Planet Fitness revokes a woman's membership after she takes photos in the women's locker room of a transgender shaving

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/planet-f ... ocker-room

https://www.advocate.com/news/planet-fi ... rans-woman

Patricia Sylva walked into the women's locker room at a Planet Fitness and saw a transgender female shaving. Patricia first approached the transgender individual about their presence there and then went and complained to the employees at the front desk who according to Patricia refused to address the issue. Before leaving the facility Patricia took photos of the transgender individual in the locker room and then went to social media to complain. Planet Fitness revoked Patricia's membership for taking photos in a locker room, something that goes against PF's rules.

"As the home of the Judgement Free Zone, Planet Fitness is committed to creating an inclusive environment," Planet Fitness chief corporate affairs officer McCall Gosselin said in a statement to Fox News Digital. "Our gender identity non-discrimination policy, states that members and guests may use the gym facilities that best align with their sincere, self-reported gender identity. The member who posted on social media violated our mobile device policy that prohibits taking photos of individuals in the locker room, which resulted in their membership being terminated."

I've included a couple different links because you get different vibes off the article depending on who's publishing it.

But what do you think? Was Patricia right to complain? Should she have left well enough alone? Should PF change their policies or were they correct to carry them out the way they did?
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Women have to be ok with losing all ability to be naked in locker rooms without having naked men in their too…you can’t get upset. Just accept it…

Sad, but one of the reasons I would never allow my daughters to join a gym. The one at school is perfectly fine…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Did Patricia not know PF's locker room policy? If not, staff should have made her aware of the policy when she complained. She had no right to take a picture in the locker room (most spa's and fitness centers have this rule). PF has the right to make their own bathroom policy and PF was right to terminate her membership.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Both of those policies are in writing so Patricia is in the wrong here. If she doesn't like the club's rules, she is free to find a less-inclusive one
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 pm Women have to be ok with losing all ability to be naked in locker rooms without having naked men in their too…you can’t get upset. Just accept it…

Sad, but one of the reasons I would never allow my daughters to join a gym. The one at school is perfectly fine…
Nobody was naked and Planet Fitness has private changing rooms. Most gyms do, I think.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:28 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 pm Women have to be ok with losing all ability to be naked in locker rooms without having naked men in their too…you can’t get upset. Just accept it…

Nobody was naked and Planet Fitness has private changing rooms. Most gyms do, I think.
In this particular story no one was naked… Naked people are in locker rooms though.

12 year olds are in locker rooms…

We’ve now gotten so “inclusive” that if a 12 year old girl is sitting on the benches in a locker room and a naked grown man walks by with his dick at face height of that child, we tell the child to shut the f**k up and deal with it because the adults in your life are ok with that now…
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:33 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:28 pm

In this particular story no one was naked… Naked people are in locker rooms though.

12 year olds are in locker rooms…

We’ve now gotten so “inclusive” that if a 12 year old girl is sitting on the benches in a locker room and a naked grown man walks by with his dick at face height of that child, we tell the child to shut the f**k up and deal with it because the adults in your life are ok with that now…
Why would you think someone would do that? Trans people have just as much human decency as the rest of us. And that behavior also violates PF policies, just so you know. So nobody just has to deal with it.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'd trust a trans woman to behave appropriately around a 12 year old girl far more than I'd trust a bunch of gym rats to behave appropriately with a trans woman in THEIR locker room.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 pm I'd trust a trans woman to behave appropriately around a 12 year old girl far more than I'd trust a bunch of gym rats to behave appropriately with a trans woman in THEIR locker room.
I know quite a few transgender adults and all of them have used the bathroom or locker room of the gender they align with since childhood. These fears are groundless but have been ginned up since Houston, Texas in 2015 in opposition to LBGTQ non-discrimination laws. That was when the whole transgender in bathroom conversation began. The fears expressed then never came into fruition but they're still repeating them.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Every locker room I've ever used, including the YMCA, Planet Fitness, LA Fitness, etc., has had large signs posted "No Cell Phone Camera Use in Locker Rooms"

If Sylva had an issue with behavior in the locker room, she has every right to complain or ask for a conversation with management. But taking photos is not OK.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic