Why southwest Virginia is the birthplace of country music

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/trav ... -y32FHgTpM

Shameless brag. This is a great article about the evolution of country music and the role that Appalachia (particularly my little neck of the woods) plays.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My momma and her sister sang on the radio with Roy Acuff and they grew up just a jump and a skip away from Loretta Lynn's home. 🤗
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 pm My momma and her sister sang on the radio with Roy Acuff and they grew up just a jump and a skip away from Loretta Lynn's home. 🤗
Wonder what they'd say about what is considered "country" today.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:39 pm
Della wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 pm My momma and her sister sang on the radio with Roy Acuff and they grew up just a jump and a skip away from Loretta Lynn's home. 🤗
No harmony. No talent. No soul.

I loved listening to them strum and sing. They sung with so many of the soon to be legends. It was such a small world back then.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:30 am
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:39 pm
No harmony. No talent. No soul.

I loved listening to them strum and sing. They sung with so many of the soon to be legends. It was such a small world back then.
I'm envious!

I went to the IBMA conference last year and with 100s of thousands of participants, it still felt like a small world.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Bluegrass and country music was a big part of my childhood. My grandparents hosted a “pickin session” twice a week (Tuesdays and Saturdays) every week until 2001 when my grandfather passed away. He played the guitar and banjo. My grandmother sang. My great grandparents were in a bluegrass band, and their children play and/sing. It was more hit or miss with their grandkids. My dad being one of the ones who doesn’t play or sing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic