Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:45 am
bluebunnybabe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:41 am
RedBottoms wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:36 am

well yes I agree on that that saving for retirement is the utmost importance. I asked her what her financial means were and she said they were fine so I would give at least $100 as they only graduate from high school once. $25 does not even buy a nice meal or a movie in 2019.
It doesn’t matter what her financial means are. A gift is a gift. We will likely do $50 for high school, and $100 for college. I promise you, my grandkids will appreciate the gift, and send a thank you card, because that’s how they are raised.
That you would do more, doesn’t make you better, or give you a reason to bash others.
I was not intending to bash-I just though that seemed like a very low amount. As I said I give that much to my kids 11 year old friends for birthdays every year.
It's low- unless you have several grandkids graduating. Like say there's two hs and an eighth grade. It's happened. Then it adds up for folks on a fixed income. I saw in my sons counselors office a list of Christmas rules and one was don't overspend to show people how much you love them. That should apply for graduation. If a kid is raised right he should understand 25 dollars may be a lot to someone on social security. I've explained this sort of thing to mine before.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I'd be willing to bet that most kids would appreciate any amount. From what I've seen, it's usually the parents that are the biggest complainers.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I wouldn't go to either one. Sit down and talk to them, tell them that you don't want to go to one, and not the other, so you won't be attending either. Then maybe after graduation, you can pick them both up and go to lunch together?

PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'd talk to the kids and see what they wanted. Maybe work it out that mom and Dad go to one and I go to the other. Or whatever the kids wanted. maybe have them battle to the death to see which one gets us there. Then there wouldn't be a choice to make and the survivor has more money for post secondary.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:17 pm I'd talk to the kids and see what they wanted. Maybe work it out that mom and Dad go to one and I go to the other. Or whatever the kids wanted. maybe have them battle to the death to see which one gets us there. Then there wouldn't be a choice to make and the survivor has more money for post secondary.
This and blame your children for not being kind enough to get with each other to ensure the grandkids would be spaced appropriately to avoid such things.
Mommabear2
Villein
Villein

Unread post

I would skip both and just take them both out for a special brunch/dinner.
Locked Previous topicNext topic