Suspected NYPD Shooter had 21 Prior Arrests

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

New York police officer was gunned down by a career criminal who had been pulled over for a traffic stop, according to reports.

Officer Jonathan Diller, a married father who had a 1-year-old son, died after he was shot in the stomach on Monday evening in Mott Avenue in the Far Rockaway neighborhood of Queens. The suspected shooter who allegedly opened fire has been identified as Guy Rivera, a 34-year-old who had been arrested 21 times previously.

https://www.newsweek.com/who-guy-rivera ... rk-1883458

Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Rivera was "arrested 21 times," and nine of them were "felonies," what's wrong with this picture?
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:24 am Rivera was "arrested 21 times," and nine of them were "felonies," what's wrong with this picture?
That he served a bunch of time and continued to have a problem with recidivism, again proving that punitive justice is poor way to manage crime and we should focus more on restorative and rehabilitative justice?

Also that he apparently had way too easy access to guns and we need aggressive actions to keep them off the streets?
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:24 am Rivera was "arrested 21 times," and nine of them were "felonies," what's wrong with this picture?
What are his other felonies? Has he seen any prison time for them?
just an old coot 😉🌵
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:22 am
That he served a bunch of time and continued to have a problem with recidivism, again proving that punitive justice is poor way to manage crime and we should focus more on restorative and rehabilitative justice?

Also that he apparently had way too easy access to guns and we need aggressive actions to keep them off the streets?
My husband and I work for the same company, his department contracts with hospitals so they are required to follow Virginia barrier crimes. He has seen so many eager and skilled potential employees get hired and then get immediately fired because they have a barrier crime. I understand there need to be protections, I’m not saying hire someone who has abused children to work at a daycare, but he has seen people unable to get hired because they did things like try to escape from a juvenile detention center when they were minors, drunk drive a boat when they were in college, one guy pushed a police officer while being arrested for petty theft from a Walmart when he was 18, etc.

I’m not saying those things are okay, they should have consequences, but a stupid choice when you were a young adult, or in some cases a child, shouldn’t make you unable to find employment for the rest of your life. That’s what pushes people into poverty and then cycles crime. There is a very strong correlation between poverty and crime, not because poor people are bad, but because poverty causes desperation and a lack of respect for the government system that is failing you.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Prayers to the officer’s family.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"The Gun Violence Archive, a database that collects information about shootings across the country, has calculated that 3,735 people have died after being shot so far in 2024, just three months into the year, a figure that includes accidental deaths."
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:22 am

Fatal shooting of NYPD officer Jonathan Diller in Queens sparks call for greater reductions in recidivism

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fatal-shooti ... p_catchall
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

https://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/felony_sentences.php

Here's the State sentencing guidelines. What would you change?
306/232

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic