What to do with the instruments?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My kids were both in orchestra for several years. My daughter quit a few years ago and didn't want to keep her instrument so she gave it to her brother who played a different but similar instrument. Now he is switching to a completely different instrument (piano). Neither of them have touched the instruments in agessssss. I could probably take them out of his room and he would never even notice. I know they're going to want to keep the instruments for sentimentality and I get that.

The two instruments together, plus both entire outfits, are worth around $4K used. We could really use the money, not to mention all the space the instrument plus accessories take up.

Would you try to convince your kids to sell it? Give them part/all of the money? Let them keep it? Or make the decision on your own?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:23 pm My kids were both in orchestra for several years. My daughter quit a few years ago and didn't want to keep her instrument so she gave it to her brother who played a different but similar instrument. Now he is switching to a completely different instrument (piano). Neither of them have touched the instruments in agessssss. I could probably take them out of his room and he would never even notice. I know they're going to want to keep the instruments for sentimentality and I get that.

The two instruments together, plus both entire outfits, are worth around $4K used. We could really use the money, not to mention all the space the instrument plus accessories take up.

Would you try to convince your kids to sell it? Give them part/all of the money? Let them keep it? Or make the decision on your own?
You've indicated that the instruments are theirs so I would let them make the decision to sell or to keep. I would also tell them that if they decide to sell, you feel it's fair that you keep a portion of the sale as I'm assuming that you would be the one doing the legwork/listing. I pay a person to list and sell items for me on FB 50% of the sale price so I think 50% or even 70% of sale price for your "commission" would be fair.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We like to keep instruments even if not played at the moment. We have about 8 guitars, a mandolin, a piano, an electronic keyboard, and a banjo. I find interest sometimes comes back, and I like having them in the house. My DH does some trading up with his guitars, but he usually only sells if he wants to replace with another.

Now when it comes to sewing machines... that is my weakness and I have to curb the desire to buy way more than I have space for!
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would talk to my kids and explain that unless they plan on taking the instrument back up in the very near future, they are worth a lot of money that our family could use and another kid can get use of them, so we’ll be selling them. I’m assuming you paid for them to begin with, so I wouldn’t give them part of the money if you could really use it.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:46 pm I would talk to my kids and explain that unless they plan on taking the instrument back up in the very near future, they are worth a lot of money that our family could use and another kid can get use of them, so we’ll be selling them. I’m assuming you paid for them to begin with, so I wouldn’t give them part of the money if you could really use it.
Whether they purchased instruments with their own money or were gifted the instruments, the instruments are still theirs, not the parents.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I'd talk to my kids and ask if they want to sell them. We sold our sons and we kept the money because it was for an activity it wasn't a gift. He understood.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:46 pm I would talk to my kids and explain that unless they plan on taking the instrument back up in the very near future, they are worth a lot of money that our family could use and another kid can get use of them, so we’ll be selling them. I’m assuming you paid for them to begin with, so I wouldn’t give them part of the money if you could really use it.
Whether they purchased instruments with their own money or were gifted the instruments, the instruments are still theirs, not the parents.
Um, no. Their parents paid all that money for them, their parents have every right to it. She said they could really use the money. We frequently sell our kids clothes, toys, etc when they outgrow them on marketplace and such, unless our kids paid for it, we use that money to buy new things for the family. When I was a teenager my parents gave me a hand me down old car, when I went away to college and the car eventually got to the end of its life, my parents sold it for scrap and I knew that was their money and I had zero problem with it because I knew my parents originally paid for it plus a whole lot more for me when I was a kid.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Unless your kids are adults, then the instruments are yours to do with as you please. If they indicated that they will play again in the future then I’d keep them. If they have shown zero interest, then sell them.

My first son stopped playing his trumpet after 2 years—he didn’t want to play mine because “It’s old”. When he quit, we sold his trumpet. End of discussion, it was our money, and thus our choice….
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:58 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 pm
Um, no. Their parents paid all that money for them, their parents have every right to it. She said they could really use the money. We frequently sell our kids clothes, toys, etc when they outgrow them on marketplace and such, unless our kids paid for it, we use that money to buy new things for the family. When I was a teenager my parents gave me a hand me down old car, when I went away to college and the car eventually got to the end of its life, my parents sold it for scrap and I knew that was their money and I had zero problem with it because I knew my parents originally paid for it plus a whole lot more for me when I was a kid.
I agree with Anon2, but it depends on the age of the child. My DD has four outfits for her highland dancing, I have purchased all four of them for her. The outfits are hers now, to do as she pleases. When she was younger she knew the outfits were to be used to purchase new ones if she wanted one or outgrew one. But now she is older of she decides she is done and wants to quit the outfits are hers to do as she pleases. If she wants to keep them she can, if she wants to sell them feel free the money is hers to do as she wants. Thing is most highland dancers keep their last kilt outfit.

But then again the situation between myself and the OP may be different, so could change my view if I needed the money.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I've always donated mine to someone in need. Usually it was an acquaintance or friend of a friend who I heard was renting their instrument. I'd simply ask that they did the same and donate the instrument to someone in need if they stopped playing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic