Unspeakable

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Kristel Candelario, 32, was charged with aggravated murder and child endangerment for leaving her daughter Jailyn in a playpen at home while she went on vacation for 10 days last summer.

When Candelario returned home from her trip to Detroit and Puerto Rico, she found Jailyn unresponsive and called police.

“Jailyn was extremely dehydrated at the time of death,” the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office wrote in a press release. “Jailyn was discovered in a Pack-N-Play pen on a liner soiled with urine and feces with soiled blankets.”

An autopsy determined that the toddler had died of starvation and severe dehydration.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

What did she think would happen?? I have a hard time leaving my dogs to go out of town for the weekend with plenty of food, water, a large area to run, and a heated dog house in the winter and a pool, shade, and outdoor cots to lounge near the pool on in the summer. This lady abandoned her child! How do you just walk away and go eh she will be fine for 10 days.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

This is the type of case that makes me rethink my stance on the death penalty. 😡
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk, I suspect the mother had some sort of unusual break from reality, like a disconnect between motherhood and her other persona.

As even sociopaths, who could not empathize with their child starving, typically would have better self-preservation skills, and wish to avoid prison or a mental institution. But to just leave the child there, then call for help upon returning home…leads me to believe something was wrong with her mind.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:30 pm Idk, I suspect the mother had some sort of unusual break from reality, like a disconnect between motherhood and her other persona.

As even sociopaths, who could not empathize with their child starving, typically would have better self-preservation skills, and wish to avoid prison or a mental institution. But to just leave the child there, then call for help upon returning home…leads me to believe something was wrong with her mind.
She claimed she was depressed, and said:

"Nobody knew how much I was suffering and what I was going through. … God and my daughter have forgiven me."
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I agree. The whole situation is just bizarre. Putting her daughter in a playpen? It’s like she thought by doing so the child would be safe- like it’s not a sentient being but a fragile thing to keep physically safe? Then the shock of finding her daughter dead and calling for help. It’s like the accountability chip was missing. Seems like she was disconnected from the gravity of the situation.

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:30 pm Idk, I suspect the mother had some sort of unusual break from reality, like a disconnect between motherhood and her other persona.

MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I so agree with both of yous. Why not just leave her free reign in the house? It was actually like she cared a little by putting her in the play pen. Why did she care to even do that? Such a bizarre situation.
cgd5112 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:48 pm I agree. The whole situation is just bizarre. Putting her daughter in a playpen? It’s like she thought by doing so the child would be safe- like it’s not a sentient being but a fragile thing to keep physically safe? Then the shock of finding her daughter dead and calling for help. It’s like the accountability chip was missing. Seems like she was disconnected from the gravity of the situation.

Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I read the account before school one morning. Stories such as these make me physically ill. While I know mental health services are difficult in the US, if she knew she was struggling g why not ask for help...instead she goes on vacation with a boyfriend. Ugh.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:03 pm

"Nobody knew how much I was suffering and what I was going through. … God and my daughter have forgiven me."
That quote almost makes me more mad than the incident itself. I'll admit I don't know the full story. I'll admit I don't fully understand things about mental health issues.
But to say "Nobody knew how much I was suffering"
Well then F***ing tell someone! If you (general) are struggling and suffering, don't keep it to yourself. TELL SOMEONE! I feel like I will never understand why it's so incredibly hard for people to say "I need help."
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:19 pm
Aletheia wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:03 pm

That quote almost makes me more mad than the incident itself. I'll admit I don't know the full story. I'll admit I don't fully understand things about mental health issues.
But to say "Nobody knew how much I was suffering"
Well then F***ing tell someone! If you (general) are struggling and suffering, don't keep it to yourself. TELL SOMEONE! I feel like I will never understand why it's so incredibly hard for people to say "I need help."
That's because you have never been there. When every little bit of life is overwhelming the very thought of telling anyone is just another thing. I didn't want to burden anyone with my problems and I felt like it was just opening a can of worms where I'd be forced to go from doing what I had to just to survive to someone demanding more of me because they wanted to help. It's hard to explain but it's very overwhelming and it's hard to admit how bad things have gotten especially since by that point you've often lost most of the people you would have previously turned to.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic