Adulting class in high school

AsteroidStar
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

My DD13 is in 8th grade,and the time has come for her to apply for high school. She wants to attend a very fast paced, high academic early college high school here in town. We were going over the course catalog(this thing is 63 pages long!) and one of the courses offered to seniors is "How to be an adult". It teaches budgeting, grocery shopping, balancing a checkbook, caring for a home(including basic maintenance), child development, how to do your taxes, among other things. I am really pleased about this. Too many kids are sent out into the world with very little concept on how to actually survive independently as adults.
You might be a king or a lowly street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Unread post

They teach all of those skills on school starting in primary school where I live

Unread post

That class has always been Home Economics and has been taught in every high school around here well, since I was in school and Im 43 yrs old now.
AsteroidStar
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 am They teach all of those skills on school starting in primary school where I live
I wish they did that here! Really though, I am so impressed with this school. It's highly academic, but they really do also seem to balance the academics with some really cool, fun stuff. I would have loved to have gone to a school like that!
You might be a king or a lowly street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.
AsteroidStar
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:54 am That class has always been Home Economics and has been taught in every high school around here well, since I was in school and Im 43 yrs old now.
Home Ec has always been an elective here, if it is even offered. This class is required in order to graduate.
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It should be a required class. Here, home ec teaches basic cooking and sewing but that's it.
Anon

Unread post

I teach my kids that everyday

Unread post

AsteroidStar wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:55 am
Guest wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:54 am That class has always been Home Economics and has been taught in every high school around here well, since I was in school and Im 43 yrs old now.
Home Ec has always been an elective here, if it is even offered. This class is required in order to graduate.
I can understand it, my dd's boyfriend( who didnt grow up around here) had no clue how to do many of those things, so much so that my dd wrote her College entrance paper on the fact that High School's should teach more life skills .
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Cool.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I loved home EC in high school. And the cooking/baking classes. I have no idea if they even do those anymore in school.
Locked Previous topicNext topic