Rx refills shouldn't be this complicated

Anon

Unread post

I used the have that same problem getting my son meds. One time I drove to 10 different pharmacies in two different towns trying to get my sons meds filled
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm so.....thats weird!!! I am also on ADHD meds, so I get that it can be a hassle!
but mine always has like 3 refills? at least....I have to stay with the same pharmacy, I can't just go here there or anywhere to get it filled and I only get the refill after x amount of time (30 days)

I can't imagine having to go see a doc every month for a refill script!! was he diagnosed by a family doctor or a psychiatrist?
Well no, I don't go see the doctor each time. I call the clinic and the doctor sends it to the pharmacy electronically. Ideally, I don't have to set foot in the office to get the script sent. Just for his appts once every three months.

He was originally diagnosed by a team at a center that specializes in child behavioral issues. Three people evaluated him and made their diagnosis as a team based on individual observations. One was a psychologist/psychiatrist (don't remember which), one was a family practitioner specializing in the field, one was a speech therapist. They all spent time with him one on one and then they also used surveys from us parents, teachers and daycare provider. All different sources of data all pointed to the same conclusion. Anyway, probably a much more complex answer than you were looking for but really his diagnosis was not as simple as your question assumed.
Now he just sees our family practitioner once every three months and we re-do the Vanderbilt survey every 6 months to one year with us parents and his teachers.
Mrs.ChuckBass
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:57 pm
Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm so.....thats weird!!! I am also on ADHD meds, so I get that it can be a hassle!
but mine always has like 3 refills? at least....I have to stay with the same pharmacy, I can't just go here there or anywhere to get it filled and I only get the refill after x amount of time (30 days)

I can't imagine having to go see a doc every month for a refill script!! was he diagnosed by a family doctor or a psychiatrist?
Well no, I don't go see the doctor each time. I call the clinic and the doctor sends it to the pharmacy electronically. Ideally, I don't have to set foot in the office to get the script sent. Just for his appts once every three months.

He was originally diagnosed by a team at a center that specializes in child behavioral issues. Three people evaluated him and made their diagnosis as a team based on individual observations. One was a psychologist/psychiatrist (don't remember which), one was a family practitioner specializing in the field, one was a speech therapist. They all spent time with him one on one and then they also used surveys from us parents, teachers and daycare provider. All different sources of data all pointed to the same conclusion. Anyway, probably a much more complex answer than you were looking for but really his diagnosis was not as simple as your question assumed.
Now he just sees our family practitioner once every three months and we re-do the Vanderbilt survey every 6 months to one year with us parents and his teachers.
thats good! I only ask because my initial diagnoses was from my family doctor and It took like a year to get into a psychiatrist for an official diagnoses, and the time in between was a bit of a hassle, thankfully I finally did get into the psychiatrist!!! :)
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

For future reference, you can save yourself the phone calls. You can get Walgreens refill requests done on their app. Just download the app and all you do is click a button. That won't account for wait time but at least you don't have to make any phone calls. I believe the app also gives you status updates, although it's been a while since I had an rx so I don't remember for sure.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:34 pm
Mom of monkeys wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:19 pm Our doctor gave us 3 prescriptions at a time. We had visits every 3 months. And you could have asked Walgreens if a near by Walgreens had it in stock.
When they were still paper I used to get three at a time but that all changed when they went electronic.
My dd takes adhd medicine too. Her doctor switched to electronic too. He sends all 3 months of hers in at her appointment and Walgreens stores them on file until we’re ready for it. I call the pharmacy directly when it’s time. Ask your dr if they can do the same.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mrsmacgiver wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 pm For future reference, you can save yourself the phone calls. You can get Walgreens refill requests done on their app. Just download the app and all you do is click a button. That won't account for wait time but at least you don't have to make any phone calls. I believe the app also gives you status updates, although it's been a while since I had an rx so I don't remember for sure.
I use the app for any other meds we get. But it Doesn’t work for my dds adhd rx. I have to call in.

Unread post

My sons on that too I use CVS they treat me like a criminal EVERY SINGLE TIME I pick an the script! I have even begged for some sort of delivery so it goes directly to the school. He only uses it at school. I literally pick it up from the pharmacy and drive it right to the school. I don’t even open the stapled bag. One time I picked up a different rx cream thinking it was his adhd meds and accidentally dropped it off to the nurse because I didn’t check 😂
T3hSarah
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

That is so frustrating. When we go to get a refill I have to physically go to the doctors office after calling it in, to pick up. To pick it up I have to sign a sheet and show my ID, then I go to the pharmacy and they swipe my ID. Its frustrating and tiresome luckily my kiddo doesn't take it every day so we're able to build up a lil bit of a supply for the times its harder to get over to the next town to pick up the script.
brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:33 pm
AubreeGrace17 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:06 pm That sounds much more challenging than need be. Have you tried any other local pharmacies?
I actually used to get it from a local pharmacy that rarely had issues but they closed about a year ago. That's when I switched to Walgreens. Around here, once I find a place I am hesitant to switch because when we moved here three years ago not all pharmacies would even fill it. CVS and Walgreens said they couldn't get it at all and at the time Wal-Mart said they could get it but it would take two weeks. That's when I found the little local one. Obviously Walgreens changed on that since then but I don't know if others have or not.
I was having the same types of problems...with Walgreens and CVS. I tried Winn Dixie's pharmacy; no more problems.
Locked Previous topicNext topic