Pay to stay: Florida inmates charged for prison cells long after incarceration

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:11 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 pm That sounds better than us having to pay for their room and board…
It depends; are you trying to make society a better place, or just cause as much suffering as you can to those who you feel deserve it?
As I said…
Depends on the crime.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:24 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 pm That sounds better than us having to pay for their room and board…
It depends; are you trying to make society a better place, or just cause as much suffering as you can to those who you feel deserve it?
As I said…
Depends on the crime.
How do you feel about those cited in the article?

Is it worth sticking it to the 88% of incarcerated individuals to stick it to the 12% of incarcerated individuals?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:59 pm

As I said…
Depends on the crime.

Is it worth sticking it to the 88% of incarcerated individuals to stick it to the 12% of incarcerated individuals?
The ones who committed “regular” crimes that we could all imagine someone getting caught up in… no, they should be let go without being charged.

The ones who committed horrific crimes… I just couldn’t care less if they got a bill.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:01 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:59 pm

As I said…
Depends on the crime.

The ones who committed “regular” crimes that we could all imagine someone getting caught up in… no, they should be let go without being charged.

The ones who committed horrific crimes… I just couldn’t care less if they got a bill.
Our legal laws don't work that way, including Florida. If you want to deny the 12% of incarcerated early release, then you are going to have to deny the 88% who are convicted of "regular" crimes. If you are going to charge 12% of incarcerated for their full sentence, then you are going to have to charge the other 88%, Again, is that worth it?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

They often already have to pay court costs and other fees associated with legal troubles. I would be more keen to requiring them have a prison job, allowing them to earn a wage, and deducting fees from there, so long as it still allows them to get their basic necessities.

I don't understand the part about billing the next prison who uses the room. Does that mean that if someone is released and doesn't pay their bill, then the next person who takes the room pays their bill and the person before them? Because if so, that makes zero sense.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:22 pm They often already have to pay court costs and other fees associated with legal troubles. I would be more keen to requiring them have a prison job, allowing them to earn a wage, and deducting fees from there, so long as it still allows them to get their basic necessities.

I don't understand the part about billing the next prison who uses the room. Does that mean that if someone is released and doesn't pay their bill, then the next person who takes the room pays their bill and the person before them? Because if so, that makes zero sense.
Florida is billing inmates for the entire length of their sentence. If they are released early, they have to continue to pay room and board. If the bed is filled by another inmate, then both are paying room and board.

Room and board is $1600 a month so requiring inmates to pay even after release is cruel and sets them up for failure.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:08 pm
RIZZY wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:22 pm They often already have to pay court costs and other fees associated with legal troubles. I would be more keen to requiring them have a prison job, allowing them to earn a wage, and deducting fees from there, so long as it still allows them to get their basic necessities.

Florida is billing inmates for the entire length of their sentence. If they are released early, they have to continue to pay room and board. If the bed is filled by another inmate, then both are paying room and board.

Room and board is $1600 a month so requiring inmates to pay even after release is cruel and sets them up for failure.
It also keeps them from getting their voting rights back (on a felony conviction). They have to pay ALL fines, FEES, and restitution.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic