when does 'lack of appetite' become an eating disorder?

Deleted User 670

Unread post

Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:32 pm
Canadiana wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:37 pm
Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:07 pm
Have you tried actually forcing a big breakfast once? Because the more you eat the more hungry you will be. You aren't hungry because you aren't eating. Think of your body the same as a fire. If you put almost nothing, it doesn't burn. If you put too much, it doesn't burn. You have to feed it small amounts often. If you try this I guarantee you will start to feel more hungry.
I've never been a morning eater, I took a handful of vitamins this morning and I'm drinking a protein shake...I do have plant based protein powder I could add to it, but its so gross
I'm not much of a morning eater either.

There are things you can add to increase the protein and calories to shakes and smoothies. Avocado, it's high in healthy fat and potassium. Daily requirement for potassium is like 4,700mg. One small avocado has 708mg of potassium, whereas one small banana has only 326mg of potassium.

Powdered bone broth, excellent source of amino acids, mixes in hot beverages really well. I put a tablespoon in my coffee every morning. Get the unflavored gelatin kind for more versatility.

You can get egg yolk powder if you don't feel comfortable throwing a couple of raw eggs into the blender.

My daughter makes yogurt smoothies with yogurt and frozen fruit. Using frozen fruit will have the added benefit of making the shake nice and frosty.

You order from amazon in the US? This is the bone broth powder I use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GV ... UTF8&psc=1
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:43 am
Nerdymom wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm
Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:57 pm

I am starting to feel like its at that point and I don't know how to even ...... Im a little scared to be honest
I can feel the toll this is taking on my body, and I don't know if the lack of appetite is just from stress and missing my SO, and being super lonely, or if theres something like...wrong with me.
I read your reply about how much you are eating, that doesn’t seem healthy. Can you make a dr appointment and just discuss what’s up? If you think it’s from stress and being lonely maybe counseling? Otherwise getting checked out isn’t a bad idea if you can’t physically eat more there might be something going on.
I know what is causing it, a lack of control over the situation is at the root of it, and there is no end or resolution in sight, and its getting super depressing.
I also have ADHD, super bad insomnia which I'm medicated for, and apparently an 'adjustment disorder' - I am seeing a psychiatrist, and I can access counselling at the university, but ....counselling doesn't resolve the issue, it only helps so much, you know?

I have been through a lot in the last year and a half, a lot of changes have happened in my life which are major stressors and Its accumulated into a high allostatic stress load, where the stressors are just one after another after another and something has to give, because if it doesn't, my body will be what gives.
I have 'been strong' for so long, and I am starting to allow myself to get help for things, but admitting that stress is doing this to me is really hard.

I am a little scared to tell my psychiatrist that I'm not eating well, and that its getting concerning, because I am terrified of being hospitalized against my will and force fed or something, which is probably ridiculous . (watched a stupid show 'I'm not crazy' on Netflix and saw what happened to a girl who was hospitalized for an eating disorder and it horrified me)
I'm certainly not an expert on eating disorders but from what I understand, people who have eating disorders use the food as a way to have control when they don't have control over other aspects of life. I'm not a professional or anything like that so I could be wrong but that's something I heard about eating disorders. You need to talk to your psychiatrist about it and if you haven't already, get a medical examination to see if there's any underlying issues.
Canadiana
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:07 pm
Have you tried actually forcing a big breakfast once? Because the more you eat the more hungry you will be. You aren't hungry because you aren't eating. Think of your body the same as a fire. If you put almost nothing, it doesn't burn. If you put too much, it doesn't burn. You have to feed it small amounts often. If you try this I guarantee you will start to feel more hungry.
I've never been a morning eater, I took a handful of vitamins this morning and I'm drinking a protein shake...I do have plant based protein powder I could add to it, but its so gross
Are you a vegan? Please try. Try some eggs and a little protein. I'm not a morning eating either but I'm telling you if you can get it down you will feel hungry in a few hours and you will feel so much better within a day or so. I don't think you need to hit the ER. unless you really feel like you CAN'T get anything down early but I suspect you just don't feel like it. Once you get past that and you keep eating you will feel hungry and you will feel good.
Spookly
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

When the doctor says it is? I donno.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Spookly wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:37 pm When the doctor says it is? I donno.
Hey!! Where have you been?
CreamTop
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

What is your current height & weight? If you see your Dr and nothing is medically wrong, then take yourself to a nutritionist. Dr’s are notoriously not great with nutrition or advice regarding it. Go to the experts!
i rise.....
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It sounds like anxiety or depression. Please go have a talk with your doctor. Stress and lack of eating can lead to ulcers as well as the obvious vitamin and mineral difficiencies.

Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:57 pm
Nerdymom wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:35 pm I would guess when it is causing negative health issues but not caused by a specific medical reason and is chronic not just “I don’t feel like eating right now”
I am starting to feel like its at that point and I don't know how to even ...... Im a little scared to be honest
I can feel the toll this is taking on my body, and I don't know if the lack of appetite is just from stress and missing my SO, and being super lonely, or if theres something like...wrong with me.
Mrs.ChuckBass
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Canadiana wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Are you a vegan? Please try. Try some eggs and a little protein. I'm not a morning eating either but I'm telling you if you can get it down you will feel hungry in a few hours and you will feel so much better within a day or so. I don't think you need to hit the ER. unless you really feel like you CAN'T get anything down early but I suspect you just don't feel like it. Once you get past that and you keep eating you will feel hungry and you will feel good.
I did a little better today, a breakfast drink in the morning and 4 slices of a gluten free pizza just now, and I took a bunch of vitamins this morning.
so thats lots, or more anyways

My ADD meds were recently increased, so it could just be that, and overall stress.
im gonna be ok, I won't let myself starve to death (I don't think?) but I need to get this under control before I start fall semester
Spookly
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

jas wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:07 pm
Spookly wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:37 pm When the doctor says it is? I donno.
Hey!! Where have you been?
Dying. LOL

I've been working a little here and there. Got a temp job and was pretty much spending my computer time with the kids or else just coming home to sleep otherwise, so I kinda faded out from here XD
Locked Previous topicNext topic