Anyone do an out of state move before?

12beesonafarm
Peon

Unread post

We moved from va to cali.. then back to va lol

Dh was able to look at rentals because he was already working there before we moved. Maybe try to set up as many appointments as possible in one weekend and go visit for a few days if you can. Also, check out local forums and facebook groups .
MommaRex
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I've made three out of state moves; doesn't matter where, moving sucks.

My biggest suggestion to anyone moving, anywhere, hire out as much as you can afford and ask for help with the rest. Minimize the stress, the frustration, the mess and saves your sanity.
kmakksmom
Commoner
Commoner

Unread post

My husband and I moved from NC (my homestate) to WA (his homestate) back in 2002. We left the majority of what we had, jumped on a plane with our 3 daughters at the time...they were 3,2 & 1...and moved in with my SiL for a few months. Did I mention I was 8 months pregnant too?

It was pretty stressful, but we've been in WA ever since.
💜My heart is made of: Kayla 18, Madison 17, Angelina 16, Kiara 15, Kaden 9 & Savannah 3.💜
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We've done it twice. Once right after we got married we went from Florida to Georgia and we made a couple trips up prior to find an apartment. When we moved from Georgia to Texas, we left DD with my parents (I was pregnant with DS) and we enlisted a real estate agent to help us find a place. There also places like apartment finders who might be able to help.
T3hSarah
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

We've moved several times in the area, since having kids our moves seem to happen after we've added an extra kid lol. We've been pricing out those pods as you can load them at your convenience and then they can either store the containers or take them directly to where you're moving. Hopefully they don't cost an arm and a leg. If so I am likely to just sell off just about everything and buy new stuff when we get there.
MommaRex wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:35 am I've made three out of state moves; doesn't matter where, moving sucks.

My biggest suggestion to anyone moving, anywhere, hire out as much as you can afford and ask for help with the rest. Minimize the stress, the frustration, the mess and saves your sanity.
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My advice to you would be 1st figure out where you want to live before taking the NCLEX so you can be license in that state. Also both NC and GA pay nurses decently. We moved cross country before and it’s expensive, but worth it!
T3hSarah
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

brunehilda wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 pm We moved from Georgia to Pennsylvania almost twenty one years ago. We made a trip up here a couple of months before we actually moved to look for a place to rent. We found an apartment and started the process of applying and everything while we were here. I would advise you to make a trip ahead of time to search for places if it's possible. A friend of mine moved out of state a few months ago, without ever going there ahead of time, no apartment or anything. She lived in a hotel for a month before she found an apartment and she moved in so quickly without researching it, she didn't realize what a shithole it is. It's basically a slight step above Section 8 and now she's stuck there until next February because she can't break her lease.
Yeah we want to be sure we don't end up doing something like that. We're heading to FL in a little over a week so I'm hoping to make a pit stop or two along the way to check out a few possible choices to either keep them on the list or scratch them off.
T3hSarah
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Maggie wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:43 pm My advice to you would be 1st figure out where you want to live before taking the NCLEX so you can be license in that state. Also both NC and GA pay nurses decently. We moved cross country before and it’s expensive, but worth it!
Whether to take the NCLEX here or in the other state depends on if we decide to move in the middle of the school year for the kids, or wait til summer. I have a job already guaranteed to me when I graduate so I'd be able to get like 6 months experience before the move if we waited until the school year was over.
onetastydish
Peon

Unread post

I'm curious about this as well because we're looking to move out of state in about 2 years. Not quite sure what steps to take as far as finding work, a house, and actually getting hired by being out of state.
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Job guarantee sounds awesome, it would give you the 6 months of experience.
Would you be moving for your DH’s job or just because?

T3hSarah wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:59 pm
Maggie wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:43 pm My advice to you would be 1st figure out where you want to live before taking the NCLEX so you can be license in that state. Also both NC and GA pay nurses decently. We moved cross country before and it’s expensive, but worth it!
Whether to take the NCLEX here or in the other state depends on if we decide to move in the middle of the school year for the kids, or wait til summer. I have a job already guaranteed to me when I graduate so I'd be able to get like 6 months experience before the move if we waited until the school year was over.
Locked Previous topicNext topic