Is your state (US) having squirrel death epidemics too?

Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

In New England we have had more squirrels that have been hit by cars this year then ever that anyone can remember in history. It has been so bad that it actually made the news. They think due to our summer we have an overpopulation and some squirrels are diseased and not making great decisions hence the # of deaths.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't know but there are more than enough around here that it would be just fine to lose a few.
Spunky
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I don't think so, I mean there are always dead ones on the road but no more than normal.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Spunky wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:11 pm I don't think so, I mean there are always dead ones on the road but no more than normal.
They had over 100 on a small stretch of highway in under a month.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I swear when I lived in New England the squirrels were downright suicidal and would wait until they knew you couldn't stop before making their move into the wheels of death.. Now I'm west coast and they just stalk you and terrorize your dogs.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:07 pm I don't know but there are more than enough around here that it would be just fine to lose a few.
:( I love squirrels so it makes me sad.

Unread post

I'm in NH and they are so bad. They are everywhere!
Aislinn
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

It's insane up here in Maine. I almost hit three on the highway two days ago. I can't ever remember squirrels running on to the highway. I almost got one two hours ago, but luckily I was slowing down for a speed bump, nobody was behind me and I was able to stop.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I haven't noticed that in my neighborhood. I've seen fewer squirrels but that is cyclical because some years the oak trees don't produce as many acorns as others and there's a drop in the squirrel population.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:21 pm I haven't noticed that in my neighborhood. I've seen fewer squirrels but that is cyclical because some years the oak trees don't produce as many acorns as others and there's a drop in the squirrel population.
You're lucky! I dodged 8 this morning in a 2 mile stretch and saw at least 5 dead.
Locked Previous topicNext topic