Adults ages 27 to 45 advised to get HPV vaccination

Deleted User 670

Unread post

Of course, they are which means more money for vaccine makers. The reason the vaccine was marketed to 11 year-olds, to begin with, was the fact that there are so many adults who already have a HPV virus and the vaccine would be useless to them. The only reason the new recommendation has come out is money.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm not sure. It might be worth a discussion with my doctor.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

I don't know. Is there really benefit if you have been monogamous for a long time and already have high risk HPV?
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:45 pm Of course, they are which means more money for vaccine makers. The reason the vaccine was marketed to 11 year-olds, to begin with, was the fact that there are so many adults who already have a HPV virus and the vaccine would be useless to them. The only reason the new recommendation has come out is money.
I don't love Big Pharma, either, but I also haven't ever seen medical recommendations made solely to create profits for them. Recommendations are research based. In this case, it was a study of 3200 women ages 27-45 who were followed for 3.5 years. They found that getting Gardasil 9 was significantly beneficial (88% effective) in preventing persistent infection, precancerous lesions, and cancer caused by the HPV strains it prevents against.

Sometimes it just does happen that evidence-based recommendations will make money for a manufacturer. That's not a reason to doubt the evidence. Do you refuse all vaccines based on the fact that the manufacturers make money on them, therefore that must be the ONLY reason to recommend them?
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yeah, no.
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Nope.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:07 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:45 pm Of course, they are which means more money for vaccine makers. The reason the vaccine was marketed to 11 year-olds, to begin with, was the fact that there are so many adults who already have a HPV virus and the vaccine would be useless to them. The only reason the new recommendation has come out is money.
I don't love Big Pharma, either, but I also haven't ever seen medical recommendations made solely to create profits for them. Recommendations are research based. In this case, it was a study of 3200 women ages 27-45 who were followed for 3.5 years. They found that getting Gardasil 9 was significantly beneficial (88% effective) in preventing persistent infection, precancerous lesions, and cancer caused by the HPV strains it prevents against.

Sometimes it just does happen that evidence-based recommendations will make money for a manufacturer. That's not a reason to doubt the evidence. Do you refuse all vaccines based on the fact that the manufacturers make money on them, therefore that must be the ONLY reason to recommend them?
That is one vaccine that my daughter did not get. I won't be getting it either.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Nope. f**k that. My kids won't get it either. I'm not against vaccines, but I feel like this is an instance where regular screening is the better way to go.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't think I will, not because it scares me, but I don't plan on having a different sexual partner in my lifetime.

I'm living life on the edge though, as I have already gotten my 11 yo DS vaccinated for it, 2 of the 3, & plan to get my other 2 children vaccinated when the time comes as well.
Locked Previous topicNext topic