Terrible employer-sponsored meal

RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Long story short, my company hired someone to do accounting and cut costs. They slashed basically all of our benefits/perks and now office morale is extremely low. Several people are now looking for new jobs on the down low.

Anyway, the person who was hired to cut costs must have realized employee morale is low because they scheduled an event to bring everyone in the office a BBQ meal she was going to cook herself. I've been to her house, it was pristine. And I know she hosts a LOT. She posts a lot of photos on her FB showing the pizzas she makes in her pizza oven and they look great.

But then she brought the food and it was the worst BBQ I've ever had. Everyone was ranting and raving about the coleslaw; I found it inedible. Driest pork shoulder I've ever had. BBQ sauce tasted like straight vinegar. I ended up going out for lunch which I/we never do. We always work through lunch.

Anyway, I have a meeting with the boss this afternoon and I just KNOW he's going to ask me how I liked the food. Do I lie or be honest?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Texans are supposed to know how to make BBQ! 😜 I'd be honest if asked.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would just say “that’s really great that she made all of that for us, I really enjoyed it! I’d love to have more events like that where we can all rotate styles of food and try something new. Maybe we can do a vote for everyone to choose where we get food from next time, I think the staff would have a lot of fun giving suggestions.” It isn’t lying because it is all true, I do appreciate when someone cooks for me even if I don’t like the food and I do enjoy the staff bonding experience. While also opening the door for different food in the future and steering the event toward something everyone feels an input in. I recently had a staff event at a venue I don’t particularly like, but I did appreciate that the department was funding something for their staff and I told them so. Then I told them how much I’d love to do that more often and mix it up to explore different options that could include more staff, giving suggestions of options that were even more cost effective, and the upper leadership has taken a lot of those suggestions.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

While not exactly my taste in menu I really appreciate the work and effort she put into creating a great event."
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:28 pm Texans are supposed to know how to make BBQ! 😜 I'd be honest if asked.
Maybe it depends on the area, but I haven't found a BBQ place in Texas that I liked.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

That’s extremely ungrateful.
Someone goes out of their way to cook and host the entire office in their own home and the employees complain about the pork being dry?
I’d probably end up firing the ones that complained sooner or later. That’s an indication of future problems.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:26 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:28 pm Texans are supposed to know how to make BBQ! 😜 I'd be honest if asked.
Maybe it depends on the area, but I haven't found a BBQ place in Texas that I liked.
I've never tried it. That's just what I always hear from Texans.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:38 am That’s extremely ungrateful.
Someone goes out of their way to cook and host the entire office in their own home and the employees complain about the pork being dry?
I’d probably end up firing the ones that complained sooner or later. That’s an indication of future problems.
Dried out BBQ is as bad as not serving appetizers during a cookout. What kind of future problems do you see happening?
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:38 am That’s extremely ungrateful.
It wasn't in her home. She is the person who has slashed our benefits so much that employees are considering leaving and this meal was to make up for that.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I was surprised. I'm not any kind of BBQing expert so if I were to bring a meal to work for everyone (especially to make up for something) I wouldn't bring something I clearly don't know how to cook.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic