‘Demolishing democracy’: how much danger does Christian nationalism pose?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Bad Faith, a new documentary on the rise of Christian nationalism in the United States, opens with an obvious, ominous scene – the storming of the Capitol on 6 January 2021 – though trained on details drowned out by the deluge of horror and easily recognizable images of chaos. That Paula White, Donald Trump’s faith adviser, led the Save America rally in a prayer to overturn the results for “a free and fair election”. That mixed among Trump flags, American flags and militia symbols were numerous banners with Christian crosses; on the steps of the Capitol, a “JESUS SAVES” sign blares mere feet from “Lock Them UP!”

The movement to overturn the 2020 election for Donald Trump was, as the documentary underscores, inextricable from a certain strain of belief in America as a fundamentally Christian nation, separation of church and state be damned. In fact, as Bad Faith argues, Christian nationalism – a political movement to shape the United States according a certain interpretation of evangelical Christianity, by vote or, more recently, by coercion – was the “galvanizing force” behind the attempted hijacking of the democratic process three years ago.

Bad Faith traces the origins of the movement as a savvy, disproportionately powerful political force, from churches to Republican political operatives to donors, either from conviction or convenience. “I think a lot of Americans have a very difficult time accepting and understanding the fact that such treason, such anti-democratic activity, could be carried out by people who basically look like Sunday school teachers,” Stephen Ujlaki, the film’s director, told the Guardian. By looking back on the half-century of Christian nationalist belief, organizing and action, the events of January 6 no longer seemed shocking, but the logical endpoint of anti-democratic ideals. “It was unmistakable, once you looked in the right place and you listened to what people were saying, and you understood how to decode what they were saying,” said Ujlaki. “Little would you know that when they talk about recreating the kingdom of God on earth, they weren’t talking about something spiritual. They were talking about demolishing democracy so that God, ie themselves, could rule. And for that reason, I call it a conspiracy carried out in broad daylight.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/a ... ationalism
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Here we go…

Christians and Jews and White people, oh my!
B44DB6EC-4965-4842-9086-1660D305EA74.jpeg
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I remember a few months ago watching a clip of Trump supporters engaging in street interviews. One woman said that "American Christians needed a dictator in the oval office". Thought it was just a one-off crazy😳
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I hope they get what they think they want.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I do fear Christian Nationalism, but honestly, I fear more the extreme left. I think that’s the biggest threat to America and all the west right now.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:18 pm I do fear Christian Nationalism, but honestly, I fear more the extreme left. I think that’s the biggest threat to America and all the west right now.
Why do you fear Christian Nationalism? You aren't afraid of Jewish Nationalism.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Young adults have always fought against religious fanaticism and religious nationalism and they've always been on the right side of history. Gosh I wish older adults would just support them.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:12 am the rise of Christian nationalism in the United States
Are there any direct quotes from Jesus in the New Testament that are in favour of nationalism?
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:44 pm Young adults have always fought against religious fanaticism and religious nationalism
It would be nice to think so, but I'm not sure that's always true.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/faci ... -soldiers/
https://www.lib.uchicago.edu/collex/exh ... -children/
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:32 am
mommy_jules wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:12 am the rise of Christian nationalism in the United States
Are there any direct quotes from Jesus in the New Testament that are in favour of nationalism?
I’m not going to say with 100% certainty that there isn’t, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

ETA: Posting the last part of an article that I thought you might appreciate…
This expansive openness to wider conversations and clear-eyed awareness of the Bible’s limitations in addressing current political issues offers one key to combating the rise of Christian nationalism. Christians need to recognize that the Bible is not a policy manual. Its moral and ethical precepts can promote great good if applied with an understanding that knowing it well is not a substitute for careful study of poliitcal issues and empathetic awareness of the actual people at the center of public debates. Religious extremists of any persuasion struggle in democratic contexts because democratic politics demands compromise and concession to foster human flourishing. Extremist movements like Christian nationalism demand that the world conform to hues of absolute black and white. Reality lies in nuance and humility, not authoritarian fantasies of cultural domination. American democracy has served us well by providing a free and open society where people of every religion and no religion are free to follow their consciences in matters of faith.
Combating the toxic growth of Christian nationalism calls for Christians to do what my professor’s colleagues and my undergraduate institution did so well in the past. Christians need to support those who promote accurate narratives of American history and responsible approaches to scripture. Even when it is hard and even if it costs something in terms of financial or popular support. Anything less allows QAnon conspiracy theorists and Christian Nationalists to undermine the hard-earned gains of American democracy and to define American Christianity for a watching world.
https://reformedjournal.com/christian-n ... pretation/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic