Anyone do an out of state move before?

T3hSarah
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

We're looking to do a big move either in Dec/early Jan, or next June. I've got us narrowed down somewhat but the plan is once I'm done with Nursing school to move out of state. The decision to work 6 months here first or just get a job elsewhere is still undecided. We are looking mostly at North Carolina, or Georgia.

How do you find rentals and such because around here when you're looking for a rental you find the best ones by word of mouth or driving around looking for, for rent signs.

We plan to buy once we're established but we will likely have to rent first until we unload our current house up here.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I've never moved out of state as an adult but we made several big moves when I was a kid. I'm in NC so I would be happy to help search if you need. I love looking for shit like that.
Foxilady
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

We moved from CA to TX without visiting prior.
I really regretted that decision. It was based on cost of living and job security though.
We rented an apartment for 6 months that was 10 minutes away from my husbands work. We wanted a pool in a safe area.
We ended up building a home 30km away from his job - so the apartment was neither here nor there...
I would try to find a job and request relocation expenses :)
piratemoo
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

T3hSarah wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:52 am We're looking to do a big move either in Dec/early Jan, or next June. I've got us narrowed down somewhat but the plan is once I'm done with Nursing school to move out of state. The decision to work 6 months here first or just get a job elsewhere is still undecided. We are looking mostly at North Carolina, or Georgia.

How do you find rentals and such because around here when you're looking for a rental you find the best ones by word of mouth or driving around looking for, for rent signs.

We plan to buy once we're established but we will likely have to rent first until we unload our current house up here.
My suggestion is to do a short visit over the weekend, and look around. It's worth doing and you can check places out and get a feel for the locations/areas. I don't know if nursing jobs typically offer paid relocation, but if they do it's something to look into (don't count on it too much as a fresh grad though).
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Bumping in the hopes more people can offer advice. I've made some out of state moves as an adult, but I can't offer the best examples of proper planned moving.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Rebeccaraev2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Is it possible to take a vacation there, and get a feel of things? I moved to Oklahoma from California, but I had an idea of what I preferred based on visits.
Bingo

Unread post

we moved from NC to Illinois. ...bought a place over the phone...sight unseen ...sold old house to neighbors. ...
You just jump. ..wing it....rent without lease agreement. .best wishes
T3hSarah
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

My brother really suggests something around the mountains as we're from PA and it would give the closest feel to home, but part of moving is because I'm tired of the freaking cold! lol i've got friends that live in Hurdle Mills but just bought a place outside Roxboro but from what I can tell the schools aren't very good.
Any particular areas that you suggest looking into?
bmw29 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 am I've never moved out of state as an adult but we made several big moves when I was a kid. I'm in NC so I would be happy to help search if you need. I love looking for shit like that.
T3hSarah
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

This is usually how we go about things lol. We are not the best of planners. But with moving 4 kiddos with us I am trying to be a little more organized.
Bingo wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:28 am we moved from NC to Illinois. ...bought a place over the phone...sight unseen ...sold old house to neighbors. ...
You just jump. ..wing it....rent without lease agreement. .best wishes
Justanotherperson
Countess
Countess

Unread post

We moved from CA to TX 6 years ago. We called ahead of time to several different apt complexes and found 1 that was willing to give us a 3 month lease. It was cheaper than a hotel and gave us time to figure out the area and decide exactly where we wanted to be. We had no jobs so we had to pay cash for all 3 months on move in. We just rented a studio for the first 3 months. We both found full time work within 3 weeks of moving there. We ended up liking the the complex and area of town, so we ended up moving into a 2 bdrm apt after the 3 month lease was up on studio.
Locked Previous topicNext topic