Anyone do an out of state move before?

Foxilady
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

Guest wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:07 pm
Foxilady wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:26 am We moved from CA to TX without visiting prior.
I really regretted that decision. It was based on cost of living and job security though.
We rented an apartment for 6 months that was 10 minutes away from my husbands work. We wanted a pool in a safe area.
We ended up building a home 30km away from his job - so the apartment was neither here nor there...
I would try to find a job and request relocation expenses :)
How much did it take for you to move? I'm planning on moving to TX from CA around this time next year. I'll have about 10K saved, which should be enough to move if I don't get moving expenses, but not enough to move and live on in hopes I find a job. I think that's going to be my biggest challenge, is finding someone willing to hire out of state. Why did you regret the decision to move without visiting prior?

We had three young children (11 months - 4 years) it took 5 days to make the drive. In fact my husband drove the uhaul and made it to the hotel every night before us lol.
We went cheap. We packed and loaded the uhaul and rented the truck and trailer to pull hubby car. I can’t remember the actual cost of renting them. Hubby had to fill up every day so that added $150 a day (or thereabouts)
We stayed in pet friendly hotels with indoor pool. Which ended up being cheap too. $150 max per night.
Because we rented an apartment our actual move in costs were cheap as chips. Less than $350 (rent was $1500)
Hubby did receive relocation expenses from his employer $5k in the pocket (they covered the taxes)
If memory serves moving cost $3500

Texas and California are like night and day to me. We’ve gained financially but that’s about it. Pretty much hate everything else about living here :)
I would have don’t much better living more north. Especially Austin - such a friendly city.
Houston sucks ass :p
T3hSarah
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Great suggestion on the facebook groups. Thanks!
Pinkiepie2010 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:02 pm We are in the process of moving from TX to AR. But we have family to help us look for houses in the area. I have found a lot of rentals in FB rental groups for the area we are looking at. Maybe try some of those.
unicorn supreme❤
Villein
Villein

Unread post

We found a place online prior to moving . The property manager had a lease ready to sign the day we arrived. Before signing the lease, we spent a few hours driving around town and checking local newspapers and ended up finding a way better place. That landlord had it ready for us the next day.
Spookly
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Nope, I don't think I ever have. But good luck to you in your move!
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My parents decided to move from SLC to pa when I was a teenager. They got a place to rent through family in pa.
I wish you luck, you'll need it.
i want candy!
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

T3hSarah wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:44 am I found a pile of school districts with comparable ratings to what we're in now. Want to talk sucky schools look up Nevada and South Carolina both were really rough. I like smaller towns, to mid-sized. I'm in a town of 6k but its a AAA school district because the other smaller boroughs feed into it as well. I'm a 5 minutes drive from the mall, dept stores, walmart etc. I graduated from the next town over which is roughly 50k people, so i can handle areas like that. Where I hate having to drive and deal with the amount of traffic is Pittsburgh or Harrisburg both just over 2hours away both large cities for us. When we buy we want something with a lil bit of land like 2 acres or more.
bmw29 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:30 am
T3hSarah wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 am My brother really suggests something around the mountains as we're from PA and it would give the closest feel to home, but part of moving is because I'm tired of the freaking cold! lol i've got friends that live in Hurdle Mills but just bought a place outside Roxboro but from what I can tell the schools aren't very good.
Any particular areas that you suggest looking into?
I'm right outside of Charlotte. It's 3 1/2 to 4 hours to the beach and 2 hours to the mountains so it's perfect for me. Unfortunately public schools in the entire state suck. We homeschool, not because of that but still. There are some that are better than others though for sure. What kind of town are you looking for? Do you want big city, small town or something in between?
I'm from pa! I don't mind Harrisburg and Pittsburg it's philly traffic that gets me.
i want candy!
Foo Lyn Roo
Villein
Villein

Unread post

my out of state move was 20 mins from where I lived at the time.
so i really didn't have any issues.
Divamami
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I would suggest a realtor in the area you are looking at. They will know the best neighborhoods, school districts, and can later help house hunting
T3hSarah
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I've never been to Philly but I've heard the traffic is rough, I'll stick to the smaller towns and cities. Iyell enough obscenities at the drivers around me as is. :lol:
madfoodie wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:04 pm
T3hSarah wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:44 am I found a pile of school districts with comparable ratings to what we're in now. Want to talk sucky schools look up Nevada and South Carolina both were really rough. I like smaller towns, to mid-sized. I'm in a town of 6k but its a AAA school district because the other smaller boroughs feed into it as well. I'm a 5 minutes drive from the mall, dept stores, walmart etc. I graduated from the next town over which is roughly 50k people, so i can handle areas like that. Where I hate having to drive and deal with the amount of traffic is Pittsburgh or Harrisburg both just over 2hours away both large cities for us. When we buy we want something with a lil bit of land like 2 acres or more.
bmw29 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:30 am

I'm right outside of Charlotte. It's 3 1/2 to 4 hours to the beach and 2 hours to the mountains so it's perfect for me. Unfortunately public schools in the entire state suck. We homeschool, not because of that but still. There are some that are better than others though for sure. What kind of town are you looking for? Do you want big city, small town or something in between?
I'm from pa! I don't mind Harrisburg and Pittsburg it's philly traffic that gets me.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We moved from Georgia to Pennsylvania almost twenty one years ago. We made a trip up here a couple of months before we actually moved to look for a place to rent. We found an apartment and started the process of applying and everything while we were here. I would advise you to make a trip ahead of time to search for places if it's possible. A friend of mine moved out of state a few months ago, without ever going there ahead of time, no apartment or anything. She lived in a hotel for a month before she found an apartment and she moved in so quickly without researching it, she didn't realize what a shithole it is. It's basically a slight step above Section 8 and now she's stuck there until next February because she can't break her lease.
Locked Previous topicNext topic