when does 'lack of appetite' become an eating disorder?

Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:49 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 pm I need more details
on an average day I eat....maybe 1 carnation breakfast protein drink(if I have any in the house)....maybe a few bites of what I make the kids for supper.

for instance, some days all I will eat is a taco, its one of the few fast foods left that I can eat (gluten allergies)
usually I can at least scarf down 1 whole taco from Taco Bell - lately maybe I can eat about half a taco.

I do try to make myself eat I know I need to eat, and its not about body image (don't worry I do still cook for and feed my kids!)
Have you ever been to the doctor to make sure there isn’t an underlying medical problem?
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

When it affects your day to day life and functionality.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Your body is going to to into starvation mode soon. I think you should go see a doctor. This is a tiny amount of food that you mentioned and you need to eat at least twice that to stay in maintenance.
What do you drink throughout the day?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Lack of appetite can be caused by medications and nutritional deficiencies deficiencies. A zinc deficiency can cause inappetence. And low potassium levels can cause nausea which in turn takes away the appetite. Are you taking a good quality multivitamin and multimineral? You need to see your doctor.
Mammagoose
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:49 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 pm I need more details
on an average day I eat....maybe 1 carnation breakfast protein drink(if I have any in the house)....maybe a few bites of what I make the kids for supper.

for instance, some days all I will eat is a taco, its one of the few fast foods left that I can eat (gluten allergies)
usually I can at least scarf down 1 whole taco from Taco Bell - lately maybe I can eat about half a taco.

I do try to make myself eat I know I need to eat, and its not about body image (don't worry I do still cook for and feed my kids!)
Umm taco bell isn't safe for those who cant eat gluten. And I hope you are drinking carnation instant breakfast light start or you're hurting yourself there as well.
deltathree
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Nerdymom wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:35 pm I would guess when it is causing negative health issues but not caused by a specific medical reason and is chronic not just “I don’t feel like eating right now”
NotACatfish
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

When it’s associated with maladaptive thought patterns. Loss of appetite by itself would lead me to believe it’s something physiological
Mrs.ChuckBass
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Nerdymom wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm
Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:57 pm
Nerdymom wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:35 pm I would guess when it is causing negative health issues but not caused by a specific medical reason and is chronic not just “I don’t feel like eating right now”
I am starting to feel like its at that point and I don't know how to even ...... Im a little scared to be honest
I can feel the toll this is taking on my body, and I don't know if the lack of appetite is just from stress and missing my SO, and being super lonely, or if theres something like...wrong with me.
I read your reply about how much you are eating, that doesn’t seem healthy. Can you make a dr appointment and just discuss what’s up? If you think it’s from stress and being lonely maybe counseling? Otherwise getting checked out isn’t a bad idea if you can’t physically eat more there might be something going on.
I know what is causing it, a lack of control over the situation is at the root of it, and there is no end or resolution in sight, and its getting super depressing.
I also have ADHD, super bad insomnia which I'm medicated for, and apparently an 'adjustment disorder' - I am seeing a psychiatrist, and I can access counselling at the university, but ....counselling doesn't resolve the issue, it only helps so much, you know?

I have been through a lot in the last year and a half, a lot of changes have happened in my life which are major stressors and Its accumulated into a high allostatic stress load, where the stressors are just one after another after another and something has to give, because if it doesn't, my body will be what gives.
I have 'been strong' for so long, and I am starting to allow myself to get help for things, but admitting that stress is doing this to me is really hard.

I am a little scared to tell my psychiatrist that I'm not eating well, and that its getting concerning, because I am terrified of being hospitalized against my will and force fed or something, which is probably ridiculous . (watched a stupid show 'I'm not crazy' on Netflix and saw what happened to a girl who was hospitalized for an eating disorder and it horrified me)
NotACatfish
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:43 am
Nerdymom wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm
Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:57 pm

I am starting to feel like its at that point and I don't know how to even ...... Im a little scared to be honest
I can feel the toll this is taking on my body, and I don't know if the lack of appetite is just from stress and missing my SO, and being super lonely, or if theres something like...wrong with me.
I read your reply about how much you are eating, that doesn’t seem healthy. Can you make a dr appointment and just discuss what’s up? If you think it’s from stress and being lonely maybe counseling? Otherwise getting checked out isn’t a bad idea if you can’t physically eat more there might be something going on.
I know what is causing it, a lack of control over the situation is at the root of it, and there is no end or resolution in sight, and its getting super depressing.
I also have ADHD, super bad insomnia which I'm medicated for, and apparently an 'adjustment disorder' - I am seeing a psychiatrist, and I can access counselling at the university, but ....counselling doesn't resolve the issue, it only helps so much, you know?

I have been through a lot in the last year and a half, a lot of changes have happened in my life which are major stressors and Its accumulated into a high allostatic stress load, where the stressors are just one after another after another and something has to give, because if it doesn't, my body will be what gives.
I have 'been strong' for so long, and I am starting to allow myself to get help for things, but admitting that stress is doing this to me is really hard.

I am a little scared to tell my psychiatrist that I'm not eating well, and that its getting concerning, because I am terrified of being hospitalized against my will and force fed or something, which is probably ridiculous . (watched a stupid show 'I'm not crazy' on Netflix and saw what happened to a girl who was hospitalized for an eating disorder and it horrified me)
TV is rarely reality. Please tell your psychiatrist. ADHD medication often has appetite suppression as a side effect so it could be from that if you are on meds for it. The other meds you are on may also be causing the problem. Fixing this issue may be as simple as a medication adjustment. You can only be hospitalized against your will if you are an immediate threat to yourself or someone else.
Mrs.ChuckBass
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:48 pm Lack of appetite can be caused by medications and nutritional deficiencies deficiencies. A zinc deficiency can cause inappetence. And low potassium levels can cause nausea which in turn takes away the appetite. Are you taking a good quality multivitamin and multimineral? You need to see your doctor.
I have so many multivitamins and I never freakin take them
I really should.
I will, I will write myself a note to remind me in the morning.
Locked Previous topicNext topic