Prayer, Bible lessons and a big red bus: How an Ohio group is bringing God to public schools

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"The students soon arrived at a church a half-mile away where, for the next 30 minutes, they would pray, read the Bible and sing worship songs — activities that have become a routine part of their week thanks to an Ohio-based nonprofit on a mission to put God back in the public school day.

LifeWise Academy is permitted under a pair of little-known, decades-old U.S. Supreme Court rulings that allow for off-campus religious instruction during school hours."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/li ... rcna142172
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Who cares…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

The county in Virginia where I used to live had/has the "God Bus" for 4th graders. I want to say is was a dedicated once a week period. All those who participated got to ride the bus to a local church for snacks and "religious instruction". Those who opted out got to sit quietly at their desks for a study hall. It was billed as non-denominational Christian instruction but it was led by the pastor of our local "snake handler" church.

I hated it but wasn't going to send my kids to the school for 4th grade so didn't enter into that fight, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I suppose how people view this depends on whether or not you see religion as a positive element in society.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The Founding Fathers of our nation absolutely did NOT want religion in government. No group should be allowed to push their religion onto the rest of us, especially not on young children. It's outrageous that this town allows this nonsense.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

EarlGrayHot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:51 pm The Founding Fathers of our nation absolutely did NOT want religion in government. No group should be allowed to push their religion onto the rest of us, especially not on young children. It's outrageous that this town allows this nonsense.
This has nothing to do with religion *in* government
It is religion *allowed* by the government as an extra curricular that is the student’s choice to join or not.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:39 pm I suppose how people view this depends on whether or not you see religion as a positive element in society.
As well as what religion should be taught, who is qualified to teach it, and in what context.

I mentioned my former county's own version of the bus in the OP. My daughter didn't partake when she attended 4th grade. 4th grade she was at a secular IB school overseas and comparative religion was one of the units and I really appreciated the instruction. I equally appreciated a class she took at an IB high school - Bible in Literature. I am not opposed to a student learning about religion, even Christianity, in public school but it should be done in a comparative, non-biased manner with historical context.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mormon kids have done this for ages in my area. In the smaller towns, seminary is before school but when I transferred to one of the bigger schools it was done during the day.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

A friend of mine who is Roman Catholic has described being taken out of regular academic classes a few times a week for religious instructions.

As he's 70 now, this is going back decades ago.

The way I see this, if it's voluntary, there's no harm being done.
just an old coot 😉🌵
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:08 pm A friend of mine who is Roman Catholic has described being taken out of regular academic classes a few times a week for religious instructions.

As he's 70 now, this is going back decades ago.

The way I see this, if it's voluntary, there's no harm being done.
Was this is a Catholic school? If so, that makes sense - that is one reason parents choose a religious institution. If it is a public school that would be a lot of time taken away from academics.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic