Who's obligation is it to provide affordable housing and how cheap does it have to be?

Unread post

I keep seeing the call for affordable housing, but who's supposed to provide it? If you think it's the tax payers, how much extra would you be okay with coming out of your own paycheck to provide this affordable housing? $1? $10? $50? And what do you believe is an affordable price for rental housing? Give me an exact rental amount.
Foreverme123
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

*whose
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Affordable housing by my understanding goes by income as to how much someone pays so someone may pay $100 but someone else may be $800 etc.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I don't think every apartment building needs to be state of the art and huge and fancy so that the rent is $1500 a month. They can make some smaller less fancy ones. They will still have tenants.

Same with houses. Not every house has to be a McMansion. Some can be 2 or 3 bedrooms instead of 6 bedrooms. They will still sale the house no problem
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:30 pm I don't think every apartment building needs to be state of the art and huge and fancy so that the rent is $1500 a month. They can make some smaller less fancy ones. They will still have tenants.

Same with houses. Not every house has to be a McMansion. Some can be 2 or 3 bedrooms instead of 6 bedrooms. They will still sale the house no problem
Crap where I live $1,500 a month would be a mansion. I rent a 3 bedroom house for $1,000 a month.

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:30 pm I don't think every apartment building needs to be state of the art and huge and fancy so that the rent is $1500 a month. They can make some smaller less fancy ones. They will still have tenants.

Who is "they"? If a private developer wants to create a certain type of housing, why do you think you should have a say in that? Also, for a private developer, low income housing can be a liability and turn people with higher incomes away from their property. Nobody owes anyone affordable housing. Now, if tax breaks are involved, etc. that is a whole other story.
Victoriousmom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Like I care. I pay to own.

Bump for the bottom feeders.

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:38 pm

Who is "they"? If a private developer wants to create a certain type of housing, why do you think you should have a say in that? Also, for a private developer, low income housing can be a liability and turn people with higher incomes away from their property. Nobody owes anyone affordable housing. Now, if tax breaks are involved, etc. that is a whole other story.
Developers are thinking about their profit not the impact on a community. In my area people are fighting against a developer who wants to build more apartments near a factory and military base. In the last 15 years housing developers have made neighborhoods that have pushed many lower income people out. The income disparity has grown dramatically. It's where there really isn't a middle ground. You are either living in a house or a one bedroom efficiency. It's got to where some people want to push out the trailer parks that have been here for 40+ years.
The military and factory have a high turn over. Rentals are more expensive because military personnel rent their homes after they move and many rental companies have military discounts. I won't even mention how bad the traffic has gotten.
deltathree
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:22 pm Affordable housing by my understanding goes by income as to how much someone pays so someone may pay $100 but someone else may be $800 etc.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Starter homes here start at $400,000+ and are on the market for under a week, some sell 24 hours after hitting the market
That is a good chunk of change for many and unaffordable for some. But it is what the market allows. Do you want to make developers sell for less? They simply cannot do it as it is the land that costs the money. How do you want to regulate this? Do you want to regulate the amount a reseller can make on a house?
Locked Previous topicNext topic