Why Character Doesn’t Matter Anymore

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Ned Flanders is not, and never was, the Christian ideal. Personal piety and upstanding morality are not enough. But we should ask the question—if The Simpsons were written today and wished to make fun of evangelical Christians, would the caricature be someone inordinately devoted to his family, to prayer, to churchgoing, to kindness to his neighbors, to the awkward purity of his speech? Or would Ned Flanders be a screaming partisan, a violent insurrectionist, a woman-ogling misogynist, or an abusive pervert?

Would that change be because the secular world has grown more hostile to Christians? Perhaps. Or would it be because, when the secular world looks at the public face of Christianity, they wouldn’t dream to think now of Ned Flanders but only of one more leering face at the strip club?
https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/20 ... acter.html

You can read the whole article at the link if you want. Russell Moore, the author of the article and editor of CT, is one of people I was referencing in this post: viewtopic.php?t=41818&start=10

However, I kinda just was wondering about y’all’s answers to those questions in the quoted portion.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Not sure if I get the "secular world has grown more hostile to Christians" premise. From what I have observed, many who profess to be "Christian" have become politically vocal and hostile to many they perceive as not part of their group.

Growing up, I never heard political speeches and talk about specific candidates in any church I attended. This seems to have changed dramatically.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic