If you have a kid with ODD

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Can you tell me who diagnosed them, how they were diagnosed, what the treatment is, and if it helps? Also what were they doing that led to a diagnosis?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

You're aware that medical professionals call ODD the "Shitty parent' disease, right? In very few cases ODD is due to a "co-existing" such as Autism or bi-polar disorder but once those conditions are addressed the ODD is not an issue. A diagnosis of ODD with say ADHD means the problem is you and not your kid. Treatment tends to be therapy for the kid and parenting classes for you.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I have a son with autism and he shows the occasional sign of ODD. He likes to be contrary and he is immune to peer pressure.Which is not even always a negative thing. Being immune to peer pressure can be good. He will never do drugs lol.

The contraryness gets old though. But you have to just parent them harder and work with it. I don't let him get away with shit.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

ODD is a controversial condition, not because it doesn't exist, but because much of the child's behaviour that is assessed under the DSM-5 criteria is present in many children as a factor of age.

Also, I think today some parents want labels to explain their child's behavior rather than deal with it in parenting.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:40 am You're aware that medical professionals call ODD the "Shitty parent' disease, right? In very few cases ODD is due to a "co-existing" such as Autism or bi-polar disorder but once those conditions are addressed the ODD is not an issue. A diagnosis of ODD with say ADHD means the problem is you and not your kid. Treatment tends to be therapy for the kid and parenting classes for you.

I went to a one day conference on ODD and was told this by the doctors there. And that they focus on training the parent because of it. When I mentioned this on the old cm, of course I was ripped to shreds.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:05 am
Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:40 am You're aware that medical professionals call ODD the "Shitty parent' disease, right? In very few cases ODD is due to a "co-existing" such as Autism or bi-polar disorder but once those conditions are addressed the ODD is not an issue. A diagnosis of ODD with say ADHD means the problem is you and not your kid. Treatment tends to be therapy for the kid and parenting classes for you.

I went to a one day conference on ODD and was told this by the doctors there. And that they focus on training the parent because of it. When I mentioned this on the old cm, of course I was ripped to shreds.
I said it on CM too, Under my name. The difference is I didn't care when people tried to rip me to shreds. It simply told me what kind of parents they were.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:43 am I have a son with autism and he shows the occasional sign of ODD. He likes to be contrary and he is immune to peer pressure.Which is not even always a negative thing. Being immune to peer pressure can be good. He will never do drugs lol.

The contraryness gets old though. But you have to just parent them harder and work with it. I don't let him get away with shit.
Peer pressure does not mean he won't do drugs.

Nevermind... Im backing out.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:09 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:05 am

I said it on CM too, Under my name. The difference is I didn't care when people tried to rip me to shreds. It simply told me what kind of parents they were.

I never used my sn on cm because I stupidly put too much personally identifying info in it. I dont use anon all the time here but I did in this post in case anything personal came up for me in it. I like my privacy just in case anyone in my real life ever finds this site. I'm not really sure what your point about not being anon is.

My sd had diagnoses of ODD and ADHD when she came to live with us. That was 10 years ago. We took her off the meds and gave her some discipline, stability, and a routine and that's what she really needed. Of course she doesn't have those diagnoses anymore. I don't think all kids with these kinds of issues have bad parents, but I think that's part of the problem for many.

It's just ironic to me that to so many people here the word of the doctor is straight from the mouth of god unless it doesn't fit the narrative they want. Then no doctor could have possibly told me those things.
RedBottoms

Unread post

jas wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:16 am
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:43 am I have a son with autism and he shows the occasional sign of ODD. He likes to be contrary and he is immune to peer pressure.Which is not even always a negative thing. Being immune to peer pressure can be good. He will never do drugs lol.

If he does-it will be his choice. Not from someone pressuring him into it.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:24 am
jas wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:16 am

If he does-it will be his choice. Not from someone pressuring him into it.
Exactly - however you stated "he will never do drugs". One does not go hand in hand with the other.
Locked Previous topicNext topic