Who's obligation is it to provide affordable housing and how cheap does it have to be?

Deleted User 876

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:53 pm I keep seeing the call for affordable housing, but who's supposed to provide it? If you think it's the tax payers, how much extra would you be okay with coming out of your own paycheck to provide this affordable housing? $1? $10? $50? And what do you believe is an affordable price for rental housing? Give me an exact rental amount.
Most taxpayers have to work hard to pay for their own housing and associated costs - they shouldn't be bled even more than they already are to provide "affordable" housing. People need to get off their keisters, and find work to pay for their own housing. People in my generation and my parents' often worked two, three jobs at a time to be able to buy a house - no reason why current generations can't do the same.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

nmkj wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:47 am I don't think it's anyone's job to provide a house to someone. Find what you can afford.
I agree. People need to take responsibility for themselves.
DDPickles86
Countess
Countess

Unread post

It's no one obligation. If you cant afford to move in a certain area say like silicon valley then ffs move somewhere else that you can actually afford to be in.
Mrs.ChuckBass
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:16 pm
Guest wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:38 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:30 pm I don't think every apartment building needs to be state of the art and huge and fancy so that the rent is $1500 a month. They can make some smaller less fancy ones. They will still have tenants.

Same with houses. Not every house has to be a McMansion. Some can be 2 or 3 bedrooms instead of 6 bedrooms. They will still sale the house no problem
Who is "they"? If a private developer wants to create a certain type of housing, why do you think you should have a say in that? Also, for a private developer, low income housing can be a liability and turn people with higher incomes away from their property. Nobody owes anyone affordable housing. Now, if tax breaks are involved, etc. that is a whole other story.
Developers are thinking about their profit not the impact on a community. In my area people are fighting against a developer who wants to build more apartments near a factory and military base. In the last 15 years housing developers have made neighborhoods that have pushed many lower income people out. The income disparity has grown dramatically. It's where there really isn't a middle ground. You are either living in a house or a one bedroom efficiency. It's got to where some people want to push out the trailer parks that have been here for 40+ years.
The military and factory have a high turn over. Rentals are more expensive because military personnel rent their homes after they move and many rental companies have military discounts. I won't even mention how bad the traffic has gotten.
I think a certain amount of the nits being built should be slated for low income, if the developer wants to build there, he should also take into account those who are being displaced by these new units - gentrification is wonderful, expect for the people who are being pushed out of their neighbourhoods and have no where affordable to go
Canadiana
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Victoriousmom wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:41 pm Like I care. I pay to own.

Bump for the bottom feeders.
Aww man your life must suck real bad. How sad.

*cue you coming in to tell me how great your life is.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DDPickles86 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:31 pm It's no one obligation. If you cant afford to move in a certain area say like silicon valley then ffs move somewhere else that you can actually afford to be in.
That's a fine opinion for people to have but do people in silicone valley like having convenience stores, coffee shops abd fast food? Because someone has to work those jobs but they don't pay enough to afford the average apartment in silicone valley.

Unread post

So commute, like millions and millions of other Americans.
PoplarGrove wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:59 pm
DDPickles86 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:31 pm It's no one obligation. If you cant afford to move in a certain area say like silicon valley then ffs move somewhere else that you can actually afford to be in.
That's a fine opinion for people to have but do people in silicone valley like having convenience stores, coffee shops abd fast food? Because someone has to work those jobs but they don't pay enough to afford the average apartment in silicone valley.
AnnOhn
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:38 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:30 pm I don't think every apartment building needs to be state of the art and huge and fancy so that the rent is $1500 a month. They can make some smaller less fancy ones. They will still have tenants.

Same with houses. Not every house has to be a McMansion. Some can be 2 or 3 bedrooms instead of 6 bedrooms. They will still sale the house no problem
Who is "they"? If a private developer wants to create a certain type of housing, why do you think you should have a say in that? Also, for a private developer, low income housing can be a liability and turn people with higher incomes away from their property. Nobody owes anyone affordable housing. Now, if tax breaks are involved, etc. that is a whole other story.
I live in the most expensive housing market in the nation. An annual household income of $269k is necessary to buy the average home. Our city and county require mixed housing developments. These include average family homes with affordable (which is different than low income housing.). The affordable income homes are considerably smaller, often are attached with zero lot line on one side and 6-10” backyard. The property tax for some affordable housing is below the state’s 1% tax, while the refusal homes pay a bond of 1.25% to subsidize the affordable housing.
DDPickles86
Countess
Countess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:59 pm
No one is entitled to an apartment or a house. Just because someone works in that area doesn't mean they are entitled to live in that area either. They can commute like millions of Americans do.

Blame inflation btw for how the housing market is there.
DDPickles86
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Diamepphyre wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:39 am
Guest wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:53 pm I keep seeing the call for affordable housing, but who's supposed to provide it? If you think it's the tax payers, how much extra would you be okay with coming out of your own paycheck to provide this affordable housing? $1? $10? $50? And what do you believe is an affordable price for rental housing? Give me an exact rental amount.
Most taxpayers have to work hard to pay for their own housing and associated costs - they shouldn't be bled even more than they already are to provide "affordable" housing. People need to get off their keisters, and find work to pay for their own housing. People in my generation and my parents' often worked two, three jobs at a time to be able to buy a house - no reason why current generations can't do the same.
I am millenial and I am ashamed of my generation. I was brought up to pay for my own things and not rely on a handout or for someone to make something "fair" to me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic