Terrible employer-sponsored meal

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:28 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:38 am That’s extremely ungrateful.
Someone goes out of their way to cook and host the entire office in their own home and the employees complain about the pork being dry?
I’d probably end up firing the ones that complained sooner or later. That’s an indication of future problems.
It wasn't in her home. She is the person who has slashed our benefits so much that employees are considering leaving and this meal was to make up for that.
What benefits exactly did she take away? She was doing her job, she was brought in to find cost saving opportunities because obviously the company couldn’t afford to keep on as they were, and she’s trying to replace it with a more cost effective way to build team morale. The food might not be your taste, but she’s not the villain.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:29 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:28 pm Texans are supposed to know how to make BBQ! 😜 I'd be honest if asked.
I was surprised. I'm not any kind of BBQing expert so if I were to bring a meal to work for everyone (especially to make up for something) I wouldn't bring something I clearly don't know how to cook.
Maybe she's not from Texas so that's something to consider. But yeah stick with what you know. Tried and true.

If asked how I enjoyed the meal, I'd be honest about it.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’d respond, “I appreciate the effort, although I did not care for the meal.” And try to avoid further elaboration. If pressed, I would just leave it to “I guess I am picky about my BBQZ” trying to brush it off. .
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:24 am
Someone goes out of their way to cook and host the entire office in their own home and the employees complain about the pork being dry?
I’d probably end up firing the ones that complained sooner or later. That’s an indication of future problems.
Dried out BBQ is as bad as not serving appetizers during a cookout. What kind of future problems do you see happening?
Employees who try to spite other employees and talk badly about them for stupid reasons always cause trouble at the most inopportune times.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:54 pm
Dried out BBQ is as bad as not serving appetizers during a cookout. What kind of future problems do you see happening?
Employees who try to spite other employees and talk badly about them for stupid reasons always cause trouble at the most inopportune times.
If it's affecting the moral of the office, it should be looked into. What do you mean at the most inopportune times?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:53 pm I’d respond, “I appreciate the effort, although I did not care for the meal.” And try to avoid further elaboration. If pressed, I would just leave it to “I guess I am picky about my BBQZ” trying to brush it off. .
Perfect
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:01 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:54 pm

If it's affecting the moral of the office, it should be looked into. What do you mean at the most inopportune times?
The budget is affecting moral. This person tried to do something nice and is getting dragged for it. As soon as real problems come up, you realize they’re the ones drilling holes in the wood as you’re trying to sail the ship.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:53 pm I’d respond, “I appreciate the effort, although I did not care for the meal.” And try to avoid further elaboration. If pressed, I would just leave it to “I guess I am picky about my BBQZ” trying to brush it off. .
This is probably how I’d respond. Good luck.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:37 pm
RIZZY wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:28 pm
It wasn't in her home. She is the person who has slashed our benefits so much that employees are considering leaving and this meal was to make up for that.
What benefits exactly did she take away? She was doing her job, she was brought in to find cost saving opportunities because obviously the company couldn’t afford to keep on as they were, and she’s trying to replace it with a more cost effective way to build team morale. The food might not be your taste, but she’s not the villain.
Damn near all of them. Retirement package, health insurance, gym membership, slashed the sick/vacation/personal/work from home days, office snacks and drinks, even cream for the coffee, and all annual employee events.

I disagree; she is totally a villain, she just isn't the only one. The company wasn't hurting for money. The boss just bought a brand new $80K truck and goes on expensive vacations now constantly. She's in his ear because he offered her a piece of the company. She's not just "trying to save the company money" she is trying to make money off of the back of the other employees.

Frankly, this is low wage worker mentality; that workers who were previously well taken care of should be happy for scraps and pennies.

This is business. You keep your employees happy, they are loyal and work hard for you. You start taking away all of the reasons why your company is great to work for, employees start leaving, turnover becomes high, quality of work suffers.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I can see your point of view. It’s like by making shitty food, there was no effort involved, and it just adds insult to injury. She makes benefits cuts, lowers morale, and then manifests the downgrade in the taste and effort in the food she makes for the very employees she affected with the cuts.

I would be honest with your boss in a diplomatic way as suggested by the ladies. Something along the lines of,” It was very kind of her and the employees seem to of had a nice time.”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic