she is going to start teaching there in the fall. She told me that she loves volunteering there, but the amount of hours is hard since it is only one day a week.

Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

When I want hours I just volunteer at the food basket. Usually uppity snobbish people don't do that.
i want candy!
RedBottoms

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:34 am
That is what I was thinking. I work, DH works. We run around after school to get our children to other activities. What happens if you do not have time? Are they going to kick your child out of the school?
yes. At least in theory. You sign a contract when applying agreeing to do the hours and when accepting admission agreeing to do the hours. But there are 100000000 ways to do them. You can donate supplies or items up to 1/3 of the hours. Just turn in the receipt. You can come on parent work days on Saturdays. You can do something like tear tickets or usher a show in the evenings. You can do things like bake cupcakes and bring them in for a bake sale.
So they give you a lot of chances to get them that even working parents should be able to manage it
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We have a local charter school that requires mandatory volunteer hours for parents. Every family is required to put in 20 hours per school year. Their website states that any unfulfilled hours will be billed at $10.00 per hour at the end of the school year. Seems crazy to me!
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I purposely avoided sending my kid to classes at a certain place for homeschooling classes when we were HSing because they required "volunteer hours" so many hours a week. Thanks, but no thanks. One of the bonuses of HSing is avoiding that crap at PS. I'm not going to pay for classes and do that!
Locked Previous topicNext topic