Computer Programming and development

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Is an Associates degree in Computer Programming and Development a good starting off point? I’m tired of being in my 40s and only making 8.00 an hour with no benefits or vacation time or anything
Anonymous 2

Unread post

With an associate's degree in that field you can earn a median wage between $35,000 and $93,000, depending on your area.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would ask an advisor to make sure the market isn't saturated. I tried coding. Now this was BASIC language back in the eighties but I hated it. I wanted to kill things it was so tedious. But yds does well in the class and certainly the language must be easier now.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Yes. It'll get you in the door. And your future employer might help pay for getting your bachelors.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:47 pm Yes. It'll get you in the door. And your future employer might help pay for getting your bachelors.
At 44 yo will I be to old?
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:50 pm
Dylexsmommy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:47 pm Yes. It'll get you in the door. And your future employer might help pay for getting your bachelors.
Maybe, probably not. Tons of people get educated later in life and start new careers in their late 30s or 40s. You'll still have a good 20 years worth of employment ahead of you.
Have you considered extending into the field you're currently in?
Like if you're a CNA get an associates in nursing.
Or if you're in accounts receivable, get a degree in business?

I'm currently going back to school as well. I thought long and hard about my degree choices and finally decided to throw caution to the wind and toss out any preconceived notions that I need a corporate job to succeed. (I work corporate, and its killing me slowly).

Now that I've changed to what i want to do I'm actually enjoying school and studying.

You should enjoy what you do. What have you always wanted to do?
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I find this field is more often about what you know and can do rather than what your degree is. That said, to get your foot in the door at some companies (like mine), you need a 4 year degree. A person with a four year degree in an unrelated field but with proven programming skills would be hired while a person with a 2 year degree like yours wouldn't even be eligible to apply.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:57 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:50 pm
Maybe, probably not. Tons of people get educated later in life and start new careers in their late 30s or 40s. You'll still have a good 20 years worth of employment ahead of you.
Have you considered extending into the field you're currently in?
Like if you're a CNA get an associates in nursing.
Or if you're in accounts receivable, get a degree in business?

I'm currently going back to school as well. I thought long and hard about my degree choices and finally decided to throw caution to the wind and toss out any preconceived notions that I need a corporate job to succeed. (I work corporate, and its killing me slowly).

Now that I've changed to what i want to do I'm actually enjoying school and studying.

You should enjoy what you do. What have you always wanted to do?
Don't know. I have only been a CNA and I have no love for the medical field. I'm totally burned out
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Programmers are in high demand where I work and consistently have been for many years. Mostly because I'm in the public sector and most developers can make double what we pay in the private sector, but for the low cost of living and low stress job, the pay ain't bad. If you can tolerate the tedium of developing, go for it.
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It’s easier to gain experience by freelancing (during and after college) unless you get in with a company straight out of college. Unlike most career paths though a lot of tech startups and some larger companies are getting away from the degree requirement and instead giving them a test or small project during the interview process to see what their skills are like. Straight out of college students don’t know a lot of the tricks and shortcuts so gaining experience on their own through freelancing gives them a better shot at getting a job and doing well on the tests.

I’ll give anyone experience in programming, just work on this site for free lol
Smarties wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 pm I find this field is more often about what you know and can do rather than what your degree is. That said, to get your foot in the door at some companies (like mine), you need a 4 year degree. A person with a four year degree in an unrelated field but with proven programming skills would be hired while a person with a 2 year degree like yours wouldn't even be eligible to apply.
🤓The Admin 🤓
Locked Previous topicNext topic