Wish me luck-I will need it. Have to go to PTA meeting at the yuppie school

RedBottoms

Unread post

madfoodie wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:41 am When I want hours I just volunteer at the food basket. Usually uppity snobbish people don't do that.
My mom and I did more for my other son's school that is a Title 1 school and probably needs it more. We donated $250 to their band program. A lot of those kids can't even afford to rent the instrument they need.

But I have to do at least my 18 hours for this school
RedBottoms

Unread post

sarah824 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:49 am
Nachobizness wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 am Mandatory volunteer hours? What happens if you don't do it? How old is your kid? That's wild this is even a thing.
We have a local charter school that requires mandatory volunteer hours for parents. Every family is required to put in 20 hours per school year. Their website states that any unfulfilled hours will be billed at $10.00 per hour at the end of the school year. Seems crazy to me!
I wish we had that option. I may just pay the $200.00 and call it a day
RedBottoms

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:38 am One of my friends from the co-op has to have volunteer hours at the school her kids attend on Tuesdays. It is a hybrid school for homeschoolers. She has 3 kids that take numerous classes and she has to have so many hours per kid per class they attend. In order to get around it, as she has a hard time getting all of the required hours in she is going to start teaching there in the fall. She told me that she loves volunteering there, but the amount of hours is hard since it is only one day a week.

Nachobizness wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 am Mandatory volunteer hours? What happens if you don't do it? How old is your kid? That's wild this is even a thing.
apparently even teachers that have kids at that school have to do the hours. It has to be something outside their normal job hours. So like they don't get credit for grading papers. It would have to be something like baking cupcakes for the bake sale. Not part of their job duties basically
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I volunteered in the library. I spent my time shelving books. I didn't have to talk to anybody except the librarian.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:53 am
sarah824 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:49 am
We have a local charter school that requires mandatory volunteer hours for parents. Every family is required to put in 20 hours per school year. Their website states that any unfulfilled hours will be billed at $10.00 per hour at the end of the school year. Seems crazy to me!
I wish we had that option. I may just pay the $200.00 and call it a day
I can see how that would be a bonus for some families for sure. I just don't agree with the "forced" volunteering thing... One of the main reasons I didn't consider the charter school when we were deciding where to send our kids. I spent WAY more than 20 hours a school year at the school, but I didn't want to be told I had to.
Anonymous2.0
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:26 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:25 am Sounds like you'll fit right in.
you would think, but I don't usually. Not with the uppity snobby types. I fit it more with the types that stay home and watch Lindsay Lohan's beach club while their kids are in school .
I’m shocked....
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There was this uptight snobby woman that would help out in DS's class like I would when he was in elementary. She looked her nose down at everyone, like she was better than everyone else . She was always bragging about how big her house was...etc etc
One day she asked if DS could come over to her house to hang out with her son.
I drove to her house, which turned out to be a small apartment in the worst area of town. Im talking about drug dealers on the corner, drunks stumbling out of the deli and plopping down on their cardboard box/house, people hanging out on their steps drinking beer, arguing and blasting music,.....lol
Im not afraid of anyone or anything but this area made me very uncomfortable.....no way in hell was I going to let ds stay here for a few hours.
We went to the apartment and it made that show about hoarders look like childs play, smdh
I straight up told her that I was not going to let my son stay in her apartment or in this area but I could take her and her son with us to the park and to get pizza.
She let her son come with us that day for a few hours.
The next time I saw her at the school was a few weeks later, she asked me not to say anything to anyone about where she lived.......lol
I told her that I had no intention of telling anyone anything unless she turned into snobby bragging bitch mom again, lol

RedBottoms wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:34 am
Sassy762 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 am Good Luck
I would talk to her about the weather the entire time and call her my bff, lol Also smile and wink at her, every chance you get.
I would have so much fun with her ......
LMAOOOOOOOO
bwahaha I kinda love this.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I show up, with the mission, “at least I can make their days better, one look at me, and they can feel superior as the better parent.” LMAO. Glad I can help with that!! I’m just about survivingat the moment, and am at peace with that.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:49 am
highlandmum wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:34 am
That is what I was thinking. I work, DH works. We run around after school to get our children to other activities. What happens if you do not have time? Are they going to kick your child out of the school?
yes. At least in theory. You sign a contract when applying agreeing to do the hours and when accepting admission agreeing to do the hours. But there are 100000000 ways to do them. You can donate supplies or items up to 1/3 of the hours. Just turn in the receipt. You can come on parent work days on Saturdays. You can do something like tear tickets or usher a show in the evenings. You can do things like bake cupcakes and bring them in for a bake sale.
So they give you a lot of chances to get them that even working parents should be able to manage it
There would be no way I would even look at this school then. I work till 5pm, then I need to get home, make dinner, get DD to dance (4 days a week), get DS to hockey or Lacrosse (5 to 6 days a week), plus workout, deal with my own stuff, take the dog for a run. I am lucky if I get 5 minutes to myself, no way someone is going to tell me I have to volunteer. Saturdays and Sundays are usually hockey games that can be three hours away, so volunteering is not happening.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's not just yuppy schools. I know a couple of mom who didn't want to join because the PTA is cliquish... Who knew?!?!
RedBottoms wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:21 am I am about to go to a PTA meeting at my son's kinda snobby magnet school. I know the moms there are kinda full of themselves.

I need to get some mandatory volunteer hours and so I have to attend this meeting to sign up for something for Teacher Appreciation Week. Any hours we do in May applies to next year's 18 hours.

So I was going to get a head start on that.

But really not looking forward to PTA moms.
I know one of the moms there HATES me. She is one of the snobby dance moms I deal with regularly. She is at that school so much they have told her to "go home" before so other parents can get in their hours. lol
Locked Previous topicNext topic