Arkansas Governor signs new executive law to protect women.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

I believe (like 40% of the population) that transgender women ARE women and it is insane to ban a class of women in sport because they "may" have a biological advantage, especially such a small, already oppressed minority of women. Someday a woman will break a current athletic record and I will applaud that. I don't care, never have, about what chromosomes they have. Women support women.

I do like Sally's idea of changing classifications and divisions in sport but don't think it's necessary at this time. Perhaps in the not so distant future because as we know (I hope) gender is non-binary.

And again, "protecting women"? f**k that noise. Arkansas has no interest in protecting women. The political right has no interest in protecting women. They just want to shift the blame of women not feeling safe onto the transgender community and that sucks.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

WellPreserved wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:37 am I believe (like 40% of the population) that transgender women ARE women and it is insane to ban a class of women in sport because they "may" have a biological advantage, especially such a small, already oppressed minority of women. Someday a woman will break a current athletic record and I will applaud that. I don't care, never have, about what chromosomes they have. Women support women.

I do like Sally's idea of changing classifications and divisions in sport but don't think it's necessary at this time. Perhaps in the not so distant future because as we know (I hope) gender is non-binary.

And again, "protecting women"? f**k that noise. Arkansas has no interest in protecting women. The political right has no interest in protecting women. They just want to shift the blame of women not feeling safe onto the transgender community and that sucks.
That’s because you believe a woman is an ethereal notion…
And that’s fine…anyone should be able to dress however they want, get whatever plastic surgery they want, pick their own name ect…

But this is a conversation about sports and the physical ability differences that comes with S*x that have been proven by science.

So you truly believe your feelings should override scientific facts…

Welcome to the world of republicans! That’s exactly what they think too… crazy how you can actually have so much in common with people you dislike, huh?
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Slimshandy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:43 am
WellPreserved wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:37 am I believe (like 40% of the population) that transgender women ARE women and it is insane to ban a class of women in sport because they "may" have a biological advantage, especially such a small, already oppressed minority of women. Someday a woman will break a current athletic record and I will applaud that. I don't care, never have, about what chromosomes they have. Women support women.

And that’s fine…anyone should be able to dress however they want, get whatever plastic surgery they want, pick their own name ect…

But this is a conversation about sports and the physical ability differences that comes with S*x that have been proven by science.

Welcome to the world of republicans! That’s exactly what they think too… crazy how you can actually have so much in common with people you dislike, huh?
The conversation about fairness in sports is way too complex and important to reduce to simplistic legislation. That conversation still needs to be had, just like we are having it, and I don't think we (or "science") have all the answers yet.

However I agree with Wells that this rush to legislation, right now, is way more about othering transgender people and driving a wedge issue during a hot election season than about finding a fair way for kids to enjoy sports. The sports issues are affecting a very small number of people, but the opportunity to scare Americans that transgender athletes are coming for their daughters serves a very specific political purpose - scapegoating.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

SallyMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:58 am
Slimshandy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:43 am

The conversation about fairness in sports is way too complex and important to reduce to simplistic legislation. That conversation still needs to be had, just like we are having it, and I don't think we (or "science") have all the answers yet.

However I agree with Wells that this rush to legislation, right now, is way more about othering transgender people and driving a wedge issue during a hot election season than about finding a fair way for kids to enjoy sports. The sports issues are affecting a very small number of people, but the opportunity to scare Americans that transgender athletes are coming for their daughters serves a very specific political purpose - scapegoating.
I understand that you feel that way, but I also understand why there are so many women athletes that are happy about this.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

The world of sports is going to look very different in a few decades. That is, traditional sports may not change much but there are going to be whole new classes of enhanced humans with enhanced abilities - like flying - and whole new classes of sports to go with them. Get ready for real Quidditch with jetpacks, lol.

I think the a more pressing question in sports today is app betting. The new mobile systems enable realtime bets on the outcome of every single play, and people get in deep fast trying to make up for past losses. Gambling addiction is going through the roof, people are losing homes over this. Sports betting is a wild west and if we really wanted to address a pressing problem in sports, I think this is more important.

Sports betting in America is out of control
https://thecolgatemaroonnews.com/49536/ ... f-control/
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Slimshandy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:59 am I understand that you feel that way, but I also understand why there are so many women athletes that are happy about this.
Most women athletes will never have to deal with this in their lifetime, but the hate and fear stirred up about transgender people will enable fascists, so I don't agree this was a proportionate response to the issue.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

SallyMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:14 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:59 am I understand that you feel that way, but I also understand why there are so many women athletes that are happy about this.
Most women athletes will never have to deal with this in their lifetime, but the hate and fear stirred up about transgender people will enable fascists, so I don't agree this was a proportionate response to the issue.
Most women athletes care about fairness in sports…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

SallyMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:10 pm

The world of sports is going to look very different in a few decades. That is, traditional sports may not change much but there are going to be whole new classes of enhanced humans with enhanced abilities - like flying - and whole new classes of sports to go with them. Get ready for real Quidditch with jetpacks, lol.

I think the a more pressing question in sports today is app betting. The new mobile systems enable realtime bets on the outcome of every single play, and people get in deep fast trying to make up for past losses. Gambling addiction is going through the roof, people are losing homes over this. Sports betting is a wild west and if we really wanted to address a pressing problem in sports, I think this is more important.

Sports betting in America is out of control
https://thecolgatemaroonnews.com/49536/ ... f-control/
I think we're already seeing a change in traditional sports - faster times, incredible changes in the athleticism of sports like gymnastics and ice skating, the quality of team sports, etc. Look at skiing!

Olympics started out with 43 events in 9 sports and are now up to 363 events in 45 sports including newly added breaking and kayak cross. I think the expansion of what is sport and the celebration of all these athletes shows that given time, search for human excellence will be more inclusive rather than exclusive. Look at the advent of the para-olympics, invictus games, special olympics and the like?

Totally agree on the gambling.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Slimshandy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:49 am
Della wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:41 am
Slimshandy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:34 am

When a track star runs the 100 meter, they record the time.
That is how they determine “fastest in the country” or “fastest in the world”

It does not mean they competed against everyone in the country.

SO AGAIN… why do you think Flo Jo had a slower time than Usain Bolt?

Lol anything to avoid the question… almost like if you answer the question legitimately, you would have to admit something you don’t want to admit..,
I've never said males and females are the same.

How do you feel about females in the military?
I think women can pull a trigger just as fast as men, or repair a vehicle, or program a missile.

It’s a bullshit comparison because you refuse to answer the actual question.
That's not all that is involved in being a soldier.

I'm just not going to worry about the teensy tiny number of transgender athletes. This is nothing more than right wing fear mongering. Same as it was about gay people when I was a young girl.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Slimshandy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:20 pm
SallyMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:14 pm
Most women athletes care about fairness in sports…
Transgender people are not threatening "fairness in sports" so much that we need to outlaw them, but it sure makes a pile of red meat. That is a WAY bigger problem for women if these crusaders ride to power on it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic