Florida’s DeSantis signs one of the country’s most restrictive social media bans for minors

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida will have one of the country’s most restrictive social media bans for minors — if it withstands expected legal challenges — under a bill signed by Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday.

The bill will ban social media accounts for children under 14 and require parental permission for 14- and 15-year-olds. It was slightly watered down from a proposal DeSantis vetoed earlier this month, a week before the annual legislative session ended.

The new law was Republican Speaker Paul Renner’s top legislative priority. It takes effect Jan. 1.

“A child in their brain development doesn’t have the ability to know that they’re being sucked into these addictive technologies and to see the harm and step away from it, and because of that we have to step in for them,” Renner said at the bill-signing ceremony held at a Jacksonville school.

https://apnews.com/article/florida-soci ... 7355b5f164
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

TOS is 13, which means they can legally be on social media. That said, I was the mean mom because I did not allow it until they were legal according to TOS. They could only have IG and I had to be on there and know the people they followed. I also had their log ins.
Part of my issue is that for so many years, the Republican party was all about smaller government and letting parents set the rules and make their own decisions.. Now, they have taken a massive about face and they want to dictate what parents allow and don't allow- books, music, social media, etc..Maybe because I'm Gen X I just think this is none of their business. If I want to allow my child at 14 to have social media, I should be able to do so. Are there issues with social media? Yes..do I think the government should get to decide what I can do as a parent? Nope..not in this instance.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I don't have an issue with this bill and Desantis signing it.
just an old coot 😉🌵
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 am I don't have an issue with this bill and Desantis signing it.
Just curious..why do you think it is acceptable for them to say parents cannot decide what is acceptable in their family regardless of age when it comes to social media? I mean..this basically goes against the Constitution and free speech. I don't need the government telling me what I can allow my teens to have on their phones or use. That is *my* decision as a parent. I allowed my girls IG at 13 due to their theater class as they posted the choreography in a private group for them to watch it over and over to learn it. Now, at almost 16 and at 18..they don't have the restrictions they once had. The only things we don't allow is TikTok and Snapchat for our almost 16 year old because of security issues ( Dh works in CyberSecurity and won't allow them).
Claire
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Well, slightly better than Arkansas' attempt at parental permission for under 18. I don't know many parents who would provide their personal information to FB in order for their 14-15 yo to have an account. I sure as hell wouldn't.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:23 am
AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 am I don't have an issue with this bill and Desantis signing it.
Just curious..why do you think it is acceptable for them to say parents cannot decide what is acceptable in their family regardless of age when it comes to social media? I mean..this basically goes against the Constitution and free speech. I don't need the government telling me what I can allow my teens to have on their phones or use. That is *my* decision as a parent. I allowed my girls IG at 13 due to their theater class as they posted the choreography in a private group for them to watch it over and over to learn it. Now, at almost 16 and at 18..they don't have the restrictions they once had. The only things we don't allow is TikTok and Snapchat for our almost 16 year old because of security issues ( Dh works in CyberSecurity and won't allow them).
Not every parent is as diligent as you've been with your kid's on Internet access and usage.

Sometimes that "village" needs to step in and put these kinds of restrictions in place as so many parents do not pay attention to what their kid's are viewing and participating in online.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:32 pm
Not every parent is as diligent as you've been with your kid's on Internet access and usage.

Sometimes that "village" needs to step in and put these kinds of restrictions in place as so many parents do not pay attention to what their kid's are viewing and participating in online.
That's an interesting take on parental vs. government rights.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

That’s fine… I thought it was 16 anyways.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I completely disagree that the government should have any right to come in and tell parents their kids can't use social media. It crosses a line. I'm so over the government deciding that teachers can't let kids mention their two same S*x parents, books being removed because some yahoo gets pissy about it, and so on..it's not for the FL government to decide what parents that live there can allow their children to do and at what ages.
Claire
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:55 pm

I completely disagree that the government should have any right to come in and tell parents their kids can't use social media. It crosses a line. I'm so over the government deciding that teachers can't let kids mention their two same S*x parents, books being removed because some yahoo gets pissy about it, and so on..it's not for the FL government to decide what parents that live there can allow their children to do and at what ages.
You're free to move to somewhere that aligns more to what you believe. I like this bill and support it. A LOT of parents are idiots and yes, they do need to be told how to raise their kids. So teachers can't mention this or that... so? If YOU think YOUR child is ready - teach them. Want them to read a book? Buy it. The standards are NOT the same across the board. Just because a kid is in a certain grade doesn't make them ready to learn about certain things. Parents who give a shit are the ones speaking out. They don't ban a book because 1 is being pissy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic