Prayer, Bible lessons and a big red bus: How an Ohio group is bringing God to public schools

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:13 pm
But parents and activists who’ve mobilized against LifeWise say that busing students to nearby churches, where they sometimes collect prizes and eat candy, has made some non-Christian children feel left out or pressured to attend.
This is by design. Peer pressure is a great motivator to attend evangelical events/classes/programs. It’s built into it and encouraged. Pressuring kids to say a special prayer, etc.

But this is what is more concerning to me because it really goes beyond just your run of the mill evangelism…
And in December, Penton appeared on the Truth and Liberty Live Call-in Show hosted by a group whose mission is to reshape American society by advancing conservative Christian values in seven key “mountains” of public life — including media, government and education.
Image of The Child Catcher from "Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang" just popped into my head, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:08 pm A friend of mine who is Roman Catholic has described being taken out of regular academic classes a few times a week for religious instructions.

As he's 70 now, this is going back decades ago.

The way I see this, if it's voluntary, there's no harm being done.
Who was taking him out for the religious instruction?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:05 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:08 pm A friend of mine who is Roman Catholic has described being taken out of regular academic classes a few times a week for religious instructions.

IIRC, it was the parish he and his Mom attended when he was a little boy.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:38 pm

That was a normal practice in some places. If parents want that, why not send their kids to private Christian schools. That's what my parents did. I attended Catholic school to be raised in that faith. See, I'm an old coot too 😁

Most Catholics, especially that long ago, aren't trying to teach that Catholicism is the way to go. They don't really proselytize like evangelical ministries.
306/232

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:36 pm

That was a normal practice in some places. If parents want that, why not send their kids to private Christian schools. That's what my parents did. I attended Catholic school to be raised in that faith. See, I'm an old coot too 😁

Most Catholics, especially that long ago, aren't trying to teach that Catholicism is the way to go. They don't really proselytize like evangelical ministries.
The whole "God bus" really is proselytizing and frankly, evangelical Christians I believe are the only religion/sect that routinely does so. I have a problem offering candy and swim parties to kids who get on the bus in the same way that I have a problem with "gift boxes" offered to children who sign a statement of faith in developing countries. I have no problem with kids being drawn to faith but IMO, coercion to faith feels to me really yucky.

The other parental side of me is who in their right mind would have their child bussed off school grounds to a church unless they personally knew the educators? Religious institutions are pretty rife with sexual abuse so no way would I be comfortable with that and I'm surprised that parents who are not members of that particular church would be.

There IS a tremendous amount of peer pressure both student and parental. Does anyone want to be the parent that says, no, you don't get to ride the fun bus but have to stay in study hall instead? Then try to explain "why"?

If a church or organization wants to have a "God bus", do it like all the other organizations in the school - offer it as an after school activity along with Scouts, STEM club, Choir, or any other activity that may be offered.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:57 pm

The whole "God bus" really is proselytizing and frankly, evangelical Christians I believe are the only religion/sect that routinely does so. I have a problem offering candy and swim parties to kids who get on the bus in the same way that I have a problem with "gift boxes" offered to children who sign a statement of faith in developing countries. I have no problem with kids being drawn to faith but IMO, coercion to faith feels to me really yucky.

The other parental side of me is who in their right mind would have their child bussed off school grounds to a church unless they personally knew the educators? Religious institutions are pretty rife with sexual abuse so no way would I be comfortable with that and I'm surprised that parents who are not members of that particular church would be.

There IS a tremendous amount of peer pressure both student and parental. Does anyone want to be the parent that says, no, you don't get to ride the fun bus but have to stay in study hall instead? Then try to explain "why"?

If a church or organization wants to have a "God bus", do it like all the other organizations in the school - offer it as an after school activity along with Scouts, STEM club, Choir, or any other activity that may be offered.
It's creepy all around and is reminiscent to my days on the Sunday school bus for one of our oldest Baptist institutions. Ours was done on Sunday, but was also offered on Wednesday.

It does feel sleezy. Especially looking back on it. My parents knew Brother G****** (not putting his name up). But they didn't know the methods of these Sunday school teachings. And it was the same and worse when my kids were children. Sometimes it was also like the local Protestant churches were battling each other over my childrens souls, lol.

I made it through without any sexual abuse, but there were issues with both of the religious schools I attended.

Be that parent is my advice. These buses aren't teaching Scripture. They're teaching their version of a Christian America.
306/232

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:02 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:57 pm

It's creepy all around and is reminiscent to my days on the Sunday school bus for one of our oldest Baptist institutions. Ours was done on Sunday, but was also offered on Wednesday.

It does feel sleezy. Especially looking back on it. My parents knew Brother G****** (not putting his name up). But they didn't know the methods of these Sunday school teachings. And it was the same and worse when my kids were children. Sometimes it was also like the local Protestant churches were battling each other over my childrens souls, lol.

I made it through without any sexual abuse, but there were issues with both of the religious schools I attended.

Be that parent is my advice. These buses aren't teaching Scripture. They're teaching their version of a Christian America.
I went to the FB page of my former county's "God Bus" and there are pictures of dinosaurs with hunters, lol.

I've always thought that making children or parents sign a statement of faith in order to participate in a presumably open to the community activity or, in the case of mission work in developing countries, in order to receive aid, super cringy.

I would be SO incredibly wary of a church group that baited with candy in order to hear their word. Again, I'm stunned that parents are okay with this especially in this time where teachers are labeled as "groomers" but church clergy are the ones that are getting busted for grooming. That being said, I don't get the whole proselytizing thing. The churches I grew up in didn't do that kind of shit. What I find funny is that I'm pretty sure that many of these parents who stick their kids on the God Bus probably complain about the JW coming to their door, but it's the same thing! Instead of coming to your door to tell you the word, they're taking your kids to tell them.

Also, as someone who has grown up in the church and has raised my kids in a church community, I am VERY aware of the differences between denominations, beliefs, and practices within the Christian church. An Episcopalian's beliefs are significantly different from a Pentecostal's beliefs. I don't even understand how a group can be considered non-denominational and yet be teaching something like "seven mountains". While I keep saying "what are parents thinking?" I think the answer is that parents are tired and bending to their kid's and school's pressure.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:21 pm
I went to the FB page of my former county's "God Bus" and there are pictures of dinosaurs with hunters, lol.

I've always thought that making children or parents sign a statement of faith in order to participate in a presumably open to the community activity or, in the case of mission work in developing countries, in order to receive aid, super cringy....

Also, as someone who has grown up in the church and has raised my kids in a church community, I am VERY aware of the differences between denominations, beliefs, and practices within the Christian church. An Episcopalian's beliefs are significantly different from a Pentecostal's beliefs. I don't even understand how a group can be considered non-denominational and yet be teaching something like "seven mountains". While I keep saying "what are parents thinking?" I think the answer is that parents are tired and bending to their kid's and school's pressure.
Some people see the word "Christian" and assume it is a positive message organization. Other people may think if a group is permitted by the school to coordinate on school property they have been sanctioned or vetted by the school to be safe for kids.

On closer investigation the "Seven Mountains" beliefs are very un-American, anti-Democratic and would lead to the oppression of many citizens. In my opinion this is not a group that should be getting any support from the public school system including allowing pamphlets to be distributed on school grounds or buses to enter school property.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Mountain_Mandate
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Regular education should not be interrupted by religious indoctrination whether students want it or not. The general public should not have to pay for religious training. Teaching about various religions as part of history is fine but forcing the religion itself onto others is never appropriate.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:58 am
Della wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:18 pm an Ohio-based nonprofit on a mission to put God back in the public school day.
Why do I get the feeling that the Church of Satan are going to have a field day with this one?

Maybe a big white bus with cartoon smiling Satans playing chess on it, and the logo "Putting Satan back into the public schools" ?
Oh, goodness, I'd pay to see that, lol. I mean the Church of Satan doesn't actually believe in an actual Satan but it would still be funny as hell.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic