Handmaid's Tale

Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No spoilers, I promise.

Do you think the world of The Handmaid's Tale is a possibility? Maybe not to such extremes, but the overall jist of it - our country being taken over by religious extremists and trying to force the rest of the country to follow their faith and rules?
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Ladyiq
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I swear sometimes I watch that show and it feels like its foreshadowing the future, it makes it hard to watch and unable to look away at the same time. I hate that I have to wait to Wednesdays to see what happens next!!
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think that is what happens when good people refuse to speak out.
CMrefugee
Donated
Donated
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I think there are those out there who'd love to try to spread their crazy and force others to live by their faith and rules. But I don't think it would ever come to pass and women especially aren't having it. Don't tell us what the f**k to do.
admin
The Law
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I haven't seen the show, but I have seen the trailer and I do think it's completely possible.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I love the show. I've read the book and have also seen the early 1990's film adaptation. The show itself is amazing, bit I also see things that I feel are reflections of our current climate. Groups that insist upon women being in specific biblical roles and vocally oppose women in positions of power. The zeal to strip rights away from certain groups.

It's terrifying.
Ladyiq wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 am I swear sometimes I watch that show and it feels like its foreshadowing the future, it makes it hard to watch and unable to look away at the same time. I hate that I have to wait to Wednesdays to see what happens next!!
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Very true. If such a thing were to go down, how many would remain silent and just go with the status quo?

In THT, the take over was gradual. Chipping away the rights of select groups before fully taking on the government and taking over. And those who protested or resisted were killed on the spot or forced into servitude.
mrsmacgiver wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:17 am I think that is what happens when good people refuse to speak out.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I 100% agree. We hear about these knuckle-draggers in government all the time as well as those not in government but still is positions of power.

While I def agree that many would not stand for such drastic changes in our society, how many would remain silent to save their own necks? Especially if any resistance to these changes were met with violence and death?
CMrefugee wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:24 am I think there are those out there who'd love to try to spread their crazy and force others to live by their faith and rules. But I don't think it would ever come to pass and women especially aren't having it. Don't tell us what the f**k to do.
NotACatfish
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

That’s the thing, people did speak out. Think of when Mrs Waterford tried to present her book and ideas to the public before everything changed. It just didn’t matter because eventually the zealots got their way.
mrsmacgiver wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:17 am I think that is what happens when good people refuse to speak out.
CMrefugee
Donated
Donated
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Too many to count. Pussies.

Watching Handmaid's Tale right now. ;)
Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:54 am I 100% agree. We hear about these knuckle-draggers in government all the time as well as those not in government but still is positions of power.

While I def agree that many would not stand for such drastic changes in our society, how many would remain silent to save their own necks? Especially if any resistance to these changes were met with violence and death?
CMrefugee wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:24 am I think there are those out there who'd love to try to spread their crazy and force others to live by their faith and rules. But I don't think it would ever come to pass and women especially aren't having it. Don't tell us what the f**k to do.
Locked Previous topicNext topic