My mother doesnt understand that we don't want to celebrate 4th of july with her

Unread post

I am a dual citizen. I was born in the US but spent most of my childhood and adult life in the UK. We came to visit my mom for most of the summer. She is planning a huge bbq for 4th of july. She wants us to come in the morning and hang out all day. We arent really interested in it. We did it one year and it wasnt much fun. A bunch of drunken idiots some even passed out before the fireworks went off.

Our hotel has a great view of the firework show right from our balcony. We decided we would watch the fireworks but we were not going to go to my mothers house again.

I am sure it is just her and her friends that drink too much and act like fools but it just isnt a fun time for us. She is of course upset that we are skipping it. She has turned this into the fact that we must be anti american or something and that I am not proud of this country and all of that crap.

I am not sure why she doesnt understand that we dont care about a big drunken bbq. My husband and children are not american and this isnt a huge holiday for us. I mean the fireworks are nice but it isnt like we celebrate it back home or anything. If she had a small thing with us and other family I am sure we would have a fun time but not going to her stupid bbq isnt the end of the world like she seems to think it is. Just because she goes crazy for it doesnt mean we want to.

Just wanted to vent.
Squirrelcat
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I don’t blame you. I wouldn’t want to be around drunken idiots either
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That sounds fun to me (as long as I'm not excepted to cook, lol) but it's your choice obviously.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I might go for a few hours and then go back to the hotel. Or just tell her she is welcome to come spend time with you at the hotel but you are not wild about hanging out with her friends. If she bitches, just block her till after its over
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Do whatever works for you.

Unread post

You could just go for an hour or 2. No need to stay all day.
Bakingmomma
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

That doesn't sound like fun. I wouldn't go either.

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:48 am I am a dual citizen. I was born in the US but spent most of my childhood and adult life in the UK. We came to visit my mom for most of the summer. She is planning a huge bbq for 4th of july. She wants us to come in the morning and hang out all day. We arent really interested in it. We did it one year and it wasnt much fun. A bunch of drunken idiots some even passed out before the fireworks went off.

Our hotel has a great view of the firework show right from our balcony. We decided we would watch the fireworks but we were not going to go to my mothers house again.

I am sure it is just her and her friends that drink too much and act like fools but it just isnt a fun time for us. She is of course upset that we are skipping it. She has turned this into the fact that we must be anti american or something and that I am not proud of this country and all of that crap.

I am not sure why she doesnt understand that we dont care about a big drunken bbq. My husband and children are not american and this isnt a huge holiday for us. I mean the fireworks are nice but it isnt like we celebrate it back home or anything. If she had a small thing with us and other family I am sure we would have a fun time but not going to her stupid bbq isnt the end of the world like she seems to think it is. Just because she goes crazy for it doesnt mean we want to.

Just wanted to vent.
This actually made me laugh. Of course they aren't going to celebrate for something they lost. Doesn't your mother see how ironic it actually is? I read it all and get that's not the real reason, but it's still kind of funny.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't like hanging around drunks, so I certainly wouldn't hang around for hours. I'd maybe compromise and go for an hour or two, then leave.
DeleteAccount
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:58 am Do whatever works for you.
This doesn't pertain to the OP or her post, but to you Inmybizz. When I saw your screen name it made me think of something my 9 year old said a couple of days ago. We were outside and a fly flew in her face. She jumped back flailing her arm and said, "Stupid fly, all up in my bizz!" I got so tickled at her, lol. Very ransom I know, just thought I would share that with you because of your screen name.
Locked Previous topicNext topic